PDA

View Full Version : Poly-seal saturation? first time using

Da Fats
09-07-2009, 06:25 PM
I used Poly-seal (opti's AOI) yesterday on a clients car and had issues with the soft green CCS pad soaking up excessive amounts of the LSP. I preped the pad with a little product at first... then added normal x shape amount... but almost nothign stayed on the car... Same thing happened with the 4 inch pad I tried using a pad prep spray from XMT onthat before the LSP application.

It took excessive amounts of wax to finally get the LSP to stay on the car and haze... I tired speeds 3 -5 on the PC I was hoping to get a little work out of the AIO as I layed it down... please point out my mistakes with this.

Eventually it all went down as expected ubt during clean up I squeezed an almost endless amount of crap out of the pads by hand and gave up soaking them in pad cleaning diluted in water for the night.

Any advice would be appricated please:buffing:

CharlesW
09-07-2009, 09:36 PM
While I'm not sure I can be of much help, it doesn't look like you are getting many responses. :)
Whoops! Just realized the forum this was in. I'm not Mike Phillips and I'm certainly no expert, but at least it will bump your thread back near the top.

My first time with Poli-Seal, I used much more than necessary. Since then, I have learned how to use the product a little better and no longer use an excessive amount.
Pad colors mean very little to me and I have no interest in researching what they designate, but I can tell you what works for me.

I use a polishing pad with Poli-Seal since I use it as a polish.
I spritz the polishing pad with water before starting and after each panel. Just one trigger squeeze of a cheap spray bottle. The pad will be slightly damp.
I put 5 or 6 dime size drops on the pad for the first panel and 2 or 3 after the first panel.
I use a speed of 5 or 6 to work the product.
Here's where I had to learn about the product.
I work the product until it virtually disappears. When I finish a panel, there is very little product showing and the panel is shiny rather than hazed.
It takes some experimenting, but you will find your proper amount and work time pretty quickly.

FWIW, Poli-Seal and Opti-Seal make a great combination.

tenorplayer23
09-07-2009, 10:39 PM
I also have Poli-Seal by Optimum. Your questions seem to be common ones for the product. As the second reply above said, there are some techniques.

Pad choice depends on the amount of "correction" you are trying to get from Poli-Seal. There is some debate about "how much" correction is possible with Poli-Seal, since it's effectively an AIO product. Autogeek information recommends the green CCS pad I believe you are using (the green between white & gray, correct?). It depends.

From my research on the Optimum forum site, the product apparently finishes by "disappearing into the paint". I am not sure that you are supposed to see a definitive haze, per se. There is also information there re: much Poli-Seal to use & how users have had product soaked up by softer pads. Some posts suggested using stiffer (aka, more aggressive, I guess) pads to prevent this issue.

My suggestion is to consult the Poli-Seal section (read all the posts) at the Optimum site (Optimum Polymer Technologies (http://www.optimumcarcare.com/forums.htm)). Many professionals post there, as well. They have a great deal of experience with the product.

Hope that helps.

See ya http://autopia.org/forum/images/smilies/wavey.gif