PDA

View Full Version : ONR wash followed by cleaner wax - dirty pads

Da Fats
09-15-2009, 11:24 AM
I recently washed a car with ONR ( did not feel it was comign clean even after 3 -4 passes over each panel) and when followed by Polyseal I had a ton of dirt on the pads. Is this something to be expected? It's my second time with Polyseal and first time following ONR with it.

So I recently started trying out ONR as a rinseless wash, I like the idea of using less water and less run off.

Now starting out I am doing a 2 bucket method with 4 gal in each and grit gaurds. I have a black tacoma and I recently polished it and figured theres no better test for this stuff. Well it seemed to work great on a mostly clean and recently LSP'd truck. I caught what my be some very very fine scratches in the door panel after getting out of it at work today so i can update on that when I have more time. but in general I felt it cleaned the paint well

So onto the issue. My GF brought over her silver acura for a wash and wax yesterday and I tried out ONR again. Now her LSP was gone (lord knows what she used for car wash soap) and there were some stains brown stains on the paint from parking it in at her house (in the woods) in the rainy weather. It was much dirtier then my truck.

As i used the ONR with a grout sponge from lowes (which i am struggling with to begin with but i think I may be using to much pressure) it felt like i was grinding stuff into the paint over the entire car. I did not ahve time to clay the car. Alot of the stains were still present and some areas had "random adhered crap" that if scrubbed harder then I felt safe doign with the ONR I may have been able to get off.

I went ahead and grabbed the PC and a green (soft) pad and Optimum Poly-seal and started buffing the stuff in at speed 6. I had a nice haze that dissappeared in most areas with the buffing and the paint cleaned up well but there is the issue of all the dirt on the pad.

On a side not the Pro line grout sponge I got from lowes seems to collpase under very low pressure (barely enough to hold it against the car and have the sponge conform to the body panel) Should I be apply so little pressure withthe sponge that I do nto remove much dirt? or should I save ONR for only well maintained cars with LSP on the paint?

Chris

dublifecrisis
09-15-2009, 12:36 PM
poli-seal has a paint cleaner in it. The pads should be dirty. You should see how nasty my white pads get. Did I read your issue correctly? The solvents in a paint cleaner are stronger than the cleaning properties of a shampoo/rinseless product. The method/materials used in the process are also more aggressive than the method of 'washing'.

I've used a few of the pro-line grout sponges but I still prefer traditional wash media (MF mitt or a couple plush MF towels).

Also, are you mixing the ONR correctly? 4 gallons of water would require double the recommended amount of ONR. I believe the bottle suggests using X capfuls for 2 gallons.

Chris Thomas
09-15-2009, 12:50 PM
sounds like you should've clayed b4 the poliseal, but yes your pad will get dirty, PS has chemical and abrasive cleaners in it.

Da Fats
09-16-2009, 01:56 AM
thanks for the replys, I know the car needed a claybar but the time was not there. I was not being payed... and my GF didn't want me getting OCD on her car that day. This was the first time I used Poly on a car that was very unmaintained so the dirty pads where a surprise. I will clay it next time around it has alot of swirls i need to buff out also that I noticed when I waxed this time around.

how many passes on avg do you make when using Poly seal? do standard "polishes" perform the same cleaning function as poly but in a multistep system?

Garry Dean
09-16-2009, 08:32 AM
sounds like you should've clayed b4 the poliseal, but yes your pad will get dirty, PS has chemical and abrasive cleaners in it.

+1, always clay before you polish!

dublifecrisis
09-16-2009, 09:14 AM
poli-seal IMO is a 1 pass product. It doesn't do much at all for swirls so additional passes are a waste of product. I usually go through 3 white pads and even on a dirt unmaintained vehicle I don't see a need to repeat. Below is a super dirty car where the customer didn't want a multi-step correction. All I did was one pass with poli-seal and topped with DG Aquawax. I also clayed prior to polishing.

I swore I had a pic showing the side view of a dirty white pad. It was literally black about half an inch from the surface.

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb70/uchessor/97%20malibu/IMG_5221.jpg
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb70/uchessor/97%20malibu/IMG_5228.jpg
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb70/uchessor/97%20malibu/IMG_5251.jpg

jprime1
09-17-2009, 07:11 PM
It came out beautiful!