PDA

View Full Version : My Personal car FULLY done- Lincoln Zephyr Dune Pearl

LincolnZephyr2006
09-25-2009, 03:02 PM
I bought the car in 2008 and it needed a major overhaul. The paint was full of swirls, and the interior was in neglect. This little project took me a time span of two weeks since I am a fulltime student in school right now (last year @ UK!). I decided to do a little at a time and the end results are amazing. I got my first toothbrush to scrub wheels when I was 4 (given and learned by my dad) and have since mastered to be the best detailer I can be. Since the car is my daily driver, I decided to use the PCXP on it instead of the Dewalt. Of course, there are some RIDS here and there, but that does not bother me. Also... I took off every single wheel and cleaned behind and sealed them with DP wheel glaze. The paint looks pristine. Here are the products I used for each step:

EXTERIOR:
-Washed with Megs shampoo (blue) and cobra microfiber mitt
-Clayed with Auto Magic clay (blue) using Auto Magic lube
-PCXP
-LCC Orange w/ Megs 105
-LCC White w/ Megs 205
-Dewalt- 3m blue finesse pad ultrifina
-sealed with megs nxt gen 2.0
-topped with Nattys Red (Personal Favorite/ using shamrock to wipe off)
-Door jambs cleaned with megs green APC and rubbers sealed with megs silicone free dressing/Spray waxed with XMT 360 carnuba spray wax
-DP Tire Gel for tires- one coat
-Fenderwells dressed with megs silicone free dressing
-Exhaust tips polished with eagle one never-dull
-Black components dyed using forever black stick
-Windows cleaned with waffle weave and sprayway glass cleaner

Wheels:
-Took each off and using wheel acid to scrub stubborn spots
-Griots wheel cleaner for outside
-Dried and sealed with DP wheel glaze

Engine:
-APC citrus cleaner diluted 10:1
-Fenderwell brush
-Dressed with megs silicone free dressing
-Used air vent brush to detail various and tight components

Interior:
-Wolfgang carpet stain remover for stubborn spots
-Carpet brush and megs APC green for non-stubborn spots
-Leatherique Pristine Clean to clean seats
-Zaino Leather in a bottle to condition seats and all vinyl components
-Megs 17 plastic lens cleaner for cluster
-Monster Screen clean for cluster and DVD player

And here are the pics- I will get more since it has been cloudy ALL WEEK in good ole Kentucky

Car has 49K on it currently

LincolnZephyr2006
09-25-2009, 03:05 PM
And more....

r0ckstrWS6
09-25-2009, 03:41 PM
awesome job. the inside of the wheels look clean enough to eat off of

Steven C
09-25-2009, 09:32 PM
Look like the cars brand new awesome work :xyxthumbs:

ScottB
09-25-2009, 09:35 PM
great work ...

ASPHALT ROCKET
09-25-2009, 10:05 PM
Nice job and awesome rotary.:xyxthumbs:

Harleyguy
09-25-2009, 10:13 PM
Great write up and great products you used.The car came out great

vwgtivw
09-25-2009, 10:29 PM
:dblthumb2:

belcherm58
09-26-2009, 04:37 AM
Good Job. Tell me about the weather. I live in Nicholasville. Rain and
more Rain and clouds.

Matt
09-26-2009, 07:11 AM
Wow! You've got that car looking BEAUTIFUL!

For a car that you said was in major neglect when you got it, it now looks like a brand new car! What a turn around!:coolgleam::cool pics:

For that DP tyre gel, did you buff that after one coat or just apply and leave as is?

I'm a bit confused by the wheels, are they painted white on the inside and then clearcoated aluminum on the outside? Or is it uncoated aluminum on the inside which is why it looks like white paint? (or even just the flash?).

EDIT: Oh, are they painted? I just took another look and thought...hmmm....

Meghan
09-26-2009, 08:26 AM
Very nice job on those wheels, you don't see it often where someone will actually remove them to fully clean them! :applause:

Bunky
09-26-2009, 09:41 AM
Very nice job on those wheels, you don't see it often where someone will actually remove them to fully clean them! :applause:

When I rotate my tires (often do it myself), I try to clean the back sides. However, mine are not nearly as clean as his. I still have some stains.

LincolnZephyr2006
09-26-2009, 10:09 AM
First of all, thanks for the comments guys. I really appreciate it. Tell you the truth... the car looks SO MUCH better in person. The pictures just don't do it justice. My dad just bought my mom a 09 Cadillac CTS and wants to know every single product I use.

Wow! You've got that car looking BEAUTIFUL!

For a car that you said was in major neglect when you got it, it now looks like a brand new car! What a turn around!:coolgleam::cool pics:

For that DP tyre gel, did you buff that after one coat or just apply and leave as is?

I'm a bit confused by the wheels, are they painted white on the inside and then clearcoated aluminum on the outside? Or is it uncoated aluminum on the inside which is why it looks like white paint? (or even just the flash?).

EDIT: Oh, are they painted? I just took another look and thought...hmmm....

Wish I could have taken before pics! It seems as if its uncoated aluminum on the inside of the wheels... the flash made it look really bright as if they were white. If you look at the picture with the camera going through the spoke of the wheel... you will see what I mean. Oh, and the DP tire gel is buffed after one coat. The key to this is tire prep. Now, since my tire is relatively new.... it does not take a lot to make them shiny. A little goes a long way... I have used DP tire gel for two months now and the bottle is still full. Just remember to thoroughly clean tires before any dressing is applied.

When I rotate my tires (often do it myself), I try to clean the back sides. However, mine are not nearly as clean as his. I still have some stains.

For the rough and stubborn stains... you are going to need really agressive wheel acid... as I did in my case. Also, there were large amounts of tar (which took the longest getting off). But, as you can see, the results were astounding.