PDA

View Full Version : New Car Detailing Tips...

jekyl05
09-08-2009, 10:37 AM
I just recently purchased a 2009 black e/b explorer that has the normal wear... light swirls, very light scratches from being washed incorrectly (not noticeable to most).

Until I purchase the p/c and appropriate products can i use the pb glaze and not follow up with a wax? Also it maybe important to mention that the hood needs to be clayed. Will that cause any issues when applying the glaze by hand? If so I will wait until I can clay, polish etc.

thanks again for the help... I have learned more in the past couple of days from this site/members/Autogeek staff than I would have in several years.:props:

unclestu
09-08-2009, 11:07 AM
If not followed up with a wax or sealant the temporary swirl hiding effect will be lost after the first wash. Using a wax after the application of the glaze will prolong the temporary swirl hiding effect of the glaze.

DARK HORSE
09-15-2009, 04:17 PM
Hi
My name is Tad. This is my first time on any forum. I just recently purchased a 2009 (45th year anniversary edition) Mustang GT Premium. I have only had it for a couple of months now. It is black. I am learning how hard black is to take care of!!!! I am a clean freak, and the black is driving me crazy. It looks awesome in normal light, but in direct sunlight I can see the micro swirls and scratches. Any advice for taking care of the black would be greatly appreciated!! I have not had the nerve yet to purchase or try any mechanical polishers. That scares the heck out of me; thinking that I could really damage the paint with one of those.

loudog2
09-15-2009, 05:05 PM
The PC is pretty much fool proof.

DARK HORSE
09-15-2009, 05:18 PM
PC = Porter Cable (dual action)?? I have no experience with polishers/buffers. Don't I need some training before tackling my pony with one?? What do I need to know to ensure that I don't damage my paint??

Thanks

loudog2
09-15-2009, 05:20 PM
Just watch the video's on autogeek.net

DARK HORSE
09-15-2009, 05:38 PM
Thanks, I will!!!

OGauge4Me
09-15-2009, 05:52 PM
jekyl05 and Tad:
I am not new to detailing and I jut bought a 09 Tacoma with black paint. All I really had to do was clay it and do a fine polish and it was ready for a sealant and then a wax as a LSP, last step process.

There are a lot of nice waxes to choose from on this site. Just read and pay attention to what the members are using for your color car. You do not have to spend a fortune on a quality wax to obtain great results.

Keep asking questions the answers will come.

DARK HORSE
09-15-2009, 06:24 PM
Does anyone have any experience with DP max wax. I am thinking of trying it in conjuction with Pinnacle cleansing lotion first. Any thoughts on this? Also I have tried the DP auto shampoo, and the DP waterless autowash. I liked them very much, but I am a novice and just learning. Is DP a quality brand and is the waterless autowash safe on my paint(no scratching)??

Steven C
09-15-2009, 09:37 PM
PC = Porter Cable (dual action)?? I have no experience with polishers/buffers. Don't I need some training before tackling my pony with one?? What do I need to know to ensure that I don't damage my paint??

Thanks
You have come to the right place for help. Stu can attest how much you can learn just reading & asking question. I far using a buffer pc/Flex / groits da's are easiest to use, you have a good security blacket with them .They alot harder damage paint unless really lean on them. They allow todo minor paint corrections .Where the a rotary buffers the learning curve is a lot higher and can do damage very quick .Practice first got to a local body and ask for junk hood or panel to practice on better to work you nevres out on something that's not attached to you car. LOL :xyxthumbs:

CakeDaddy
09-21-2009, 10:50 AM
The PC is pretty much fool proof.

Pretty much true. I have 2 tips of caution when utilizing the PC.

1. Make sure the side handle is tight (I've had a couple of close calls)

2. Make sure the backing plate is in good shape (look for cracks before starting your work)

evilwrx
09-21-2009, 11:02 AM
Does anyone have any experience with DP max wax.

DP Max Wax is great, goes easy, wipes off easy and really makes the my metallic black paint pop.

7T2Vette
09-21-2009, 12:46 PM
Go to You Tube and look up detailing, then do a search on Junkman2000 detailing videos, straight up and foward and shows the PC in action. Or just go to this link :

YouTube - How Safe is the PC 7424XP - Part 1 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XAqpOe9Zt4)