PDA

View Full Version : What should follow UC?

JCruiza120
09-06-2009, 10:40 AM
Hey guys, I'm looking for a consumer-line polish follow up to UC, I can get Meg's Scratch-X 2.0 and Swirl-x locally, which would be better? Application is with a PC.

Thanks!

JCruiza120
09-06-2009, 11:30 AM
I can also get Mirror Glaze 1-4 locally if you feel that a 4-3 combo would be better with a PC than UC-swirlx.

Nappers
09-06-2009, 12:13 PM
What are you working on and how is the paint?

UC is pretty aggressive. SwirlX would be a good bet. I used M02 with a G100 with good results but the new UC/SwirlX is a good combo.

Start with SwirlX or lesser aggressive product and go up if your dial in process calls for it then do the whole car based on what you dial in your test spot.

I've used UC/SwirlX as a combo with great results. ScratchX is a little more powerful than SwirlX and you don't get as much in a bottle of SwirlX.....I use ScratchX for isolated deeper scratches.....

JCruiza120
09-06-2009, 12:17 PM
I'm just looking to change around my process for lower-price details. I've been using UC then LSP (NXT 2.0 Paste) but I'd like to step it up a bit without going to non-OTC products for convenience and price. My first test car will be my 99 Miata, so-so paint, lots of surface scratches, deep blue color.

Thanks for your response!

Nappers
09-06-2009, 12:25 PM
Not sure on Miata paint but if there are lots of scratches, I would still try SwirlX and make at least a couple or three passes before moving up. It stinks to do a whole car and not like how it looks using something you "think" will work, hence test spotting as you probably know.

Can't go wrong with UC/SwirlX/ScratchX for OTC stuff.....

JCruiza120
09-06-2009, 12:39 PM
Well I've ran the entire car with UC and NXT 2.0 before and I liked how it turned out, but I've been told to do a polishing step after the UC to bring out the shine more. I'm probably going to do a half and half and then see how I feel about the UC vs UC-swirlx.

kaptain_zero
09-06-2009, 01:06 PM
The ultimate answer to this question is to do a "test spot". That and only that will tell you what works best for YOUR situation. I've played with my recently arrived UC and SwirlX as I only had ScratchX 2.0 before and was very happy with the speed of correction from UC when used by hand with an MF towel on a Poly shelled helmet that I have. I was somewhat surprised when I then went to SwirlX on the same spot to polish it up that there was still a slight haze, faint but visible on that black helmet. The really surprising part was that when I then applied ScratchX 2.0 over top using the same application method, the spot became perfectly polished with no hazing. Not what I expected but thankfully I did the test spot first so now I know that for THAT particular helmet, it's UC followed by ScratchX 2.0 for the best results. My car will very likely behave differently.

Regards

Christian

JCruiza120
09-06-2009, 09:21 PM
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I'll go pick up both products tomorrow as well as another bottle of UC as I'm running out, and I'll see how a test spot turns out on my Miata. :thumbsup:

Garry Dean
09-06-2009, 09:56 PM
UC is the consumer level M105 and Swirl X is the consumer level M205. Hope that helps.

Bunky
09-07-2009, 06:07 AM
I saw a chart at another web site that put UC about midway between SwirlX/205 and M105 in cut. I do not know if that was based upon actual use.

I know Mike does not say because Meg's never said (Meg's does not provide cut numbers to consumer products) so we have to rely on users providing feedback on where they think it is.

JCruiza120
09-07-2009, 08:36 AM
I just ordered a swirl-free kit from AG with 105/205, so when it comes in I'll offer a comparison on my blue car for UC/Swirlx and 105/205.

DLB
09-08-2009, 08:31 AM
I saw a chart at another web site that put UC about midway between SwirlX/205 and M105 in cut. I do not know if that was based upon actual use.

I know Mike does not say because Meg's never said (Meg's does not provide cut numbers to consumer products) so we have to rely on users providing feedback on where they think it is.
Actually, Mike has said before.
Aggressiveness Order for New Consumer Products - This will surprise you! - Car Care Forums: Meguiar's Online (http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28407)
He puts the UC right with 105.

DLB