PDA

View Full Version : Sticky Leather

97zman
09-07-2009, 01:08 PM
Is the only way I know how to explain it. The cleaner and conditioner I am using to clean the leather in my '97 Chevy truck didn't come from AG but I already had it in house. It is believed to be quality stuff. It starts with a "Z" if that is a clue.

The only problem I am having is that the arm rests where the leather has been exposed to bare skin continues to be somewhat sticky. The seat areas are smooth. Would this be because of the continued exposure to dirt and body oil. Granted the cleaning is looooong over due. If so do I just continue to clean until it becomes smooth. I thought I may have oversaturated it but after an hour or so it is still sticky feeling. I have the matching conditioner product so should I go ahead and apply it.

Any help will be appreciated.

Mike

Mike Phillips
09-07-2009, 04:53 PM
The only problem I am having is that the arm rests where the leather has been exposed to bare skin continues to be somewhat sticky.

Would this be because of the continued exposure to dirt and body oil. Granted the cleaning is looooong over due.

Maybe, could be the cleaner has had an effect.

Try wiping the surface clean with soap and water, like use a wash rag dipped in some water/soap solution, use car wash or maybe even dish soap and use the water and soap to remove anything left by the cleaner.

If that doesn't fix it than probably nothing will, just treat with your protectant and wipe the excess off.

Are you sure it's leather and not vinyl or some man-made leather look-alike?

The only way I know to tell is to somehow see what the backside of the material looks like and see if it is actually a piece of leather or some kind of created fabric overlay. Kind of hard to do on an arm rest.

:)

ScottB
09-07-2009, 05:58 PM
Most leather used in automotive settings is finished and coated with a polyureathane type product. As such certain products may not actually sink into leather and stay above it on top of surface. Add a hot day and it might get sticky.

97zman
09-07-2009, 08:02 PM
Thanks for the responses guys. The armrest, or at least the top of it is leather. The underside is vinyl. I went ahead and applied the conditioner so we will see how it feels in the morning. (I didn't check responses until afterward.) If it isn't better I will try to reclean as well as the steps mentioned. It was just wierd that only the armrest felt that way. It was very dirty. Thanks again.