PDA

View Full Version : Need to buy some stuff?

jmy2469
09-15-2009, 11:47 AM
My 2008 Mustang GT convertible needs to be detailed. New here,just signed up.
The car has minor swirl marks.Just asked which backing plate and pads should I buy for my 7424 over in that section, now I need to know what to buy to get my car looking great again. What do you recommend for my top? How about for my paint? Don't want to just get the swirls removed,looking for that deep,glossy finish. Thanks for the help. John

dublifecrisis
09-15-2009, 12:10 PM
what color paint and color of top? what kind of wheels? leather or cloth?

acc1079
09-15-2009, 12:15 PM
It is gonna be very hard to advise without at least some pics. The thing about polishing paint, is that every car is different. Even the same cars with same paint can react differently in certain climates.

Also, the severity of the scratches and swirls will also make a dramatic difference in which polish pad combo to use.

If you do not have a machine, I would recommend a Porter Cable kit from AG. One of their kits, that include polishes and pads, should set you up nicely with the products you will need to get your paint in tip top shape
Here is the kit I would recommend:

Wolfgang Porter Cable 7424 Swirl-Free Kit (http://www.autogeek.net/wolfgang-porter-cable-swirl-remover.html)

Use the orange pad and the swirl remover to get your swirls out. If you have some deeper swirls or RID's, multiple passes may be required.
After that, follow up with the glaze and the white pad. This will remove any light marring made from the swirl remover and orange pad, and will ready your paint for your wax/sealant.
You can then use the deep gloss paint sealant on the blue pad to protect your paint. The DGPS is one of my favorite sealants, and SOOOOO easy to use.
It also comes with a detail spray, to remove finger prints and things to that nature between washes.

It is a good kit, and should make your paint sparkle!!

I would also recommend, since this is your first time polishing the car, to pick up one of the clay kits. This will remove all the embedded contaminants from your paint, before you start the polishing. And yes, even a new car has embedded contaminants from the shipping and sitting on the dealer lots.

acc1079
09-15-2009, 01:51 PM
Scratch that, I just read your other post, and apparently you already have a PC, so in that case..... recommendations are as such:

Pads and backing plate:
Dual Action CCS 5.5 Inch Foam Pad Kit (http://www.autogeek.net/ceramic-polishing-kit.html)
I recommend the 5.5 with the PC, as you will get a bit more correcting power using the smaller pads then you would with the 6.5. This kit has a nice assortment, and should be able to take you anywhere you want to go with your paint

VERY good deal on the swirl remover and glaze combo!!
Wolfgang 16 oz. Swirl Remover Combo, Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover, Wolfgang Finishing Glaze, Wolfgang polishes (http://www.autogeek.net/wolfgang-swirl-remover-combo.html)

For LSP, there are unlimited options. You need to ask yourself what you want out of it. Looks, durability, a decent combo of both.. etc etc

You can pick from an array of sealants and carnubas.
A couple of my favorite are the Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant, and the Natty's Red for wax, although I do like many others for a certain reason or another.

Again, these are only my recommendations, as these are most of the things I first started out with, and found to be VERY user friendly. There are about 1000 different combos you could go with to get you to the point you want to be.

lljimll
09-15-2009, 02:44 PM
hi, i am new here also but for your top i use "RaggTopp Fabric Convertible Top Care Kit"
i have a 50th anniversary corvette with a shale top and this product has work great for a cleaner and protector. (you must use both products)
jimmy

ScottB
09-15-2009, 06:29 PM
Ragtopp for the top ... and the 5.5 inch pad kit with 5 inch backing plate kit with or without buffer and Menzerna polishes will have you looking great. The Menzerna ceramiclear polishes work well on Ford paint.

jmy2469
09-16-2009, 09:17 AM
Car is candy apple red with black top,and it has the 18" painted fanblade wheels

jmy2469
09-16-2009, 01:23 PM
Ok, I just ordered new backing plate, pads, Ragtopp kit,Wolfgang Swirl Remover combo,Wolfgang Deep Gloss Sealant,and Wolfgang tire and wheel kit. When I get everything,I'll post some before and after shots of the car. Thanks for all the info.

acc1079
09-16-2009, 01:24 PM
That should fix you up nicely.

Make sure you take before and after shots of the car as well!!