PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations Needed

JPW77
09-18-2009, 11:45 AM
Background from my introduction:

Hello. I’m new here and know absolutely nothing about detailing a vehicle with power tools but I want to learn. I have a Makita 9227C polisher that I received for Christmas and I’ve only been brave enough to use it once about 2 weeks ago to apply wax to a 1996 Honda Civic that was in terrible shape. It helped tremendously so now I want to tackle the good vehicles. I have a 2003 Chevy Silverado Extended cab truck that is black and has several scratches from being used as a truck. I would like to know what pads and polishes I need to clean it up as good as possible and then what wax would you recommend to finish off the job. I also have a white 2005 Honda Accord that has a few stubborn stains that need to be buffed out from being parked under an oak tree. Lastly, we just bought a brand new campaign colored 2009 Chevy Traverse last week. What would everyone recommend I do to clean and protect the paint on that one? Unfortunately, we don't have a garage so all vehicles are parked out in the elements. Is there one group of products for all of my needs? I’d like to keep the total cost under $100 if at all possible.

Recommendations Needed:

During my browsing here it looks like I should get a rotary flexible backing plate for the Makita. Are smaller diameter or larger diameter pads easier to use?

I also need to purchase some pads and polish that meet my needs above. What pads are recommended for the Makita? Would the Meguiars Ultra Polish Kit with 5.5 Inch Pads (Meguiars Ultra Polish Kit with 5.5 Inch Pads, Meguiars Mirror Glaze Polishes, Meguiar's Polish Kit, 5.5 inch buffing pad kit (http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-ultra-polish-kit.html)) be my best bet here or is their a cheaper combo that would work just as well? It says it's for a dual action polisher but all I have is a rotary.

Once everything is polished to a nice shine do I seal with a wax? It appears that Collinite Liquid Insulator Wax #845 is highly recommended.

I need all the help I can get so any and all recommendations will be appreciated! :buffing:

JPW77
09-20-2009, 09:05 PM
Wow, nobody has any recommendations...

loudog2
09-20-2009, 09:15 PM
I don't use a rotary, but I would get 3-4 of each pad. Mega 105 and 205 are good products. So is menzerna SIP, power finish 203, 106FA and 85RD.

Get lots of micrfiber towel(drying, buffing and polish removal).

As for sealant and wax, your going to get a lot of different recommendations.

wytstang
09-20-2009, 09:21 PM
I've never used a rotory so I'll let other recommend what size pad and type.
As far as wax #845 is a resin based wax that has strong durability capabilities. Think 6+/- months depending on weather and washing products, ect.
Hopefully those with rotary skills will come out of hiding and talk.

Erik Mejia
09-21-2009, 01:58 AM
Honestly, I'd keep the Makita away from your vehicles, and get yourself a practice hood.

The Makita is a rotary buffer and can cause some unwanted damage if you don't know how to properly use it. If you get a few pads and a couple of polishes use the Makita to practice until you can proficiently use this type of machine. I would also advise against using a rotary buffer to apply wax to a vehicle. I'm sure Mike will chime in, but until he does, step away from the Makita.

Meanwhile, search around, and look into a Dual Action Polisher. :xyxthumbs:

HHIslander
09-21-2009, 06:25 AM
I'm sure Mike will chime in, but until he does, step away from the Makita.
:xyxthumbs:
:buffing: :laughing: LOL

He's right though, you said it yourself, you know nothing about detailing. A rotary in the hands of a novice can, and most likely will do more harm than good...

From a beginners stand point, a $200-$300 investment in a Dual Action polisher and pad set up is a very wise investment for anyone.

This is what I started with and I would recommend it any day..

Wolfgang Porter Cable 7424 Swirl-Free Kit (http://www.autogeek.net/wolfgang-porter-cable-swirl-remover.html)

Not to mention, most of the detailers on here who use a rotary, also have a DA and use them both.. so your makita is not a waste of money.