PDA

View Full Version : Best Porter Cable kit for Beginner??

Djd84
09-25-2009, 05:35 PM
I am looking to get into detailing by getting myself one of the Porter Cable kits from the store on here. I have never used a rotary before but I think I can handle it. So the question I ask is which kit should I buy? I was looking thru the kits on the site and theres just too many and I'm unsure of what will be best for what I need. I am looking at spending around $400 total after the kit and some other stuff like brushes and mitts. I dont have much now, except for some supplies Ive picked up from AutoZone over the years. So Im basically looking to get everything I need for exterior detailing for now. Im not worried about the interior as I can get by on what I have until I get the hang of using a rotary. Im also not concerned about engine supplies or anything like that. I will only be doing my two cars and a few family members to get myself trained over the coming winter months. Im on a budget for the time being so this initial investment needs to get me by until I get the hang of things. Thanks in advance for the help.

LincolnZephyr2006
09-25-2009, 05:53 PM
First of all, welcome. Second of all, the porter cable is not a rotary/circular polisher. It is called dual action.... and is made for beginners or people who do not want to do complete paint correction. In your case... a dual action would be perfect until you have enough experience to master a rotary. You will not burn the paint with a dual action, so it is completely safe for new users of machine polishing. I do not have too much time on my hands.... but a good starter kit is the PCXP with the megs 105/205 combination. I will post back more later for you.

cjsls
09-25-2009, 07:06 PM
what kind of correction if any do you wish to accomplish on the cars you want to work on? light swirl marks? i think what you want to accomplish will def have an affect(effect?) on which products you will want to buy(polishes, glazes, etc) as well as what kind of pads to buy. my .02

MisterShark
09-25-2009, 07:56 PM
I am looking at spending around $400 total

Im on a budget for the time being

Nice 'budget' :xyxthumbs:

Djd84
09-25-2009, 07:59 PM
My Civic has light swirl marks and water spots on the roof, trunk, etc. My girls Monte Carlo has tons of swirls and red paint that is very hazy in direct sunlight. My initial goal would be to correct these issues. I am more or less just looking for a kit that I can learn with. I have been skimming this site and picking up some things but I would like to have a kit that has the basic needs of a beginner like myself. I plan on buying separately what a kit doesnt provide so I can complete a full exterior detail with about $400-$500 worth of quality product.

j1n
09-25-2009, 09:11 PM
google flex vs Porter cable. after my research i went with a Flex. i spent around 500 total for the flex kit pads and optimum compound II, Polish II and some 4 star UPP.

ScottB
09-25-2009, 09:37 PM
I think any of the ceramiclear kits with PC, Flex, Griots, or Megs 100 buffer is a great starting point. Polishes are easy to use with great results. 5.5 inch pads are best with PC. Flex is certainly the hot ticket but also more expensive.

Djd84
09-25-2009, 09:49 PM
I think any of the ceramiclear kits with PC, Flex, Griots, or Megs 100 buffer is a great starting point. Polishes are easy to use with great results. 5.5 inch pads are best with PC. Flex is certainly the hot ticket but also more expensive.

The more I'm looking the more I'm thinking I might go with the PC Megs kit. Ive read a lot of good things about M105/205 so I feel confident in going with them. Im going to do some more research before go ahead with a kit but Im leaning towards the Meguiars at this pt. I figure if I buy that kit along with some other various things I will need (wax, brushes, etc) I should have a good place to start my detailing. My only question is will this kit be sufficient as far as the pads it comes with or should I pick up a couple more? It shows it comes w/ 2 grays and 2 oranges but I dont know if that enough.

LincolnZephyr2006
09-25-2009, 10:45 PM
You don't need the black/gray pads.... they are generally used for glazes or waxes. You need to use the orange pad for 105 or yellow if it is VERY rough and a white polishing pad for the 205. You should be fine with two of each. Maybe a 5.5 set and a 6.5 set. The PCXP will be perfect for any beginner. Good luck and don't be afraid to ask anything else.

ScottB
09-26-2009, 07:59 AM
The Megs 105/205 combo is certainly a great combo too. The reason I suggest Menzerna SIP/Nano over them is the use of diminishing abrasives by Menzerna. For weekend detailers and hobbist I feel the extra degree of safety of polishes that break down are a nice option. I also feel Menzerna polishes are about the easiest to learn and offer great results for all users. Just my opinion ..

Djd84
09-26-2009, 10:15 AM
The Megs 105/205 combo is certainly a great combo too. The reason I suggest Menzerna SIP/Nano over them is the use of diminishing abrasives by Menzerna. For weekend detailers and hobbist I feel the extra degree of safety of polishes that break down are a nice option. I also feel Menzerna polishes are about the easiest to learn and offer great results for all users. Just my opinion ..

I see. Does anyone else have any opinions as far as the Menzerna kit vs. the Megs kit?