PDA

View Full Version : Chenille Wash Mitts

ZmZoom6
09-23-2006, 09:14 PM
I just picked up some Chenille wash mitts from Ocean State Job Lot (similar to big lots). Do you think these would be safe to use on the lower/rocker panels of the car and inside the wheel wells?

sparkie
09-24-2006, 05:41 AM
I just picked up some Chenille wash mitts from Ocean State Job Lot (similar to big lots). Do you think these would be safe to use on the lower/rocker panels of the car and inside the wheel wells?

My thinking is yes. I have myself two mitts, one for the top only, one for the lower panels!

justin_murphy
09-24-2006, 07:44 AM
I like chenille mitts. They hold and release dirt well. Just use the 2 bucket method and have one mitt for the upper and lower panels and you should be fine.

ZmZoom6
09-24-2006, 08:14 AM
when you say upper, do you mean the hood, truck, etc. or just the upper body panels on the doors?

justin_murphy
09-24-2006, 08:17 AM
If you have molding on your doors, below this is the lower. As well as the wheels. Mostly where the majority of the dirt slings up from the tires. You may have to be the judge here.

ZmZoom6
09-24-2006, 08:37 AM
So you use them on the whole car. I just wanted to make sure that they were safe to use (esp. coming from biglots or somewhere). I'll wash them first just to be safe. Thanks...

P1et
09-24-2006, 08:40 AM
Justin: what do you use for washing the car itself? I'm still using the 99c sponges from Wal*Mart (I know, I know!!!) and need some help...

justin_murphy
09-24-2006, 08:45 AM
I used the same sponges for 6 months. Well not the same exact sponge! I like sponges because they rinse clean easy and clean good. Now I use the EDGE ShMitt. I reviewed it last week.....
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2061

sparkie
09-24-2006, 09:55 AM
AG link: http://www.autogeek.net/washing.html

Here's the way I wash:
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1714

ASPHALT ROCKET
09-24-2006, 12:59 PM
I only use them on the wheels of my C6.

emaxxman
09-24-2006, 02:23 PM
I use a Meguiar's chenille wash sponge. It has stayed pretty soft. I like the sponge because it's more ergonomic than a wash mitt. I also like the fact that I can just let the weight of the sponge do the scrubbing. The fibers let the dirt loose very well too. In fact, I've used the sponge for the entire summer on two cars and it's still pretty white. A thorough rinse after each use and 2 rinse buckets keep it pretty clean.

With that said, I am looking at getting a very plush microfiber sponge to try. I may get the Cobra one with my next order.

supercharged
09-24-2006, 02:51 PM
Justin: what do you use for washing the car itself? I'm still using the 99c sponges from Wal*Mart (I know, I know!!!) and need some help...
99c sponge on your own car?:eek:

I use chenille wash mitts for family cars and beulk detailing only. My car gets microfiber mitts, sheepskin mitts, and Natural sea sponge only.Im the MAN

ScottB
09-24-2006, 03:19 PM

I think I am going to need to suspend you until you see the AG way. Sponges ... sprinkle a little dirt on a sponge and go wipe your finish. Serious !! Your playing with fire .... in a pinch use a soft microfiber towel. The Miracle Towel (little big) and the new purple ultra-plush (perfect size) will offer more nap and a better clean without damage.

As for chenille .... I use to swear by the Pinnacle version. Two things I found. They hold lint and other items like no tomorrow, and after 10 or so uses seem to get very matted. So its sheepshin or micro's for me for washing. Wouldnt hesitate to use the .99 Walmart Sponge or Chenille in my wheelwells however.

justin_murphy
09-24-2006, 04:05 PM
And sheepskins hold everything....drop it just once. You will never get everything out. Plus, as it ages, the fibers become rougher and rougher from the wear making them harsh.
Sponges never change.

aceshigh73
09-24-2006, 04:37 PM
And sheepskins hold everything....drop it just once. You will never get everything out. Plus, as it ages, the fibers become rougher and rougher from the wear making them harsh.
Sponges never change.

Same with MF... Drop a $10 Miracle towel onto the ground.... makes you wanna scream..... I've dropped 2 of my 3, and then I went to the Ultra-plush.... Very nice towel, but I think the Miracle had more bite to buff the wax/sealant off the cars....
One of these days I will replace the Miracles.....