PDA

View Full Version : wots best

kevo
09-16-2009, 06:17 AM
Hi Mike,Wich do you prefer as a compound Megs. 105 or ultimate compound.

Thanks

Kevin.

Mike Phillips
09-16-2009, 07:34 AM
If I'm using a rotary buffer then I use M105 as it's formulated for heat, (use with a rotary buffer).

If I'm working by hand or DA then it doesn't really matter because you can stop anywhere in the buffing process, you don't have to work the product until the abrasives break down as they don't breakdown like diminishing abrasives which must be worked until they are broken down or you could end up leaving swirls behind.

M105 comes in a quart and that can be kind of handy for a full buff-out.

Just to note, there's always been this confusion on the different forums that heat is necessary to make a compound work and while there may be some products like that, (I'm not aware of any), heat is actually an unwanted by-product of the process.

It would be better to keep temperatures lower when machine buffing than to work with hot paint. More risk involved too....

Question back at you...

What are you working on?
What is your goal?
How are you doing your work? By hand or machine and if by machine, what kind of machine?

:)

kevo
09-17-2009, 05:23 AM
I detail for a living and i am trying to get the best results i can, so i work on a lot of different cars,my goal after seeing results on AG.is to perform scratch free details.I use a festool rotex which will cut out scratches great, I would just like to know the best product to use.