PDA

View Full Version : Help! My Backing Plate Just Flew Apart!

Pages : [1] 2

Tempered
09-23-2006, 11:54 AM
I just got my PC last weekend and as I was using it today the backing plate tore apart and sent my pad flying across the garage!

Now I was running the PC on 5.5 and using a bit of pressure but I would not think this would hurt it. It was kind of warm so I guess the heat just got to it. Has anyone else had this problem with theirs? Does AG have a more durable one?

What sucks it that I am halfway done with the car and going on vacation for a week Monday so I don't see any way to get the car done unless I can find one local. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks!

Meghan
09-23-2006, 11:58 AM
I just got my PC last weekend and as I was using it today the backing plate tore apart and sent my pad flying across the garage!

Now I was running the PC on 5.5 and using a bit of pressure but I would not think this would hurt it. It was kind of warm so I guess the heat just got to it. Has anyone else had this problem with theirs? Does AG have a more durable one?

What sucks it that I am halfway done with the car and going on vacation for a week Monday so I don't see any way to get the car done unless I can find one local. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks!
Give Jason a call on Monday and he will take care of you.

Kelso
09-23-2006, 05:22 PM
tore apart...huh....ive never heard of that happening, but jason is the man. i suggest watching the PC videos on here with xmt product. it really helped me learn how to use the pc a little better.

FloridaNative
09-23-2006, 05:53 PM
Do you have any pics of it?? The yellow backing plate split apart?? I didn't think it could do that! It sounds like it was faulty. Sorry to hear that happened to you! Jason will definitely hook you up though.

Kelso
09-23-2006, 06:20 PM
seriously, that thing seems pretty solid? i think im gonna splurge on the edge kid tonight plus some other stuff...

FloridaNative
09-23-2006, 06:22 PM
seriously, that thing seems pretty solid? i think im gonna splurge on the edge kid tonight plus some other stuff...

You're gonna love it!! I LOVE my Edge pads. :)

Tempered
09-23-2006, 07:23 PM
Do you have any pics of it?? The yellow backing plate split apart?? I didn't think it could do that! It sounds like it was faulty. Sorry to hear that happened to you! Jason will definitely hook you up though.
Well, I spent 2 hours trying to find one in town with no luck so I got desperate and used some epoxy to glue it back on. If that doesn't work I will try to use the crappy white pad that comes with the PC. Although I dont have a pic I did a search and found someone had a similar problem (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1353). Although his was just starting to seperate mine had come completly apart. Basically the foam came loose from the plastic.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=395&d=1153668398

It was very hot when it came apart. I had been running pretty much non stop for a few hours (Corvette clearcoat sux btw). I picked up a shorter and heavier gauge ext cord in hopes that it will help keep the heat down.

Since I am leaving early Monday I will have to wait until I get back from my vacation to call. I will try to use my repaired backing plate tomorrow to finish up. Wish me luck!

justin_murphy
09-23-2006, 07:34 PM
Traditional back plates don't like speeds above #5 on the PC. Heat builds up and kills the foam and glue. This happened with my Megs set up. I don't know if your plate is the same as mine, so don't hold me to this.
This is why I switched to the EDGE2000 system. No plate and I run on #6 all the time for cutting

Grimm
09-24-2006, 02:50 PM
I just had the same thing happen. I got my pads and plate Friday, used it for about two hours yesterday, and after using it a half hour this afternoon I happened to notice that the backing plate looked funny on one side. Sure enough, it's half ripped apart right in the middle of the edge.

ScottB
09-24-2006, 03:21 PM
I seem to remember seeing a small batch of complaints a couple months back. Probably a vendor issue, and you got a bad one. Allow Jason the opportunity to make it right ...

Tempered
09-24-2006, 07:45 PM
Well, a little J-B Weld bailed me out. I managed to finish the car with it epoxied back together no problem. I didn't go any higher than speed 5 but once I was done I cranked it up to 6 and it seemed to be doing okay. The car looks good but man the clear coat on a vette is tough. I still have plenty of scratches that I will try again later. I am pretty sure that 2 will require a rotary. Of course the weather forecast for tomorrow is rainy. :(

I appreciate the responses and I will give Jason a call when I get back but tomorrow starts vacation. I can hardly wait. Tail of the Dragon, here I come!:righton:

Tempered
10-02-2006, 07:15 PM
Just an update. Had a great trip and got back on Sunday. Called Jason this morning and he had a new backing plate order in the system in about 2 minutes.

Great service! I just wish more businesses had this kind of customer service.

bonsaiguitar
10-16-2006, 05:25 PM
You guys are scaring me. Just bought one of these last night.

Grimm
10-16-2006, 07:05 PM
Don't worry. If you have a problem with one, Autogeek will fix you up quick. I haven't had a problem with my second one.

bonsaiguitar
10-17-2006, 12:34 PM
Cool. Thanks