PDA

View Full Version : What should I use to detail a SeaDoo PWC?

CTS-Veo
09-21-2009, 11:45 AM
My dad purchased a 2009 SeaDoo GTX limited iS about a month ago, and he purchased a 24" pontoon boat at the beginning of spring. While they're stored for the winter, he wants me to do a little detail work on both of them. I want to focus more on the SeaDoo because it has a lot of painted surfaces, where as the boat has hardly any. Should I be using the dedicated marine products, or will normal car detailing products work? I guess my main questions are about polishing: can I use normal auto detailing polishes and compounds? and LSP: Can I top a coat of sealant with a carnuba? Or should I use just a sealant or carnuba? Will my WGDPS and Fusion work for the water?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated! This is our first year owning any water sport toys, so I don't know how to maintain them...

Here's a picture of the SeaDoo:
http://i308.photobucket.com/albums/kk350/CTS-Veo/wallpaper_2studio_side.jpg
http://i308.photobucket.com/albums/kk350/CTS-Veo/wallpaper_1studio_angle.jpg

Junebug1998
09-21-2009, 12:46 PM
I treat my seadoo GTI to a fresh polish with PB ssr1, then a coat of WGDPS or Collanite 845 before I put them away for winter. Then in the spring a fresh wash and another coat of sealant or 845 before I hit the water, either lasts all summer with regular wash after use. If I spend the weekend at the lake I hit it with some PB spray and wipe after it comes out of the water for the day. Also ensure you hit the seat and rubber bumpers regularly with 303 protectant.

You can also use the duragloss products and Megs makes a really good marine line that I like as well. The Duragloss 501 Marine Polish works really well, and you can top it with Duragloss #105 as well. That combo holds up nicely. Remeber that they are gelcoats and gelcoat is harder than an automotive clear coat and seem to hold up much better over time. But you still have to take care of it.

Meghan
09-21-2009, 12:53 PM
Very nice Sea Doo! On mine I have used Collinite, Wolfgang, Klasse AIO and a lot of 303!

Emile
09-21-2009, 01:02 PM
You guys are lucky. My 2004 RXP is just sitting 11 months out of the year in Florida. The black paint is very faded and oxidized but whenever I'm down there I just wanna ride it and I have no tolerance for the FL heat.

Anyways, I would wash it with P21S TAW and various brushes and stuff. Polish with a Poorboy's SSR because they work on a variety of surfaces. Not sure how you could take a buffer/polisher to it because of all the smaller surfaces and angles.

But for protection, you can use Collinite 845 or something else that is super durable. Durability is the key, especially when riding in salt water. Don't waste your beauty products on the wave-runner...they won't last and they won't do much for looks.

CTS-Veo
09-21-2009, 01:27 PM
Thank you all for the tips! Any other suggestions?

Meghan
09-21-2009, 01:50 PM
I can tell you as a PWC owner for over 15 years, there are a few things that must be done especially if in salt water. I make sure I wash mine done VERY well after each use.
And unfortunately you need to clean down the inside compartment well too. I start with the inside then I foamed down the Seadoo really well and let if sit for a minute while I spray gel wheel cleaner on the trailer wheels. Then I scrub down the Seadoo and then spray with a QD. Then I treat all the vinyl and rubber parts with 303. At this time the inside should be dry and I go in there and spray down all the metal parts with grease, as I see these rust fast! A wipe down on the inside rubber parts with 303 then put her in the garage. You can't keep these outside even with a cover on them.

Here is mine, its an 2001 and is holding up looks wise very well! If I could just get it to start now!
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/15353-2001-wave-runner-fuzion-style.html

CTS-Veo
09-21-2009, 02:03 PM
I can tell you as a PWC owner for over 15 years, there are a few things that must be done especially if in salt water. I make sure I wash mine done VERY well after each use.
And unfortunately you need to clean down the inside compartment well too. I start with the inside then I foamed down the Seadoo really well and let if sit for a minute while I spray gel wheel cleaner on the trailer wheels. Then I scrub down the Seadoo and then spray with a QD. Then I treat all the vinyl and rubber parts with 303. At this time the inside should be dry and I go in there and spray down all the metal parts with grease, as I see these rust fast! A wipe down on the inside rubber parts with 303 then put her in the garage. You can't keep these outside even with a cover on them.

Here is mine, its an 2001 and is holding up looks wise very well! If I could just get it to start now!
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/15353-2001-wave-runner-fuzion-style.html
Looking great! What do you do with the parts of the bottom that sit on the carpet covered blocks? Is there an easy way to lift the machine so you can get the whole bottom?