PDA

View Full Version : How Do You Safely Remove Snow & Ice?

Pages : [1] 2

Stuttgarter
09-14-2009, 03:53 PM
I live in the foothills of the Alps and it's starting to get cold outside so I must ask 'what is the safest way or what products do you use to remove snow and ice from your car'? I can't garage my car and don't want to harm the paint. Any suggestions?

tWiStEd-tORqUe
09-14-2009, 04:17 PM
Heard alot of good things about Ice Master Ice Scraper, (http://www.autogeek.net/windshield-ice-scraper.html)

gofastman
09-14-2009, 06:32 PM
We use these at the dealership I work at.
http://cozywinters.com/shopping/graphics/00000001/sno-brum_B.jpg

SRHTX
09-14-2009, 06:38 PM
I've never seen any Snow & Ice where I live. Wish we could for a few days. lol

Harleyguy
09-14-2009, 07:10 PM
:dblthumb2:Come move to South florida problem solved:dblthumb2:

nrengle
09-14-2009, 07:53 PM
Myself for snow and ice, I do two methods. First I let the car warm up quite considerably so the engine heat helps to melt the layer of ice/snow on the hood (bonnet for our European friends), same with the air circulating inside for the roof. I then have purchased an extremely soft (think boars hair), brush to remove the snow and ice. I then polish come spring thaw. Also wash with ONR often if you can to help remove the road salts and such if they use those in the Alps (I can't remember from the last time I was there in winter).

Stuttgarter
09-15-2009, 03:31 PM
I'm sorry for the slow response to your suggestions but the time difference makes me wait untill the next day to respond. I was hoping for some magical new product to safely remove the snow and ice. You're using the same kind of stuff I have. You guys in south Texas and south Florida should appreciate the fun we are having in the freezing cold (no mosquitos, no humidity, no bug bites). Ha!

Stuttgarter
09-15-2009, 03:43 PM
The road salt here is in liquid form vice the salt rocks in the States. This is really nasty stuff because they apply it almost every morning. In the winter I ONR my car as often as possible but I've got to do it on the sly because it is against German environmental law to wash your car in your driveway. I tell my neighbors when they see me with my bucket that I'm just rinsing the bird bombs off the car.

A boars hair brush to remove snow? interesting...

MisterShark
09-15-2009, 04:22 PM
it is against German environmental law to wash your car in your driveway.

:eek:

Stuttgarter
09-15-2009, 04:33 PM
Yep, 200 euro fine! The Germans say the dirt, grime, and soap from the car wash on your driveway pollutes the earth and contaminates the ground water. I guess the thousands of drunks at Oktoberfest urinating on the ground outside the beer tents is less contaminating.

Mike Phillips
09-16-2009, 07:17 AM
I've got to do it on the sly because it is against German environmental law to wash your car in your driveway.

It's against the law to wash your car in your driveway in Irvine, California too. You can wash your car in your lawn and let the lawn act as filter and trap for the pollution, dirt and contaminants that come off your car but technically you were not allowed to wash your car in your driveway.

:)

nrengle
09-16-2009, 08:08 AM
Stugartt, that really blows, but the wonderful EU knows all. At least it's not Switzerland, correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't you not allowed to wash your car at all there?

I'm sure all the fools that are there during Rock Am Ring, and Rock Im Park and all the other German festivals are doing oh so much good for the environment.

Good luck, and if the Polizia come calling just hide the ONR LOL

TheGLL
09-16-2009, 09:32 AM
We use these at the dealership I work at.
http://cozywinters.com/shopping/graphics/00000001/sno-brum_B.jpg

Where did you bought that thing ?
I never seen that in Canada/Quebec and here we have a lot of snow each year... :(

Stuttgarter
09-16-2009, 11:12 AM
Yeah that Sno Brum thing looks pretty cool but it doesn't look sturdy enough for heavy wet snow.

TheGLL
09-16-2009, 11:33 AM
^^ Good point here.
I guess I'll remove the snow with my hands, looks like it's the safer way to do it... :(