PDA

View Full Version : Auto Body "Marker"?

DLB
09-16-2009, 02:12 PM
What I am looking for is something I can use to divide up the panels on a vehicle that won't be permanent, and that I can leave on while buffing.
This is really only a problem for me on lighter colored vehicles (white!) For me, it is tough to follow where you left off on white, and you don't want to buff the same area too much.

Tape isn't the solution, because you have a line where your tape is unless you move it to the just finished section (undesirable because it leaves a residue).

So, what is there that you can use (if such a product exists) to mark up the panels that will allow you to buff right over it (and thus removing your line when you get to the second section?

Am I making sense? I suppose you could use polishing pad conditioner or something sprayed onto the surface to create a visible line, but it would run off.

The problem with the suggestion itself is that you are going to have something under your pad when you buff over it (IE: If you used a grease pencil, it would theoretically buff off as you went, but you don't want to be dragging "crayon" around on the paint surface while you buff).

Anyone? Anything? Any ideas?

DLB

acc1079
09-16-2009, 03:19 PM
Thats a tough one. I would think they PROBABLY make something just for such a purpose, but I have never seen it.

If I were gonna try anything, I would think the safest bet would be a dry erase marker, but even those are iffy sometimes.

DLB
09-17-2009, 11:18 AM
Thats a tough one. I would think they PROBABLY make something just for such a purpose, but I have never seen it.

If I were gonna try anything, I would think the safest bet would be a dry erase marker, but even those are iffy sometimes.
Hey - we live 30 minutes from each other! Hello AG neighbor. :D

I did come across some of these:
http://www.autobodytoolmart.com/images/PRODUCT/medium/10379.gif

Writes on steel, glass, aluminum, plastic, wood, rubber, pallet racking...virtually any surface!
Simple to remove with only Windex or water and a cloth.
No permanent marking or damage on any cured or non-porous surface.
Fast drying ink...a rain-resistant barrier forms after approximately 1/2 hour.
Developed specifically for the autobody & refinishing industry
Great for marking repairs and estimates
Available colors: Red, Yellow, Orange, Blue, Pink, Green or White

But I hesitate because you need to remove there will be something left behind that isn't good for the paint as you buff over it.

Something like a dry erase theoretically is ok, because it would just dust up when you went over it, but even then I am sure some of the color pigments would get on your pad and have a tendency to smear.

DLB

acc1079
09-17-2009, 12:13 PM
Hey!!
I didnt notice you only lived down south a little ways from me... HELLO BACK!!

Yeah, that is a iffy situation all the way around. The best thing that you could probably do, is just pick one of the 2 up, and just try it in an inconspicuous place, or on a spare painted surface, and see what happens. Make sure to report back if you do, of your findings!