PDA

View Full Version : Winter Temperature Waxing

alexjn1
09-23-2009, 08:35 AM
With snow and muck soon approaching I was wondering about temperature ranges when I clean my truck. I added some basic info.

I have an insulated garage but no heat.

I plan on doing an ONR wash from time to time when truck is not excessively dirty. :buffing:

I plan on doing a good Fall detail and will be using Wolfgang 3.0 sealant topped with Souveran.

I would like to clean my truck occasionally throughout the winter months and use either a liquid or paste wax to help keep my finish protected. :detailer:

I am wondering just how cold can it get within my garage and still be able to use a wax from time to time. :dunno:

I will be keeping all of my supplies in the house during the winter so they will be at a good room temperature when I use them.

dionnfr
09-23-2009, 08:58 AM
Alex I basically am concerned about the winter months. I do an ONR wash from time ti time, sometime I also just go down to local wash and just spray as much salt and gunk off and then go home and do an ONR. I basically do teo coats of Collinite 845 in Middle to end of October and this has been enough to get me through the winter.

MisterShark
09-23-2009, 09:00 AM
Looking towards the Winter months I'm planning on a good full detail as well for my cars.

Based on what I've gleened from all the input here I'm planning on using Collinite 845 (due to it's reported durability) as my LSP for this Winter prep detail, and will not expect to do another full detail until the Spring thaw.
An occaisional ONR wash and QD-enhanced drying will be supplementing the 845's layer of protection.

The Jerk McGerk
09-23-2009, 09:03 AM
Ughhh winter months are approaching aren't they. As much as I love snowboarding my car takes such a beating. I'm going to look into the Collinite 845 as mentioned above, never heard of it.

SRHTX
09-23-2009, 09:06 AM
Winter? Snow? Ics? what are those? We do not get those kinda things down here, so, I will not be able to assist ya on any of that information. LOL j/k

Stephen

r0ckstrWS6
09-23-2009, 09:22 AM
a good sealant will definetely help keep the car protected during the winter months. I try to do two layers of a good sealant for extra protection, I use wolfgangs sealant and collinite 845( insulator wax).

Collinite Liquid Insulator Wax #845 FREE BONUS (http://www.autogeek.net/collinite-insulator-wax-845.html)

Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant delivers a deep, wet, liquid shimmer unlike anything you can imagine. (http://www.autogeek.net/wg5500.html)

Bunky
09-23-2009, 10:42 AM
I have an attached but unheated garage. It does not really get that cold here but the garage is usually 45 F to 50 F worst case except when it is around 15 - 20 F outside (maybe around 38 F in the garage as the lowest reading recorded)...NC weather.

I have worked (ONR, polish, wax) when it is usually 50 F. If I turn on my 1000W halogens the garage heats up 5 degrees. I have kept a thermometer near my chemicals to be sure they do not get close to freezing.

The Jerk McGerk
09-23-2009, 11:53 AM
Is the collinite applied as a LSP or would a sealant go on after?

ronkh57
09-23-2009, 01:27 PM
Is the collinite applied as a LSP or would a sealant go on after?

Sealants normally go under the wax. Sealants for the most part wont bond to wax.
Collinite is a hybrid wax, so it's part wax part sealant. So under
but
Collinite has some very strong solvents in it, so it may remove some of the previously applied sealant.

alexjn1
09-23-2009, 05:01 PM
Thanks everyone for the guidance and suggestions it is greatly appreciated. :thankyousign:

All I have to do now is get a thermometer for the garage and maybe an electric space heater to use as a temporary booster on days when I do clean my truck during the winter. :D