PDA

View Full Version : Chrome Plastic

ICEMAN
09-08-2009, 12:54 PM
Mike,

Have you ever messesd with Plastic that has been chromed? My moms bike has some good scuffs on one of the engine covers. i was thinking about starting with Menzerna Finish Polish since it has a VERY low cut to it to try first...

ScottB
09-08-2009, 06:02 PM
I usually try to use an AIO on plastic/chromed parts specifically and then coat with a sealant for additional protection.

ICEMAN
09-09-2009, 07:35 AM
brain fart... AIO?

Mike Phillips
09-09-2009, 07:50 AM
AIO = All-In-One

All-In-One products are simply cleaner/waxes

:)

Mike Phillips
09-09-2009, 07:58 AM
You ask a good question and this was the original purpose I wrote an article on MOL called,

What it means to remove a scratch out of anything

I tried to re-write it here,

What it means to remove swirls, scratches and water spots out of automotive clear coats (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/faq/19986-what-means-remove-swirls-scratches-water-spots-out-automotive-clear-coats.html)

Only in the above article I limited it to car paint. In the original article it talked about removing scratches out of anything.

I can't simply copy and paste what I've written on MOL over here as that's both plagiarism, (in a way although I'm plagiarizing myself), and it would also be copyright infringement, which would be wrong.

The problem I have is once I've written and article, I find it incredibly difficult to re-write using different words while still capturing all the ideas. Ugh... my problem...

Anyway, the problem with removing scratches and scuffs out of "things" is that in order to remove a scratch out of something you actually don't remove the scratch, you remove material surrounding the scratch.

Does that make sense?

Here's the problem...

Some things, and in this case the word "things" means either a material or a coating, now follow me.... some things don't lend themselves well to being abraded with the end-result looking good or original.

You can abrade chrome with some sand paper and remove small scratches but you replace the original scratches with new scratches. That's because chrome, (a coating), doesn't lend itself well to being abraded with end result looking good or looking original.

That's the problem that you run into with most chrome plastic.

:)

ICEMAN
09-09-2009, 08:08 AM
i understand you! thanks for the help!!! Whats a good AIO product?

DLB
09-09-2009, 10:07 AM
i understand you! thanks for the help!!! Whats a good AIO product?
One of the forum favorites seems to be Klasse.
Klasse ALL-IN-ONE Auto Polish, Klasse All In One, klasse aio, Acrylic polish (http://www.autogeek.net/klasseallinone.html)

DLB

OGauge4Me
09-09-2009, 10:52 AM
I have also found that on some chrome parts like badges the chrome is actually a plastic film that comes off very easily.

ScottB
09-09-2009, 07:11 PM
XMT360 and Polyseal are also nice AIO's

CEE DOG
09-09-2009, 10:14 PM
What will happen if I use Eagle One never dull wadding polish on plastic chrome? I'm not sure whhat chrome on my car is metal and what is plastic and I fear that I have been cleaning plastic badges etc with this metal polish. Only once or twice so far... Is the chrome plastic just a reflective paint on plastic? How can I tell for sure if a chrome trim piece is plastic?
Been trying to find info on what parts are what on my Saturn Sky but info is hard to come by. I will ask the dealer but even those guys don't know crap unless you get the right guy that day...

Thanks for the help

Rsurfer
09-10-2009, 12:06 AM
Will a magnet stick to chrome over metal?

Mike Phillips
09-10-2009, 07:32 AM
What will happen if I use Eagle One never dull wadding polish on plastic chrome?

When in doubt, test any product you're unsure of in an inconspicuous place.

How can I tell for sure if a chrome trim piece is plastic?

See answer below

Will a magnet stick to chrome over metal?

Good thinking!

The only magnet I could find handy here at work was a refrigerator magnet, (actually a Poorboy's magnet), I just walked out to the parking lot and first tested it on the steel, chrome bumper on Harvey, a 1964 Ford Falcoln and it stuck to the bumper with no problems.

Then I tested it on any plastic chrome on any of the new cars in the parking lot and from this very unscientific test, my results were no sticking or magnetic attraction power that I could feel for chrome covered plastic.

So while it's not the best test it might be used as an indicator.

I also tapped on all the plastic with my fingernail and it had a plastic sound while the chrome bumper on Harvey it was pretty easy to hear that it was in fact steel.

FWIW