PDA

View Full Version : minimizing cracks

vader2
09-11-2009, 12:06 PM
This is my first post here but I have been lurking for quite some time. I need some advice on minimizing the appearance of some cracks in the paint of my car. I have a 1980 Trans Am. I had the car repained a few years ago and overall the paint is in fantastic shape. I always get positive comments and the car is strictly show / cruise car. I have used nothing but Zaino since the repaint.

I was on my way to a large show a few weeks ago and on the way this work truck kicked up a tire fragment and it hit the front end of my car. If you are unfamiliar with 80 Firebirds and Trans Ams, they have a urethane front end that is flexible. The problem is when the tire hit my front end flexed but the paint - I believe just the clear did not. The damage is not super noticeable. Many people did not see it until I pointed it out to them and I still placed at the show I was going to despite the damage.

When I got home there were some light scratches form the impact of the tire as well as the cracks. I used my PC with ZPC to correct the scratches and then put down a coat of ZAIO to begin layering again. The issue I am having is some of the residue from the ZPC has gotten into the cracks and they are more noticeable now. I am trying Z5 now to see if that takes care of it.

What I am looking for is either a technique to get the residue out of the cracks or a recommendation of a product that would minimize the appearance of the cracks. Ideally one that I could still use with Zaino.

I know the area will need to be repained but I would like to hold off for a while and tackle some other projects first.

I appreciate any advice on this. This car is my baby. I have had it for 16 years. Thanks again.

SpyHunter
09-11-2009, 05:20 PM
This is my first post here but I have been lurking for quite some time. I need some advice on minimizing the appearance of some cracks in the paint of my car. I have a 1980 Trans Am. I had the car repained a few years ago and overall the paint is in fantastic shape. I always get positive comments and the car is strictly show / cruise car. I have used nothing but Zaino since the repaint.

I was on my way to a large show a few weeks ago and on the way this work truck kicked up a tire fragment and it hit the front end of my car. If you are unfamiliar with 80 Firebirds and Trans Ams, they have a urethane front end that is flexible. The problem is when the tire hit my front end flexed but the paint - I believe just the clear did not. The damage is not super noticeable. Many people did not see it until I pointed it out to them and I still placed at the show I was going to despite the damage.

When I got home there were some light scratches form the impact of the tire as well as the cracks. I used my PC with ZPC to correct the scratches and then put down a coat of ZAIO to begin layering again. The issue I am having is some of the residue from the ZPC has gotten into the cracks and they are more noticeable now. I am trying Z5 now to see if that takes care of it.

What I am looking for is either a technique to get the residue out of the cracks or a recommendation of a product that would minimize the appearance of the cracks. Ideally one that I could still use with Zaino.

I know the area will need to be repained but I would like to hold off for a while and tackle some other projects first.

I appreciate any advice on this. This car is my baby. I have had it for 16 years. Thanks again.

This may help to remove the appearence of the cracks, for $8.00 shipped it's definitely something worth trying. They make different colors.

http://www.supremehardware.com/catalog/474300.jpg