PDA

View Full Version : Collonite 845, 915, 476 Experience/Recommendations?

Pages : [1] 2

tenorplayer23
09-19-2009, 03:06 PM
Have done a search here for information about Collonite products and thought I'd post a query about recent experience with 845/915 or even 476. It appears that these products are universally admired.

Since I live in the heart of "snowland", I thought I'd look into adding a durable, all-weather product to my arsenal of Optimum products (namely Poli-Seal, Opti-Seal and OCW).

Looks like Collonite products (made just down the road in Utica, NY) just might fill the bill.

Would appreciate comments/recommendations re: the three products I've seen mentioned most often and any speed tips for using them.

From what I can surmise, 845 is the easiest to apply and per some, gives the deepest gloss. 476 is the more difficult to apply, but is longer lasting(?). And, 915 is touted to be their best looking product.

In any case, I'd welcome your feedback. if you've used them in addition to Optimum Opti-Seal, etc. all the better.

Thanks in advance.

See ya http://autopia.org/forum/images/smilies/wavey.gif

agpatel
09-19-2009, 04:30 PM
I still have not made up my mind on which to get 845 or 476. 476 from what I read is a little harder to use but gives a longer durability and 845 is easier to use and looks better but has little lower durability, all being relative here as it still outlast many sealants. So what I am thinking is why not do 476 then 845 on top as the product is already pretty cheap. Still like to hear from users of both and how they would look on a darker colors like red.

mackdaddyhibble
09-19-2009, 06:23 PM
Ya know bout a year ago I was faced with a similar dilemma,so I bought them both,still haven't figured it out I jus put the 845 on top of the 476 and keep moving.If u get two coats of each I don't think u can go wrong.

tenorplayer23
09-19-2009, 06:23 PM
I need it for bright red and black cars.

I still have not made up my mind on which to get 845 or 476. 476 from what I read is a little harder to use but gives a longer durability and 845 is easier to use and looks better but has little lower durability, all being relative here as it still outlast many sealants. So what I am thinking is why not do 476 then 845 on top as the product is already pretty cheap. Still like to hear from users of both and how they would look on a darker colors like red.

mackdaddyhibble
09-19-2009, 06:29 PM
I have a black car and it looks great on it,cant speak for the red.

Steven C
09-19-2009, 09:22 PM
I use 476 all the time shines up well it's a WOWO wax. I put on with3401 with blue pad do a panel &wipe off keep , moving around the car& do 2 coats. I also use 915 use the same process Looks just as good the both last quite a while . I have Fuzion& wgps just don't want to waste the on customers cars the would notice the difference & just don'r care enough. :xyxthumbs:

CharlesW
09-19-2009, 09:59 PM
#845 Insulator wax is very easy to use, looks great, lasts longer than I need it to, but 4 to 6 weeks is about as long as I go between applications of something.

#476 was a PIA to remove for me. I used it twice and gave it away. Looked good and the application difficulty may have been me. I don't remember it being a WOWO product according tp the instructions, but I really don't remember. Wipe on, let haze and wipe off sure didn't work for me though.

No experience with the #915.

tenorplayer23
09-19-2009, 10:15 PM
Thanks for the info. Just curious.....you said you don't go more than 4-6 wks. w/o applying something to your vehicle, so you wouldn't have good longevity info.......but, how about the appearance of Collonite 845 compared to XXXX ??

Do you use it as the sole sealant/wax product during you application? Apply it over a sealant or perhaps, use multiple layers on itself? (Also, what color vehicle?)

I suspect the weather in Iowa can be as rough as W. New York.......maybe just not the salt! :) I'd think Collonite would have a good durbility formulation for this area, a the info. on the AG website says......they're only ~ 100mi. east of here.

Let me know. Thx.

#845 Insulator wax is very easy to use, looks great, lasts longer than I need it to, but 4 to 6 weeks is about as long as I go between applications of something.

#476 was a PIA to remove for me. I used it twice and gave it away. Looked good and the application difficulty may have been me. I don't remember it being a WOWO product according tp the instructions, but I really don't remember. Wipe on, let haze and wipe off sure didn't work for me though.

No experience with the #915.

ryandamartini
09-19-2009, 10:19 PM
The 845 would be tops for durability. 915 is a good mix between looks and durability. Both will last for a long time. But if sole protection is what you want, 845 would be the way to go.

CharlesW
09-19-2009, 10:31 PM
Thanks for the info. Just curious.....you said you don't go more than 4-6 wks. w/o applying something to your vehicle, so you wouldn't have good longevity info.......but, how about the appearance of Collonite 845 compared to XXXX ??

Do you use it as the sole sealant/wax product during you application? Apply it over a sealant or perhaps, use multiple layers on itself? (Also, what color vehicle?)

I suspect the weather in Iowa can be as rough as W. New York.......maybe just not the salt! :) I'd think Collonite would have a good durbility formulation for this area, a the info. on the AG website says......they're only ~ 100mi. east of here.

Let me know. Thx.

See ya http://autopia.org/forum/images/smilies/wavey.gifWe get quite a bit of snow and ice with the accompanying salt applications by the DOT.
It was my LSP and I did apply two coats of the #845 to assure complete coverage.
I don't happen to be one that goes in for topping a sealant or for that matter any LSP. If I don't like the look of a product, I switch to something I do like.
It was used on GM White and GM Sapphire Blue which is very dark and appears black in the right light.
I was happy with the appearance, but I don't know that it was much different than many good waxes or sealants. I do think you would be happy with it.

JCruiza120
09-19-2009, 10:54 PM
I use 845 for boat details, it's fantastic for the purpose of cleaning, shining, and protecting... never used it on a car's paint though.

CharlesW
09-19-2009, 11:06 PM
I use 845 for boat details, it's fantastic for the purpose of cleaning, shining, and protecting... never used it on a car's paint though.I'm pretty sure that #845 is not a cleaner wax.
It will shine and protect, but not clean.

JCruiza120
09-19-2009, 11:12 PM
I'm pretty sure that #845 is not a cleaner wax.
It will shine and protect, but not clean.

I'm talking fiberglass - buffing wax onto fiberglass cleans deeper than just washing with a water/wash solution mix... I didn't mean cleaner like the "Meg's Cleaner wax" type, just as a means of removing dirtiness by buffing the 845 on.

tenorplayer23
09-19-2009, 11:13 PM
Thanks for the info. & answering the questions. Looks like Collonite 845 is a good choice.

Good luck in the Iowa muck.............I am NOT looking forward to winter here in Western New York. We just barely go to summer and it was September already!

We get quite a bit of snow and ice with the accompanying salt applications by the DOT.
It was my LSP and I did apply two coats of the #845 to assure complete coverage.
I don't happen to be one that goes in for topping a sealant or for that matter any LSP. If I don't like the look of a product, I switch to something I do like.
It was used on GM White and GM Sapphire Blue which is very dark and appears black in the right light.
I was happy with the appearance, but I don't know that it was much different than many good waxes or sealants. I do think you would be happy with it.

agpatel
09-19-2009, 11:15 PM
So I ended up getting 845 and my idea is 1000P base with 845 topper. :) NC winters are not nearly as bad as you guys have it up north so those two would be overkill but oh well.