PDA

View Full Version : Comet Question

Pages : [1] 2 3

SpyHunter
09-10-2009, 05:05 PM
So about 6 or 7 yrs ago when I still owned my 2001 Monte SS a friend of mine made a suggestion that I clean it with Comet. I thought he was out of his damn mind. Has anyone EVER used comet on a white vehicle or have you ever heard of this?

Harleyguy
09-10-2009, 05:10 PM
That is the craziest thing i have ever heard.I can only imanage what the car would look like after using that.Comet it pretty dam harsh

SpyHunter
09-10-2009, 05:14 PM
That is the craziest thing i have ever heard.I can only imanage what the car would look like after using that.Comet it pretty dam harsh

That was my exact thoughts, unless there's some special way to prepare it and use it. But I would think it would be like using sandpaper.

Mike Phillips
09-10-2009, 05:16 PM
I've heard of it and done it a few times.

It's not for cars with clear coats as it will scratch them and make the paint all dull and hazy.

It's the down and dirty way of removing oxidation off a single stage paint for about $2.00 to $3.00 during the wash process except you put a little more muscle behind your wash pad and yes, it will chew off a lot of the old, dead, oxidized paint.

Again, it's only for single stage paints, which are pretty hard to come by and it would also only be for something you didn't really care about.

For example I helped a guy to restore the paint on this all original 1954 which was really discovered and removed from a barn around 2003 around Eugene, Oregon.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/54after.jpg

Someone cares about the above car... know what I mean?

We used M97 and M98 for chemicals. I used to have a before picture but have not been able to find it for a few years. It had an inch of dust on it and the paint was oxidized. This is not the kind of car you would wash with Comet to bring the paint back. I helped a guy buff out a 1970's Datsun HoneyBee that was yellow with oxidized paint, it was econo-box buzz box and he, nor anyone else cared that much about it. We washed it with Comet which chewed off most of the white, oxidized paint. THEN we did a stellar job of buffing it out. The Comet step was just a time-saver and a product saver because the car wasn't an all original 1954 Corvette.

Believe it or not, the above car was prepped like you see it about 2 weeks after it was discovered and then it won first place at the show you see it being set up on for display.

:)

SpyHunter
09-10-2009, 05:19 PM
Thank you for the clarification Mike. I finally have an ANSWER!

Harleyguy
09-10-2009, 05:19 PM
See when it comes to Mike Phillips he will steer you in the write direction .Who ever knew about the comet thing we learn something new everyday.And i bet Spyhunter isn't even old enough to remember single stage paint lol

ScottB
09-10-2009, 05:20 PM
Bleache White on the old whitewalls is about as close as I have come to using Comet on a car. I remember a friend with a Grand National that swore by only using Windex. Also remember many that used Pledge on showcars for the day especially before judging.

longdx
09-10-2009, 06:25 PM
@killrwheels@autogeek:

I used to use Bleache White on my father-in-law's work(all white and showing typical staining around doors/sliding door) vans many years ago to cut through oxidation. Then I would polish and then seal the vehicles. It worked well for an exbidited annual detail. I wouldn't do it now on customer's cars but it was a quick fix.

sparkie
09-10-2009, 06:31 PM
I used Bon Ami on a 73 ford truck. It work great.
http://www.bonami.com/images/home_chicken.jpg

Mike Phillips
09-10-2009, 06:43 PM
I used Bon Ami on a 73 ford truck. It work great.

And just to note, that if that 1973 Truck had the original paint it was likely oxidized single stage.

DO NOT wash a clear coated car with Comet or Bon-Ami or anything like these products.

:)

SpyHunter
09-10-2009, 06:59 PM
See when it comes to Mike Phillips he will steer you in the write direction .Who ever knew about the comet thing we learn something new everyday.And i bet Spyhunter isn't even old enough to remember single stage paint lol

I was born in 1977, so if single stage paint was still around by then, it's possible.

ASPHALT ROCKET
09-10-2009, 07:09 PM
Many years ago if a white car was badly oxidized we would wash it with comet. I am wondering when the corn starch questions are going to start.

SpyHunter
09-10-2009, 07:15 PM
Many years ago if a white car was badly oxidized we would wash it with comet. I am wondering when the corn starch questions are going to start.

Okay, so what about Corn Starch?

ASPHALT ROCKET
09-10-2009, 07:16 PM
Okay, so what about Corn Starch?

People used corn starch to remove wax that was very hard to get off and they felt it added shine to the paint when used to remove the wax.

SpyHunter
09-10-2009, 07:31 PM
Just out of curiousity, have people ever mixed "additives" such as polishing oils, or linseed oil, to pre-existing liquid waxes?