PDA

View Full Version : 6" backing plate on PC??

BlackRocks
09-23-2006, 12:58 PM
I have a 6" backing plate and was wondering if the PC can handle it. I am working on large, flat panels(truck) and don't need the safety margin of the smaller backing plate on a 6.5" pad. However, I feel like the PC may have been getting a tad warmer, almost hot, during use, so I went back to my 5" backing plate and the same pad. Seemed to run just like before. Does anyone use a 6" backing plate on their PC regularly? If so, does it run hot, or hotter, than when you use something smaller? My PC was purchased from AG.

Thank you,
Todd

Rapidity
09-23-2006, 01:30 PM
someone here did a panel truck and said it was a BIG job! search and you should be able to find it.

Kelso
09-23-2006, 05:29 PM
i had problems with my pc overheating to the point where i was burning my hands a little. i dont know what the problem was but i eliminated all factors. i replaced the PC, lightened my pressure a tad, but i wasnt using much pressure, and watched a ton of videos on working with the pc. also i bought a nice extension cord for like 30 bucks at lowes. now it doesnt get hot at all really... anyways you probably either need to lighten the pressure or get a a better cord to eliminate the heat

BlackRocks
09-23-2006, 11:03 PM
i had problems with my pc overheating to the point where i was burning my hands a little. i dont know what the problem was but i eliminated all factors. i replaced the PC, lightened my pressure a tad, but i wasnt using much pressure, and watched a ton of videos on working with the pc. also i bought a nice extension cord for like 30 bucks at lowes. now it doesnt get hot at all really... anyways you probably either need to lighten the pressure or get a a better cord to eliminate the heat

I was trying to think of the pressure issue. With the larger backing plate, it would be very easy to apply more pressure to the pad and not notice. With the smaller backing plate, you can actually see the pad bend around the backing plate as you apply more pressure. The extension cord isn't the issue. I have a 25' builders' cord that is 10 gauge wire. That is the only cord I use with my detailing work and most of the time the PC just plugs right into the wall with no cord(I have the 25' corded version of the PC).

Todd

Kelso
09-23-2006, 11:07 PM
they came out with the 25 foot HD version right after i got my pc...oh well cant win em all!

starting to sound like your putting too much pressure on it...its hard for me to find a sweet spot of not too much or not enough pressure..

BlackRocks
09-26-2006, 08:30 PM
starting to sound like your putting too much pressure on it...its hard for me to find a sweet spot of not too much or not enough pressure..

Yeah, I think this may be my issue as well. I went ahead and put the threaded handle shaft on it and put it to work on some large truck panels. It did get warm, but not hot, using the same 6" backing plate. I'll chalk it up to a combination of my hands covering the vent/breathing area and the pressure.

Todd

Oceanedge
09-27-2006, 07:54 AM
Actually, I always use a 6" backing Plate with the 6.5" and 7.5" pads....as long as the proper Counter Weight is installed in the PC this seems to work a lot better than the 5" backing plates with the 6.5" pads....IMO.

Black Bart
09-28-2006, 06:10 PM
I use the 6 inch plate with the 6.5 pad and have not had any heat problems.
Maybe since you are working on large panels you are trying to hurry the job and applying more pressure than normal. While it is not your problem Kelso brings up a good point that small extension cords will cause the PC to run hot due to lack of proper voltage.

Meghan
09-29-2006, 10:56 AM
Get a heavy duty chord, and then you can use the 6" backing plate just fine. It will not give the pc any trouble, it is made for 5" or the 6" backing plate.

BlackRocks
10-06-2006, 03:49 PM
Get a heavy duty chord, and then you can use the 6" backing plate just fine. It will not give the pc any trouble, it is made for 5" or the 6" backing plate.

I have the HD version that AG sells. Unless they have come out with a even more HD version in the last 4 months(I got mine through you in May or early June). Also, my extension cord I use is 10 gauge, for those curious. I can gurantee you that it is more than capable of providing the current to the PC in just about the same fashion as plugging it directly to the wall(10 gauge wire for 25' is an extremely small resistance).

Todd

Paulie Walnuts
10-06-2006, 04:11 PM
I have found a smaller backing plate allows the PC to rotate with more power (so scientific I know lol) and it allows me to get more surface defects out quicker. I did not care for the 6 inch backing plate, I know its only 1 inch but it made a difference to me.