PDA

View Full Version : Headlamp Lens Sealant?

alexjn1
09-07-2009, 10:05 AM
Is a sealant for the plastic covering over headlamps really necessary? :dunno:

If yes what products do you recommend?

If no what do you recommend to help keep them clear and protected?

Currently I am just using SG with rain repellent after I wash my truck. Just curious about the subject.

Mike Phillips
09-07-2009, 10:47 AM
There's an old saying...

"Something is better than nothing"

Just about everything breaks down over time when exposed to the elements, especially if exposed to the elements 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Look at all the cars driving around with yellow, hazy headlights, the plastic used for the exterior lens doesn't get better and better with time, it gets worse and worse with time and exposure. So....

"Something is better than nothing"

Meguiar's M16 was sold for years in their Marine Catalog to use on brightwork, that's a fancy word for shiny metal surfaces. I asked the chemist about this and he said that while not a perfect solution, applying a coat of wax onto for example a chrome hand rail on a boat would create a barrier-coating that would block out moisture and salty in the air and help slow down the deterioration process. At least it would help more than doing nothing at all.

So when it comes to your plastic headlights, doing something will probably be better than doing nothing at all.

In the Diamondite line there is a product specifically formulated to protect clear plastics called Diamondite® Clear Plastic Liquid Armor (http://www.autogeek.net/dia-plastic-liquid-armor.html).

While it's best to match the right product to the surface being treated, at the same time something is better than nothing.

Besides that, just that act of applying and working a liquid over the surface will help to keep it clean and smooth and this by itself will tend to maintain and preserve the surface versus doing nothing at all.

Diamondite® Clear Plastic Liquid Armor (http://www.autogeek.net/dia-plastic-liquid-armor.html).
Diamondite Clear Plastic Liquid Armor is a polymer sealant designed specifically to seal the pores of plastic and protect it from water, pollution, and the sun. Clear plastic headlights, vinyl windows, windscreens, and more will remain clean, clear, and protected.

UV exposure is the number one cause of plastic deterioration on automobiles. The sun gradually dries out the plastic and causes it to cloud from the outside, in. Once the damage is done, polishing the plastic is the only way to restore it. But, you can prevent UV damage with Diamondite Clear Plastic Liquid Armor, a sophisticated blend of polymers that provides vital protection from the sun. You wear sunglasses to protect your eyes; protect your headlights in the same way.

Diamondite Clear Plastic Liquid Armor is a water-based polymer sealant designed specifically for clear plastic. Polymers fill in the microscopic grooves and pores of the plastic to completely block out moisture, dirt, and UV radiation. Clear Plastic Liquid Armor contains the strongest UV shield available in a plastic protectant.

Use Diamondite Clear Plastic Liquid Armor after steps one and two of the Diamondite Clear Plastic Kit. The freshly polished plastic will be particularly sensitive since any factory protective coating has been polished away. Most of this coating had already faded, which is why the headlights needed polishing in the first place. Diamondite Clear Plastic Liquid Armor will restore a high level of protection to the headlight lens covers to maintain their smooth feel and crystal clear appearance.

For preventative maintenance, apply Diamondite Clear Plastic Liquid Armor regularly to new lens covers. Though headlights are coated before leaving the factory, it can be difficult to know when that coating is starting to diminish. The best fix for cloudy headlights is to prevent them from the beginning.

Diamondite Clear Plastic Liquid Armor provides up to 3 months of durable protection against pollution, moisture, and UV rays. The tough coating even provides some scratch resistance. The sealant dries perfectly clear and enhances the shine of the headlight lens covers, as if they were new.

Diamondite Clear Plastic Liquid Armor can also be used on instrument panels, vinyl convertible windows, plastic windscreens, goggles, visors, motorcycle headlamps, fiberglass, Plexiglas, acrylic, and all clear or colored plastics.

Armor your vehicle’s plastic headlight lenses against the elements with Diamondite Clear Plastic Liquid Armor. This water-based plastic sealant contains long-lasting polymers and a strong UV shield to keep headlight lenses looking factory new.

:)

Jeremy
09-07-2009, 10:54 AM
I use either Opti-seal or PB wheel sealant on them

keke1987
09-07-2009, 10:55 AM
wolfgang plastik sealant (http://www.autogeek.net/plastik-surface-sealant.html)

AeroCleanse
09-07-2009, 10:57 AM
Opti-Seal or Ultima Paint Guard Plus

67Customs
09-07-2009, 01:58 PM
I use whatever I use on the paint.

alexjn1
09-07-2009, 02:15 PM
Thanks for the great information. :xyxthumbs:

My headlights are in great shape now and I do plan on keeping my truck for several years.

I guess now all I need to do is some more product research and then add to the wish list/shopping basket.

ScottB
09-07-2009, 06:00 PM
I use Plexus or Dp Plex-All weekly ...

Emile
09-07-2009, 06:26 PM
Sealant Glaze is perfect for sealing headlights and tail lights. I usually just use whatever sealant or wax I am using and wax over the lights. It seems to bond just fine.

BlackSunshine01
09-08-2009, 03:02 AM
i re did my lights on my thunderbird and just left them raw. they hazed over again pretty quick. but when i re did my mustang the lamps are super easy to pull so i took them out and hit them with some rattle can clear. clear looks great but my wack ass spray tint job dosent. lol