PDA

View Full Version : Porter Cable 7424XP Intermadiate swirl remover question

Bimmerfan
09-14-2009, 07:00 PM
Hi, Guys. I am new in detailing and in this forum. I got 2001 black BMW with some bad swirls and acid rain spots. Few days ago I got PCxp with Intermediate swirl remover Kit. I did only a hood, that was the most bad part as you see on the pics that is how it come out after three passes of using XMT intermediate kit. some swirls stilll there. I used 6.5" LC Orange, wight and gray pads.
after reading several thread here I realized that i need smaller pads and more agressive compound. But that is where I need your half to get right ones because I really do want waist money and time on experimenting. what do you guys think how can this paint be corrected. what size pads and what kind of polish? I was thinking to get 4" Yellow catting pad and Menzerna Power Gloss and than XMT #3 and 1 with classe AIO, Wolfgang finishing glaze 3.0 and pinnacle souveran paste wax
your advise would be great:xyxthumbs:

ScottB
09-15-2009, 06:40 PM
I usually find Menzerna SIP or Megs 105 to be the only compounds needed for aggressive work. That is using the smaller pads and backing plate on PC. You could certainly move to Menzerna Powergloss but more cut indeed.

Harleyguy
09-15-2009, 08:41 PM
Xmt line isn't going to cut it for you .And as Killr mentioned your going to have to step it up some.If you go for the 105 don't forget the 205/Or the menz SIP and some 106fa /85rd.You need to follow up with an aggressive product

Mike Phillips
09-16-2009, 07:38 AM
Moved out of the "Introduce Yourself" forum and into "Auto Detailing 101" forum.

:D

Buckskincolt
09-16-2009, 09:12 AM
Looks to me like he is almost there if that's a before and after picture. Being as he is new I'll bet the lack of cut is more about technique than it is product. The XMT intermediate #3 in that kit is equal to say the WG Total swirl remover 3.0 so would we not think it should be enough?

I know at first, I was having some trouble removing swirls, then I came back here and read more, watched more video's and ask more questions. Went back made my work area much smaller, slowed my arm speed and worked the product further and found much better results. I'm a noob and it appears that is more of his problem too.

Harleyguy suggested using Menzerna SIP, well SIP is equal to XMT intermediate swirl remover #3 that he has. I get that info from this chart Autogeek Swirl Removers & Compounds Comparison Chart (http://www.auto-geek.net/charts/wax-cut-chart-master.htm)
I think it's more about slow down arm speed, make your work areas 16"x16" (I used tape to make a couple areas so I would learn my work size I should be using) and work the product until it's almost clear to let it finish it's job. I'm using Menzerna power finish PO203 and final gloss PO85U, those are very close to the same he is using.

This is just what I have learned from one new guy to another. Good Luck!:dblthumb2:

ASPHALT ROCKET
09-16-2009, 06:22 PM
Xmt line isn't going to cut it for you .And as Killr mentioned your going to have to step it up some.If you go for the 105 don't forget the 205/Or the menz SIP and some 106fa /85rd.You need to follow up with an aggressive product

Agreed, the XMT line is not as good as the Menzerna or Megs stuff. Just move up to one of those two lines and you will be set.Trying to say the XMT is somewhat the same as Menzerna or Megs is incorrect. Plus the XMT likes to fill alot and that is not what you want either.

Harleyguy
09-16-2009, 07:39 PM
Looks to me like he is almost there if that's a before and after picture. Being as he is new I'll bet the lack of cut is more about technique than it is product. The XMT intermediate #3 in that kit is equal to say the WG Total swirl remover 3.0 so would we not think it should be enough?

I know at first, I was having some trouble removing swirls, then I came back here and read more, watched more video's and ask more questions. Went back made my work area much smaller, slowed my arm speed and worked the product further and found much better results. I'm a noob and it appears that is more of his problem too.

Harleyguy suggested using Menzerna SIP, well SIP is equal to XMT intermediate swirl remover #3 that he has. I get that info from this chart Autogeek Swirl Removers & Compounds Comparison Chart (http://www.auto-geek.net/charts/wax-cut-chart-master.htm)
I think it's more about slow down arm speed, make your work areas 16"x16" (I used tape to make a couple areas so I would learn my work size I should be using) and work the product until it's almost clear to let it finish it's job. I'm using Menzerna power finish PO203 and final gloss PO85U, those are very close to the same he is using.

This is just what I have learned from one new guy to another. Good Luck!:dblthumb2:I'm wondering if you ever used the Menz line of products or just comparing it a chart .Charts are only good to compare products.In the real world a chart isn't going to help .The question was asked how to help him with the swirls i know he was using XMT products and Killr also suggested to step up to a better product.Also suggest to reduce the size of his pad down to 5.5 which work better on a Pc then larger ones.Search the thread on the Menzs line you will be surprised how many positive results you will find>Very rare i see someone suggesting the XMT line on swirls like he is trying to remove.I'm also sure it doesn't want to spend any more money thats why we suggest something.Xmt may work ok but once you use a product like Menzs you will reduce the time it takes to get the swirls out and have a finish that is far nicer then xmt.Also don't forget all products work differently even the weather causes problems.I live South fla and when i speak to my freinds up north they have problems that i don't see working a product and vise a versa.Like i sat charts are a great starting point .:props:

smokin' mark
09-16-2009, 09:17 PM
When I see something this bad...

; wash and dry.
; clay.
; wash and dry.
; SSR3 with a cutting pad work real slow.
; rubbing alcohol to check work, repeat if necessary.
; SSR1 or WGFG with a polishing pad work real slow.
; rubbing alcohol to check work, repeat if necessary.
; sealant or wax of your choice.

Buckskincolt
09-16-2009, 10:07 PM
I'm wondering if you ever used the Menz line of products or just comparing it a chart .Charts are only good to compare products.In the real world a chart isn't going to help .The question was asked how to help him with the swirls i know he was using XMT products and Killr also suggested to step up to a better product.Also suggest to reduce the size of his pad down to 5.5 which work better on a Pc then larger ones.Search the thread on the Menzs line you will be surprised how many positive results you will find>Very rare i see someone suggesting the XMT line on swirls like he is trying to remove.I'm also sure it doesn't want to spend any more money thats why we suggest something.Xmt may work ok but once you use a product like Menzs you will reduce the time it takes to get the swirls out and have a finish that is far nicer then xmt.Also don't forget all products work differently even the weather causes problems.I live South fla and when i speak to my freinds up north they have problems that i don't see working a product and vise a versa.Like i sat charts are a great starting point .:props:
Thanks Harleyguy, I'm new and learning too. I do use Menzerna (recommended by killrwheels) as stated in my post. I guess I didn't realize that a different product in the same cut zone could be so much different (I do now). It looked to me he had made some decent progress in what he had done and I thought being new he might need to work on his technique some as well. I understand your post much better now and see why you made the recommendations you did....You helped me too!

Not to hijack his thread but, do you think the new Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover 3.0 (made by Menzerna) is a step up (a little more aggressive and versatile) from the Menz power finish PO203 that I have been using? Thanks! :dblthumb2:

ASPHALT ROCKET
09-16-2009, 10:21 PM
The total swirl remover will have slightly more cut than 203. It would be equal to sip which has a little more cut than 203. 203 is inbetween sip and 106fa.

Buckskincolt
09-16-2009, 10:27 PM
The total swirl remover will have slightly more cut than 203. It would be equal to sip which has a little more cut than 203. 203 is inbetween sip and 106fa.

Thanks! AR...will it dust as bad as 203...That seems to be my biggest issue with the 203....Dust cloud:o

ASPHALT ROCKET
09-16-2009, 10:31 PM
Thanks! AR...will it dust as bad as 203...That seems to be my biggest issue with the 203....Dust cloud:o

Menzerna tends to dust a little but their product is worth the little extra effort of wiping away some dust.:props:

Bimmerfan
09-17-2009, 02:51 PM
Thank a lot for good advise. You guys are wright this was my first time usinig DA machine. but. It may be a experience but I think xMT is week to do remove this kind of blamishes. Although as you see it made a big difference bit still far from perfect. I think and some of you are wright I need a compound here (not a polish)like menz PG or mag 103 and yellow 4" pad and I will follow it with XMT #1 or klasse AIO on 5.5 white pad and glaze and sealent. I think it should work. Or it gonna be to much cut?that where I need you guy with experience as i do not want to get product that won't work here and waist time and money And as for whether I did it in shade outdoor as a do not have garage and it was about 70-75 that day.

Bimmerfan
09-17-2009, 03:08 PM
Oh, by the way I had my bimmer in detailing shop here before I decided to DIM and they could not remove all these shown in before pic. Funny haaaa:xyxthumbs: