PDA

View Full Version : Leather care for new leather?

CEE DOG
09-13-2009, 07:39 AM
My leather is in very new condition. Slight wrinkles are beginning to form. I would like to stop this.... Obviously... Please mention your experience with the product you suggest in your reply such as how many years you have seen it keep leather new etc.

1.-Is there anything that can successfully accomplish this task?

2.-What product keeps leather new the longest and how long can you expect?

3.-How is Z-10 Leather in a Bottle?

ScottB
09-13-2009, 09:21 AM
Automotive leather, especially in domestic makes, are all finished leather and as such add a polyeuthathane type or plastic type coating. Unfortunately most ingredients in standard leather cleaners cannot help. I use Einszett Leather which is designed for finished leather and can use it monthly in Florida. Annually I try to do the Leatherique process in hopes it helps some.

Zaino leather treatment isnt bad and works on finished leather. It does seem quite slippery for the first couple of days and the scent is heavy.

Bunky
09-13-2009, 09:59 AM
I was looking at 1z and it says it has "cleaners, natural oils, and waxes." There is no mention of UV protection.

I know some water based leather conditions have lanolin which is chemically similar to wax.

agpatel
09-13-2009, 10:17 AM
I love 1z Leather Care, used it for when I got my car 3 yeas ago and just recently changed over to Leather Masters just to see how it is.

wytstang
09-13-2009, 06:02 PM
I use Leather Masters on mine as well, leave a very natural look and feel to them. PB leather stuff is water based as is Four Star leather conditioner, despite it (4* description) saying it's lanolin based it's water based as per the owners word/assurance.

judyb
09-14-2009, 07:09 AM
Leather does not require 'conditioning' with anything other than water.

Keep your leather clean by protecting it with a leather protector and then regular cleaning.
Adding 'conditioners' which generally contain oils and waxes will change the appearance of your leather over time as dirt will build up on the surface and cause a sheen.

Using the correct care methods and products will not alter the factory finish.

The type of leather you have is 'coated' leather. This is essentially a 'painted' leather with a clear coat finish over the top. The leather may or may not be dyed through with aniline dyes prior to the finish coating.

Essentially it is this top coating that needs looking after. Cleaning is vitally important as the top coat will wear away if allowed to become dirty. Dirt on the surface will also become ground into the finish by constant abrassion.

'Conditioners', balms, feeds etc (traditionally oil and wax based) cannot penetrate this finish so are not worth applying - they can also leave behind residues on the finish which will only attract more dirt if allowed to remain.

A protector will make the finish easier to clean and also inhibit dye transfer etc on pale coloured leathers.

Leather however finished has to remain breathable and it will allow the movement of moisture back and forth (transpiration) so the use of water based cleaners and protectors will keep the leather correctly hydrated which is essentail to keeping it in good condition.

The routine for correct care should be
Protect from new
Maintain with a regular clean or maintenance product
Deep clean with a foam cleaner once or twice a year

Simple steps of cleaning & protecting will prolong the life of the finish on the leather

Hope this helps

spike
06-21-2010, 09:44 AM
Leather does not require 'conditioning' with anything other than water.

Keep your leather clean by protecting it with a leather protector and then regular cleaning.
Adding 'conditioners' which generally contain oils and waxes will change the appearance of your leather over time as dirt will build up on the surface and cause a sheen.

Using the correct care methods and products will not alter the factory finish.

The type of leather you have is 'coated' leather. This is essentially a 'painted' leather with a clear coat finish over the top. The leather may or may not be dyed through with aniline dyes prior to the finish coating.

Essentially it is this top coating that needs looking after. Cleaning is vitally important as the top coat will wear away if allowed to become dirty. Dirt on the surface will also become ground into the finish by constant abrassion.

'Conditioners', balms, feeds etc (traditionally oil and wax based) cannot penetrate this finish so are not worth applying - they can also leave behind residues on the finish which will only attract more dirt if allowed to remain.

A protector will make the finish easier to clean and also inhibit dye transfer etc on pale coloured leathers.

Leather however finished has to remain breathable and it will allow the movement of moisture back and forth (transpiration) so the use of water based cleaners and protectors will keep the leather correctly hydrated which is essentail to keeping it in good condition.

The routine for correct care should be
Protect from new
Maintain with a regular clean or maintenance product
Deep clean with a foam cleaner once or twice a year

Simple steps of cleaning & protecting will prolong the life of the finish on the leather

Hope this helps

Please humor me, I need help with this topic of leather care because I am so confused...

OK, this post really confuses me, and I'm trying to understand all of the stuff I've been reading about leather care, but I'm STILL confused. How is it that you are just supposed to keep the seats clean with water, and not apply a conditioner, which will clog up the pores so-to-speak? And is conditioning leather seats that are coated really a waste of time? Why then are there so many leather conditioners on the market? Don't you need to condition your leather so it will stay soft and supple, and UV protected? And what's the difference between a Conditioner and a Protectant?

spike
06-21-2010, 10:36 AM
Sorry if I hijacked this thread, but it seemed to have the same questions that I wanted to ask about...

DARK HORSE
06-21-2010, 11:02 AM
I was looking at 1z and it says it has "cleaners, natural oils, and waxes." There is no mention of UV protection.

I know some water based leather conditions have lanolin which is chemically similar to wax.

AL, I follow up 1Z with 303 AerospaceProtectant for added protection...I know, I know, (but I'm a 303 junky), and it works very well.

akimel
06-21-2010, 11:26 AM
FWIW (which ain't much!) I have read that the windows of our cars absorb a huge amount of ultraviolet radiation--hence we do not need to worry about protecting our leather seats with a UV protectant. Of course, if one has a convertible top and one spends a lot of time driving with the top down, then all bets are off.

I have been considering applying 303 to my leather seats during the top-down months. I still haven't decided. I don't know what is holding me back. Check out 303's tech note on automotive leather (http://www.303products.com/shop303/index.cfm/category/112/automotive-leather.cfm).

WRAPT C5Z06
06-21-2010, 01:51 PM
303 is GREAT, but mainly for UV protection.

Optimum protectant plus(leather protectant) has a light cleaner along with UV protection. I use it and I like it.

Harleyguy
06-21-2010, 01:57 PM
I'm not 100% sure but what Judyb suggest i would go a long with if it's the same forum member from other sites.Judyb is an expert when it comes to leather care and anything that has too do with leather.

Matt S.
06-21-2010, 02:31 PM
FWIW (which ain't much!) I have read that the windows of our cars absorb a huge amount of ultraviolet radiation--hence we do not need to worry about protecting our leather seats with a UV protectant. Of course, if one has a convertible top and one spends a lot of time driving with the top down, then all bets are off.

I have been considering applying 303 to my leather seats during the top-down months. I still haven't decided. I don't know what is holding me back. Check out 303's tech note on automotive leather (http://www.303products.com/shop303/index.cfm/category/112/automotive-leather.cfm).

I've used 303 on the leather in my S with great results. I also like Optimum Leather Protectant which is similar to 303, but thicker consistency, slightly darker finish, and much better scent IMO.

rwright
06-21-2010, 03:20 PM
I'm not 100% sure but what Judyb suggest i would go a long with if it's the same forum member from other sites.Judyb is an expert when it comes to leather care and anything that has too do with leather.

It is. Corey and I have been discussing leather care and have decided to try Ultima Interior Guard as a protectant.