PDA

View Full Version : lambs wool pads and bonnets--what are they good for?

stevehecht
09-20-2009, 09:01 PM
I'm about to place an order with AG and I'm wondering what people use these products for. I've seen them mentioned in perusing the forum but I can't recall what they're good for.

loudog2
09-20-2009, 09:21 PM
Sealant and wax removal

stevehecht
09-20-2009, 09:27 PM
Sealant and wax removal

Can't I use a soft foam pad to do the same?

loudog2
09-20-2009, 09:29 PM
Can't I use a soft foam pad to do the same?
If you mean a bonnet over the pad, then yes. I've used a bonnet over a soft foam pad(LC red or blue)

stevehecht
09-20-2009, 10:01 PM
Great, thanks for your help loudog. I like to save a few bucks where I can.

Jimmie
09-20-2009, 11:16 PM
There is one application where they are crazy good. Use a bonnet to remove Rain X once applied to your glass. Makes a pain in the neck job quick and easy.
They always fill up with wax too quickly for me so I still remove waxes by hand.

DLB
09-21-2009, 09:23 AM
There is one application where they are crazy good. Use a bonnet to remove Rain X once applied to your glass. Makes a pain in the neck job quick and easy.
They always fill up with wax too quickly for me so I still remove waxes by hand.
I once saw a thread where Mike Phillips mentioned something about this.
He said to stop every once in a while and scratch across the pad with your fingernails (while spinning) and it would reduce the build up. IT SURELY DOES!
I used to use 2-4 bonnets removing wax from vehicles...I just did an Envoy SUV with one Friday.

FWIW, I use a lambswool for leveler under my bonnets. AG sent them to me with an order one time on some bonnets, and I got one in my PC Kit as well. Work great.

DLB

CTS-Veo
09-21-2009, 09:33 AM
This may be a stupid question, but I think it goes along with the OP and this is the place to ask it.

If you look at any of the stock pictures of the PCXP (the pictures in the add), the PC has a thick white pad on it. This pad was included with the XP, and it is fastened to a backing plate (it's not removable via velcro or anything like that); so you screw it on, and when you're ready to remove it you unscrew it.

My question is: What is this white pad for? Is it a backing pad for using with a bonnet? Or does it have a cut to it?

DLB
09-21-2009, 09:48 AM
This may be a stupid question, but I think it goes along with the OP and this is the place to ask it.

If you look at any of the stock pictures of the PCXP (the pictures in the add), the PC has a thick white pad on it. This pad was included with the XP, and it is fastened to a backing plate (it's not removable via velcro or anything like that); so you screw it on, and when you're ready to remove it you unscrew it.

My question is: What is this white pad for? Is it a backing pad for using with a bonnet? Or does it have a cut to it?
From Porter Cable:
"Includes 6" polishing pad"

I assume that it is good for just that, polishing.
I used it once to polish some chrome bumpers just to see what it was like. It did fine on that. Didn't scratch but removed a few light spots (using some chrome polish I had).

DLB

Emile
09-21-2009, 11:40 AM
The included white polishing pad is from Porter Cable and simply comes with the tool. Because the PC is so popular for polishing vehicle paint, Autogeek usually includes a Lake Country Backing Plate that is softer and conforms better to the curves of a vehicle, and uses the hook-and-look method for swapping foam pads in and out, which is much easier and more convenient.

To Porter Cable, the LC Backing Plate is an aftermarket third-party backing plate.

I like to use the microfiber bonnets around a lambswool leveling pad. You can use a regular foam pad but because the lambswool pad is softer, it can theoretically make for a smoother and easier experience when buffing off waxes and polishes.

Jimmie
09-21-2009, 11:59 AM
Whoa........use extreme caution. I would personally toss that white pad that come with the PC. There used to be horror stories of the foam separating from the backing and damaging paint. I caught mine right before it let go.
I'd get a good backing plate and pads from AG to put a bonnet on.

stevehecht
09-21-2009, 05:49 PM
FWIW, I use a lambswool for leveler under my bonnets. AG sent them to me with an order one time on some bonnets, and I got one in my PC Kit as well. Work great.

What do you mean by a leveler? Does the lambs wool pad go directly underneath the bonnet, or between a foam pad and the BP?

DLB
09-22-2009, 07:22 AM
What do you mean by a leveler? Does the lambs wool pad go directly underneath the bonnet, or between a foam pad and the BP?

Backing Plate
Lambs Wool
Bonnet

By leveler I just mean it gives you a nice uniform surface under your bonnet. I have never used a foam pad under my bonnet to take wax off. The lambs wool is much softer and you can really use light pressure with it.

DLB