PDA

View Full Version : Using a Cleanser to Clean Tires

dickwitham
09-17-2009, 09:38 AM
Do any of you do this? I understand how strong of a cleaner this is, being that most have bleach in them (Ajax/Comet) and know that you have to be careful when cleaning around clear coated wheels, paint, etc. I have always found this to work exceptionally well on tires with white lettering. Typically I spray Wesley's Bleach White prior to using the cleanser just to loosen up.

I'm just curious if anybody else uses this technique and if anybody has discovered any major cons (besides it being so strong) when using it.

http://www.irvinehousingblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/comet.jpg

r0ckstrWS6
09-17-2009, 10:26 AM
I myself haven't haven't and wouldn't use that. for tires themselves I use ARO ( amazing roll off) and wolfgangs tire and wheel cleaner. both of those are very good at getting dressing, and brown crud off from the tires. I'm sure others will let u know what they use. just my .02

Pockets@PoorboysWorld
09-17-2009, 10:55 AM
I myself haven't haven't and wouldn't use that. for tires themselves

:whs:

I use an APC 15:1 or S+R if i want to use a chemical.....i use steel wool if i need to get really dirty white letters clean instead of using a harsh chemical i just use that and a lil elbow grease

Deep Gloss Auto Salon
09-17-2009, 10:58 AM
I use an APC

Same here... works great!

BarryK
09-17-2009, 11:21 AM
Megs APC+ here (typically at 4:1) and a good tire brush. I let the APC+ sit in the tires for a few minutes to let it do it's work than scrub the tire with the brush and rinse it off. comes out perfect and very clean all ready for your dressing of choice

Meghan
09-17-2009, 02:15 PM
Only thing about Comet is its VERY strong, and they recommend you use a lot of water with it to keep it from eating through what you are working on. So just be careful with it, if it is working for you and you like to use it... but I am not sure of the damages it can do to your wheels.

MisterShark
09-17-2009, 02:49 PM
What about P21S Total Auto Wash?

I really liked the way that it removed some spots from an interior plastic surface and was considering picking up a liter of it (I had used a small sample bottle previously).

If I can also use the P21S for a tire cleaner in preparation for a fresh application of 303 Aerospace Protectant then I'll definitely look to make the purchase.

I haven't been into this new detailing obsession long now but I sure am accumulating numerous different products seemingly for each and every little aspect, so I'm really looking to find a product that can do a lot of things in order to cut down on extra unnecessary expenses.
A good tire cleaning product is one of those things I'd like to find a good multi-tasking product for.

dionnfr
09-17-2009, 03:09 PM
P21s Total Auto Wash; does a great job.

ScottB
09-17-2009, 03:10 PM
I find Amazing Roll-Off works well or tires and rubber.

r0ckstrWS6
09-17-2009, 03:25 PM
A good tire cleaning product is one of those things I'd like to find a good multi-tasking product for.

Megs APC+

will do, wheels, tires, wheel wells, carpet/cloth interior, trim.

the gallon size goes a long way, since it can be dilluted depending on use.

Meguiars All Purpose Cleaner Plus D103 (http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-all-purpose-cleaner-plus-d103.html)