PDA

View Full Version : How can you get Cement off the side of a car and wheelwells?

Pages : [1] 2

SpotlessDetail
09-22-2009, 07:12 PM
I have a client that drove her car through a cement filled hole at about 30mph! It is really bad. Looks like someone took a handful of cement and spread it on the car in a nice even thick layer. Dont forget the wheel wells. Not sure what I can do about this.Feed back please

bill walsh
09-22-2009, 07:42 PM
i know some guys have used dry ice and some have used a cement remover chemical

gewb
09-22-2009, 08:06 PM
I have a client that drove her car through a cement filled hole at about 30mph! It is really bad. Looks like someone took a handful of cement and spread it on the car in a nice even thick layer. Dont forget the wheel wells. Not sure what I can do about this.

:postpics:

...well, not worthless but pics would surely help!

Follow this link about a product called Back-Step. On the left navigation bar you can find their phone number...give them a call in the morning.

http://romixchem.com/romix_cart/back_set.php

I'll bet a bar or two of clay (I would use Clay Magic blue) will be one of the steps required before polishing.

Regards,
GEWB

SpotlessDetail
09-22-2009, 08:09 PM
No haha I dont think you understand... It is literally a 1/16th - 1/8th inch thick. You cant see paint through it! You dont need pics, just picture a couple handfuls of cement thrown at the side of a car. Thanks for the quick replies.

loudog2
09-22-2009, 08:10 PM
Did you try a pressure washer?

gewb
09-22-2009, 08:11 PM
No haha I dont think you understand... It is literally a 1/16th - 1/8th inch thick. You cant see paint through it! You dont need pics, just picture a couple handfuls of cement thrown at the side of a car. Thanks for the quick replies.

OK but still check out the link.

You need a mild acidic cleaner as concrete/cement is alkaline...mild is the key so the finish isn't affected. Then clay and polish.

Regards,
GEWB

SpotlessDetail
09-22-2009, 08:15 PM
Yah the link is sounds like a good product. Havnt tried pressure washer as I know that if that stuff comes off with pressure... so will the paint. I cant even scrape it off with my finger nail. Hard as a rock. Anyone know of a product I can go out and buy? She wants it done ASAP as it totally looks like crap.

DLB
09-22-2009, 08:18 PM
Nevermind the following, just saw gewb's post. :D

There's some stuff called Back Set Cement Remover made specifically for the auto industry. Haven't tried it myself, but anything is worth a shot for a paint job that is already ruined.
I found it online with Google. Surprised they don't have it here at the Geek...

DLB

gewb
09-22-2009, 08:19 PM
Yah the link is sounds like a good product. Havnt tried pressure washer as I know that if that stuff comes off with pressure... so will the paint. I cant even scrape it off with my finger nail. Hard as a rock. Anyone know of a product I can go out and buy? She wants it done ASAP as it totally looks like crap.

Call the company in the link. If they think it will work have them overnight a couple quarts or do two day delivery and bill your customer. Other than that, see what kind of citric cleaners you can find, one that's a mild acid to desolve the alkaline concrete.

Regards,
GEWB

SpotlessDetail
09-22-2009, 08:22 PM
Yah thanks for that link. I think I will call them tomorrow and ask if they want me to try it out. I'll let everyone know how it goes. I'll put up some pics as well.

gewb
09-22-2009, 08:32 PM
Good luck and keep us posted!

If your customer OKs the expense for the Back-Set, be sure to document your process with pics...hope it works for you.

Regards,
GEWB

WindyCity
09-22-2009, 09:25 PM
I have been a bricklayer for 14 years and my dad is a bricklayer since 1957 so i have have mortar on my car and work trucks many times in the past. we use muriatic acid on the work trucks to take the splashed mortar off. You have to be very careful as this acid will mess up the paint but if you dilute it 75% water 25% acid and just dab it on the cement it will take it off. keep rinsing it with water every minute and reapply the acid water mix and it will take it off no problem.....I have been wanting to try back set but I just haven't ordered it yet.

BEFORE EVERYBODY CRITICIZES MY USE OF MURIATIC ACID ON CARS I DID SAY THAT IT IS NOT MEANT FOR AUTO PAINT HOWEVER WE HAVE BEEN USING IT ON OUR MASONRY VEHICLES FOR 20 YEARS AND HAVE YET TO MESS UP THE PAINT........THESE ARE WORK TRUCKS THOUGH SO THEY DO NOT HAVE SHOW FINISHES ON THEM.......IT MIGHT STAIN THE PAINT BUT I HAVE NEVER PERSONALLY SEEN THIS ON OUR TRUCKS

OK had to do caps cause i know there will be alot of criticism on using acid however dried cement and concrete will not wash, or clay off.....PERIOD. A pressure washer will mess up the paint as well since you need so much power in one area that it WILL damage the paint as well. Concrete/mortar also has sand in it so it WILL scratch the paint if you try to "pick" it off. Muriatic acid dissolves and breaks down the Portland cement and causes cement to lose its bond....Thats why you use it before you paint your garage floor....it etches the concrete.

Just remember to make it very mild and try it...if you need more strength add a dab of acid. GOOD LUCK

TSIBrian
09-22-2009, 09:45 PM
Might be too late but I always hear about people using distilled white vinegar with great results.

Matt
09-23-2009, 05:21 AM
Might be too late but I always hear about people using distilled white vinegar with great results.

This gets my vote as the first option to try as it's the least aggressive on the paint. But, I would expect that BackdraftDJP would know about what options there are as he works with the stuff every day.

I hope you can find a suitable solution to this so that anyone else who has this problem in the future has a tried remedy to it.

RaskyR1
09-23-2009, 10:45 AM

+1

I've heard many others mention this too. It may take a little longer but it's also much safer. :xyxthumbs: