PDA

View Full Version : Four Star vs. Ultima any suggestions

daveo
09-20-2009, 11:22 AM
With the ever growing amount of detailing supplies for sale here and in my collection, I was trying to decide between Four Star and Ultima sealants. I feel like I have seen more write-ups on Four Star. Thanks!

CEE DOG
09-20-2009, 11:34 AM
Daveo, I noticed there is not a ton of writeups on Ultima and I'm not positive why but I can tell you after hours and hours of research it is the product I chose. I am in love! I don't have experience with other products but I am convinced this will last longer then anything else you will find. Looks amazing! Great with preventing water spots. I do have to say I have only had it on about 3 months but so far there has been no degradation. Remember to use the Ultima Paint prep plus first (to make it bond even better). On the UPGP use a VERY small amount like they say with that big applicator. That is the only weird part. It seems like you aren't even putting anything on there but just have faith. The 2nd and 3rd coat will leave no doubt. Remember to wait long time between coats like they say! (12 hour min.) I waited close to 20 just because of work etc. Applying each coat takes only a matter of minutes. I didn't have any problems. Not a single streak! Enjoy, look forward to seeing your review:dblthumb2:

redg35
09-20-2009, 12:58 PM
With UPGP you dont want to do a second coat until 12 hours later.

ScottB
09-20-2009, 01:00 PM
Four Star UPP is my favorite sealants, its crisp, reflective, and quite slick initially. Its a relatively easy product to use and quite forgiving for those overapplying it. You will need to buff it off but quite easy too.

Ultima is more expensive and likely why its not reviewed as often. If is a WOWA sealant and you should not need to buff it. Looks nice and durability is more than decent. I do find it streaks on blacks and if not removed rather quickly is a bear to remove them. This product really competes more with Optimum Optiseal and Zaino ClearSeal IMO.

CEE DOG
09-20-2009, 02:21 PM
killrwheels, I know you love that 4 star and it wouldn't be long before you would be replying on this thread! Thanks to some of your advice in the past which proved to be great I will probably give that 4 stars a try at some point. Any experience with it on red? That is after I finish my Ultima... Of course by the time I finish that Ultima we will probably be polishing our personal interplanetary vehicles instead of our cars. 12 oz. looks to last me a looooong time! Of course I am planning to learn to use a machine later this year with my 2 old cars as guinea pigs. I'll have to protect with UPGP when I'm done.

Rsurfer
09-20-2009, 02:43 PM
Daveo, I noticed there is not a ton of writeups on Ultima and I'm not positive why but I can tell you after hours and hours of research it is the product I chose. I am in love! I don't have experience with other products but I am convinced this will last longer then anything else you will find. Looks amazing! Great with preventing water spots. I do have to say I have only had it on about 3 months but so far there has been no degradation. Remember to use the Ultima Paint prep plus first to make it bond even better. On the UPGP use a VERY small amount like they say with that big applicator. That is the only weird part. It seems like you aren't even putting anything on there but just have faith. You can come back and do the 2nd and 3rd coat in a matter of minutes which will leave no doubt. Just don't apply it thick. I didn't have any problems. Not a single streak! Remember to wait long time between coats like they say! Enjoy, look forward to seeing your review:dblthumb2:
In one sentence you say you can apply the 2nd and 3rd coats in a matter of minutes and the next sentence you say to wait a long time between coats. UPGP should cure for 12 hrs. before re-applying.

CEE DOG
09-20-2009, 03:12 PM
In one sentence you say you can apply the 2nd and 3rd coats in a matter of minutes and the next sentence you say to wait a long time between coats. UPGP should cure for 12 hrs. before re-applying.
OOps! Thank you, I didn't realize how that sounded. I meant that each coat only takes minutes to apply. I have edited my original response to make it clear.

ScottB
09-20-2009, 04:55 PM
To date I have not seen a color that didnt look impressive after Four Star. Its quite versatile. Looks like Zaino Z5Pro but slicker with no mixing of curing agents and no multiple coats of their spray sealant. That sealant however is great over UPP too.

Fred114
09-20-2009, 05:29 PM
I don't have any experience with Ultima and have only used Four Star once, about a week ago. Gotta say I loved my experience with Four Star. I applied it to the whole car, ate my lunch, then came back and wiped it off. Came off very easy and left a very slick feel and wettish reflective appearance. 2 thumbs up from me. :xyxthumbs::xyxthumbs:

This was pic after first coat, was inspecting it.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2567/3939120972_fcfe7fe493_o.jpg

daveo
09-20-2009, 07:43 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone. It seems like they are both great choices. I have used some DG products, i.e. the 501,601, 105 combo and even toyed around today with a 501, 601, DP surface shield sealant (the lime green one which I hope comes back). I might just flip a quarter to decide. From what I have read they are both super slick. Just getting ready for the winter months!

bukxanger
09-21-2009, 08:45 AM
4Star is GREAT!

HighEndDetail
09-21-2009, 09:43 AM
I have used both of these products. Like Scott said 4star looks great on black. And most of the time I choose 4star for black. Since how it looks and the initial slickness it has.

The Ultima is so easy to use, with just wiping on and nothing else. You do have to watch for streaking on the paint, if applied to heavy.

Right now Ultima is the choice on my vehicle, for the ease of its application.