PDA

View Full Version : ONR newbie question

s4v8
09-07-2009, 08:15 PM
Hi everyone,

Ordered some ONR from Autogeek last week and decided to was my black Audi A4 with it. Followed the directions on the label and used 1 oz to 2 gallons of water. What I'm finding is that I don't have enough solution to wash the entire car. I'm using a Lowes grout sponge and grit guard. What's wrong with my technique? I try to let some water drain out of the grout sponge before washing the panel but always make sure that there's enough ONR to wash with.

Thanks.

Emile
09-07-2009, 08:57 PM
I use 3 or 4 ounces of ONR mixed with 4-5 gallons of water. It's 1oz per 2 gallons of water, so make a solution of 2oz ONR and 4 gallons of water. I like to use 3 or 4oz of ONR for 4 or 5 gallons of water for stronger cleaning and a increased drying time so I can wash several panels at a time before drying them altogether.

Also, when soaking the sponge in the ONR solution, make sure to wring the sponge out at least half-way when taking it out of the bucket...and wring the excess back into the bucket. You're using the water/ONR solution as a lubricant for the sponge to pickup the dirt....you're not trying to soak the panel in solution. The dirtier the vehicle is, the more water/ONR you're going to use per wash.

AeroCleanse
09-07-2009, 09:08 PM
I think they mean 1oz per 2 gallons of water. I personally mix up 55 gallons of ONR at a time then pump "enough" into a 5 gallon bucket.

s4v8
09-07-2009, 09:22 PM
Thanks for the replies. Is there any reason to use smaller buckets of ONR so that you have cleaner ONR?

MisterShark
09-07-2009, 09:40 PM
I used ONR for the first time last week and found that 3 gallons (I went with distilled water) with 2 ounces of ONR was enough to wash my RAV4 using a MF chenille mit & Grit Guard. I didn't wring or otherwise shed any water from the mitt. I was very happy with the water spot-free results.

kronos
09-07-2009, 11:07 PM
I used ONR for the first time last week and found that 3 gallons (I went with distilled water) with 2 ounces of ONR was enough to wash my RAV4 using a MF chenille mit & Grit Guard. I didn't wring or otherwise shed any water from the mitt. I was very happy with the water spot-free results.

I use distilled water for my ONR solution also. It's a good combination providing more resistance to water spotting. I wonder if anybody else uses distilled water with their ONR or any rinse-less solutions.

hondajake
09-08-2009, 05:45 AM
Wow! Dont have enough solution for an A4? I have a SAAB 9-7x which is larger and always have enough solution.

Like others mentioned make sure you are wrining out your sponge. I use the Cobra Bone sponge sold here. I also use a rinse bucket when using ONR.

MisterShark
09-08-2009, 07:20 AM
I use distilled water for my ONR solution also. It's a good combination providing more resistance to water spotting. I wonder if anybody else uses distilled water with their ONR or any rinse-less solutions.

@ less than a dollar a gallon, to me it's worth the extra couple of bucks for the better was that results.

bukxanger
09-08-2009, 07:28 AM
hey i have the 32oz bottle and was wondering how much is 1oz? is it 2 caps full equal to 1 oz?

MisterShark
09-08-2009, 08:10 AM
hey i have the 32oz bottle and was wondering how much is 1oz? is it 2 caps full equal to 1 oz?

Yes, I believe my ONR bottle's directions instruct to add 2 capfuls to each 2 gallons.

Lowprofile
09-08-2009, 04:28 PM
I wonder if anybody else uses distilled water with their ONR or any rinse-less solutions.

I always use distilled water. First heard about using distilled water over at the Autopia board. Plus if you detail other people's cars and they see you using distilled water it increases that 'wow' experience in their minds. 2 gallons and 1 ounce ONR and I can do most large 4D sedans and their wheels. I always use the 2 bucket method also with the Lowes Grout sponge for some spectacular results. I can't believe it took me so long to join the ONR following. Can't imagine washing the old way anymore. You may just need to wring the sponge out just a bit more. No need to soak the panels. Good luck and enjoy.:props:

PaintPolisher
09-08-2009, 10:15 PM
We have had a terrible four year drought here in Georgia and distilled water is what I used on all cars. I was legal and green. Drought broke this past spring and I can not see any reason for breaking out a hose for a car again.