PDA

View Full Version : White road paint (from the lines)

redgt03
09-23-2009, 11:35 AM
My bosses wife got the white road paint down both sides of their new Jeep. It is in pretty thick lines up and down the sides.........I have tried a few citrus cleaners - didnt do anything, tried rubbing compound - nope -tried very little paint thinner - nope a dent................i used clay first and that worked alittle, but would probably take 10+ hours to get it all off. Anyone have a suggestion??? Laquor thinnr maybe? I do not want to wet sand it. Thank you

Chad

Mike Phillips
09-23-2009, 11:50 AM
This came up recently, not sure which words to use to do a search however.

This is where the "Popular Tags" hack for vB sure comes in handy.

The thing about about Government approved highway paint is they make the suppliers for this type of paint make the paint to really be tough, they don't want it wearing off pavement that's driven over and over and over in all weather conditions by zillions of tires over the course of time and that makes removing it from anything really difficult.

As often as this problem is posted to all the detailing and niche forums you would think someone would hold the Government accountable and make them offer a solution to this type of problem.

Did you try a compound by hand with terry cloth? You can exert more power with your 4 fingers to a small area than any machine with a buffing pad. It's not fun but it's true.

Mineral Spirits
Turpentine
Lacquer Thinner

Would all be safe to try, I wouldn't recommend MEK or Acetone as both of these are pretty nasty to your skin and could dissolve your car's paint or at least soften and dull it.

Might give this a try too....

Motsenbocker's LIFT OFF 4

http://www.liftoffinc.com/images/wizard.gif MOTSENBOCKER'S LIFT OFF 4 (http://www.liftoffinc.com/product-graffiti-remover.php)

It's states it's primarily for Rattle Can Spray Paint. It was less than $8.00 so it wouldn't be to expensive to test out. Next to it were some other products for the same purpose but the Lowe's salesperson said they've tried them all for use in the Lowe's store and the Motsenbockers worked the best.

Here's what the website states about the product,

#4 Graffiti Remover

Mötsenböcker’s Lift Off® #4 Spray Paint Graffiti Remover is the only water–based, biodegradable and Green Cross Certified, by Scientific Certification Systems, graffiti remover in the world! It effectively removes all types of oil based paints, varnishes, lacquers and spray paints from all types of surfaces including: stucco, concrete, cars & trucks, brick, metal, plastic and more!
Features and Benefits

Spray Paint Graffiti Remover
Green Cross Certified
Low–VOC
Water–Based
Biodegradable
Safe for the Environment & User
Works On:

Oil–Based Paints • Varnishes • Lacquers • Spray Paints • Old & Fresh Paint • Acrylics • Primers • Enamels • Sealers • Aerosol Paint • Acrylic Enamels • Semi–Gloss • High–Gloss & More!
Safe On:

Hard, Soft, Porous Surfaces including: Stucco • Concrete • Cars & Trucks • Brick • Metal • Plastic • Street Signs • Utility Boxes • Tile • Vinyl • Plexiglas® • Aluminum • Stainless Steel • Fiberglass • Split Rock • Formica® • Slumpstone & More!

craigr
09-23-2009, 12:00 PM
I had this behind a couple wheel wells on my van. After trying all the options you already listed I found the best way for me to get it off was to push one side with my fingernail until it popped the bond with the paint. You have to be cautious not to gouge the paint but a plastic scrapper will work if there is a lot. Try this after softening it first with solvent. Of course follow with polish and protectant.
Craig

vwgtivw
09-23-2009, 12:05 PM
You might want to try WD-40 and then do what craigr suggest with the plastic scrapper.

r0ckstrWS6
09-23-2009, 12:28 PM
I'd try out the Lacquer Thinner

Jimmie
09-23-2009, 12:32 PM
Like Mike said maybe a graffiti remover. I'd contact the road dept. to see if they will give you some. It's the policy in my town that if you get tagged with graffiti the city will give you a can of remover for clean up. If not I've seen it at the hardware store.

O.C.Detailing
09-23-2009, 10:33 PM
2500 Grit wet-sand it off...takes seconds to remove pretty much all of it and all you have to do is remove the lightest sanding marks. You don't even need to apply any pressure. Use soapy water, 3M 2500 grit wetordry paper and a Meguiar's sanding block (the softest one you can find) and go to it. I had to remove it from both sides of my wife's Saab. It coated the entire lower portion of the car and the undersides of the mirrors...the ONLY way I could get it off easily was wet-sanding. Not sure of chemical removers. You can try, but with 2 no-pressure passes of 2500 grit wet sand paper, pretty much all of it was either gone or I could wipe the rest off with the towel I was drying the panel with and anything else came up with my machine and polish. Not even a compound, just a polish on an orange pad. Good luck though.

redgt03
09-24-2009, 08:27 AM
Thank you everyone...i will try the graffeti remover...laquor thinner...than wet sand. Tried wd-40 already.

qship5
09-24-2009, 08:52 AM
I had this happen to me once quite a few years ago. Most states will actually pay for getting it removed if you contact the D.O.T. and tell them when and where you got the paint on the car. This won't help in the actual removal process, but might save them some money.

MI Mike
09-24-2009, 10:38 AM
I had this happen a couple of years ago, except it was the yellow with the reflective grit in it. Took it to my local car dealer body shop. They looked at it identified the paint as highway paint, contacted our Dept. of Transportation and did the work and bill the DOT for the work. They mentioned that the company doing the work has an insurance policy with the state to handle these things. How it helps.:xyxthumbs:

z06meister
09-24-2009, 01:59 PM
I have soaked it with isopryl alchohol and then used a plastic body filler squeezee to remove it in the past. It IS NOT an easy task.

bill walsh
09-30-2009, 06:41 PM
redgt03 how did you make out getting road paint off?