PDA

View Full Version : HACK DETAILERS- you gotta love them!!

Joe@Superior Shine
09-21-2009, 11:06 PM
dealer installed swirl option

vtec92civic
09-22-2009, 01:47 AM
man that's horrible. That wouldn't be the first time i seen that happen though. Sad that any car gets delivered in that kind of condition.

HHIslander
09-22-2009, 06:43 AM
man that's horrible. That wouldn't be the first time i seen that happen though. Sad that any car gets delivered in that kind of condition.

Who would pay close to 100k for a car and would except it like that?:buffing:

Mike Phillips
09-22-2009, 08:08 AM
Hi Joe,

That's pretty funny and also sad but true...

It's so sad dealerships let typically young kids hack-up such expensive cars like you shared with your video.

It's also sad that the owners don't understand the depth of the problem, no pun intended. In a nutshell for those that don't know, (I know you know this stuff Joe),

The factory clear layer of paint is thin
When a hack detailer swirls out a car he's removing precious paint and leaving swirls, which are scratches, in the paint.
In order to remove the swirls a Pro like Joe must remove even more paint to level the surface
The factory clear layer of paint is thin, wait... didn't I already add this to the list?

And that's the nutshell version of the problem. Factory clear coat paints are thin. When a dealership allows some hack detailer to add on DISO, that is the Dealer Installed Swirl Option, they have removed some of the perfectly good clear paint and left swirl scratches in the paint. In order to remove them someone that knows what they are doing must carefully remove a little more paint to level or flatten out the surface. That's how you remove swirls or ANY kind of below surface defects. Now the paint is even thinner than when it was knew and none of this had to be done if the dealer was educated enough to not let it happen in the first place.

The worst part is this is the norm for dealerships and the customer is the biggest loser because they're paying top dollar for a car with now thinner paint than it should have and this paint is supposed to last over the service life of the car.

DISO, the norm for dealerships. This is why people that read forums like this when they buy a new car they tell the Dealership to NOT TOUCH their new car, don't wash it, don't wax it and definitely don't let your in-house detailer buff it.

Thanks for sharing Joe! How's all that sunny warm DRY SoCal weather?

:)

WindyCity
09-22-2009, 09:53 AM
I liked the gift basket comment!!! Send some wool pads, compound!!! LOL I laughed my a$$ off! I love the fact that dealerships have the $7 an hour kid do the detailing of 100k cars......guarenteed work for us!

Joe@Superior Shine
09-22-2009, 10:09 AM
Polished correctly!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4z8d08J79_I&feature=channel

Matt
09-23-2009, 07:28 AM
HAHA I too loved the gift basket comment!

Maybe at Christmas you can include a rotary too! :props:

RaskyR1
09-23-2009, 10:41 AM
LMAO! Thanks for sharing Joe! :dblthumb2:

SRHTX
09-23-2009, 12:23 PM
Looks like the work done at the Ford, Lincoln Mercury dealership my father is a manager at. Expecially ALL of the used cars.

Joe@Superior Shine
01-31-2011, 01:57 AM
HAHA I too loved the gift basket comment!

Maybe at Christmas you can include a rotary too! :props:
How about a grinder with 5000 RPM??? I bet he'll love it!

jimmyjam
01-31-2011, 03:01 AM
Hey Joe,
I seen first hand a youngster with a high speed rotary going for brokes on a 751Li... I recently got an account at a local BMW dealership, and I "schooled" the owner of the dealership about the swirls affect. He was shocked with the appearance of a polish I did using Menzerna/3401 Flex..All I can say is SOLD put the Makita away!

GaDetailDoc
01-31-2011, 07:33 AM
Dealers are in the business of selling and simply moving cars. They spend little or no time on PDI, for which they have been already compensated to do. All you will get is a wash and a ball cap or a key ring after you sign on the dotted line. Heck I was at the BMW dealer picking up my car and they had a crew of three fleet washing with brooms followed by a rinse. I never saw any surfactant (i.e. soap). It was terrible. Talk about introducing even more swirls, water spots and countless other problems. Dealers follow the Wal-mart model- low pay and expected high peformance.

BobbyG
01-31-2011, 07:42 AM
It's called job security......:laughing:

It's always amazing what and how much sealerships for services performed. :laughing:

Fortunately, there are those real professional that can correct their mistakes and bring the finish back to its rightful shine...:props: