PDA

View Full Version : Can NXT be used as a LSP following Synthetic sealant 2.0

Lee Yoder
09-05-2009, 07:08 PM
Good evening all,
I am wondering if I can use NXT over the synthetic sealant 2.0, or should I use #26 yellow?

Thanks,
Lee

loudog2
09-05-2009, 07:43 PM
NXT has cleaning abilities, so it will remove the sealant layer. I would use the #26.

ScottB
09-05-2009, 08:52 PM
I too might tend to think the calcified kaolin in NXT might remove some or all of a previous layer of wax or sealant. It has been suggested NXT offers some light cleaning abilities. Not sure if the newer 2.0 version does or not.

Mike Phillips
09-07-2009, 08:50 AM
The first version of NXT contained a light amount of cleaner in it to help clean the surface, keep in mind this product is sold on the retail shelf of auto parts stores and targeted at Joe Consumer and Joe Consumer generally will do two thing,

Wash the car
Wax the car

The majority of average car owns only know wash and wax and that's about all you can get them to do outside of things like dress the tires, vacuum the floor and clean the windows.

With this in mind, daily drivers, which is what Joe Consumer owns, sit at least part of each day parked outside, for example in the parking lot where Joe works.

Dirt and air-borne pollution land on the car and if not removed some portion of these contaminant will bond to the paint giving the paint a texture or rough feeling and dulling and clouding the original clarity and gloss. Over time this becomes a film on the paint.

For this reason, just about every wax or paint sealant marketed towards Joe Consumer has to be able to clean the finish to some degree. The reason for his are,

Cleaning the paint enables the protection ingredients to bond or stick to the paint better and thus protect better and last longer. A wax or paint sealant can't protect the paint if it isn't staying behind and cleaning the surface enables the wax to be able to reach and bond onto the paint.

Cleaning the paint creates a visible before and after difference. Again, step outside the enthusiast's point of view and try to think like the average person that doesn't now much about detailing and doesn't want to make detailing their new hobby.

Over time, a car's finish dulls, becomes hazy and if it's a clear coat finish it becomes filed with swirls which act to block your view of the color coat under the clear because the scratches are opaque.

Now follow me on this...

The average person wants to see a difference after they apply and remove a coat of wax, the worse the paint, the bigger the difference, the more dramatic the wow factor.

You can't create a wow factor if you're using a pure wax or non-cleaning paint sealant on dirty, neglected paint and as discussed above, the wax or paint sealant won't last very long if it can't physically get to the paint because their's a film of dirt and road grime already on the surface.

So in order to create a before and after difference that shows up to the eyes of Joe Consumer, most waxes sold at the retail level must have some cleaning ability.

Most consumer waxes don't say right on the label, Cleaner/Wax, for example Nu-Finish, Rain Dance, Turtle Wax, Kit Wax, etc. yet all these waxes have cleaning ability, they have to have the ability to clean because they're going to be used on paint that's neglected and the companies that make them fully understand this.

Some cleaner/waxes actually do say cleaner/wax right on the front label, for example Meguiar's Cleaner/Wax in the maroon bottle and Mother's California Gold Original Formula Carnauba Cleaner/Wax (http://www.autogeek.net/motcalgolorf.html) in the red bottle are great examples and usually have enough information on the label to help educate Joe Consumer as to what the product is and what the product will do and this is enough information to explain to Joe Consumer that this is a product for them if the paint on their car is not in perfect condition.

There are also some waxes commonly sold at the retail level that don't contain any cleaning ability and are targeted at paint that is in excellent condition. Usually there's enough information on the label to get this point across to Joe Consumer, examples of these would be Mother's California Gold Pure Carnauba Car Wax (http://www.autogeek.net/motcalgolcar.html), Meguiar's Deep Crystal Carnauba Wax. Both of these products should be used on paint in new or like new condition or after first cleaning the paint with a pre-wax paint cleaner.

Back to the question in this thread, before introducing NXT 2.0, it was reformulated from the bottom up, I heard this from the head chemist himself, but my guess is that because it's a retail shelf product for the average Joe Consumer then it's still going to have some cleaning ability in order to make the end-user happy. That is it will clean the paint enough to enable the protection ingredients to bond to the paint so they will last and also to create a dramatic before and after visual difference so when Joe Consumer makes their final wipe and stands back to check their results it looks different, it looks better, the gloss and clarity are restored. You typically don't get dramatic before and after results when you use a pure wax, or non-cleaning wax or paint sealant on dirty, neglected paint.

M21 also contains some light cleaning ability because of the way it's designed to be used and that's on a less than perfect finish so that after wipe-off there's a dramatic before and after difference.

In the detailing world, most production detailing work consists of washing the car, maybe claying the paint and then using a cleaner/wax to remove swirls, oxidation, road grime and other contaminants and restore clarity, gloss and shine. So you want and need a product with some kind of cleaning ability; even if it's only a light amount.

Don't forget that besides the cleaners in the product itself, the application materials and process are both huge factors in how gentle or how aggressive a product is.

For example applying any product with a soft foam buffing pad with a dual action polisher won't offer much cleaning ability but applying the same product with a wool cutting pad on a rotary buffer will dramatically increase the cleaning effect of the process and the product.

NXT has some light cleaning ability and depending up what it's used over an how it's applied, it may remove something previously applied, depends upon what's already on the surface and how you apply it, soft and gently like applying skin lotion to your face or aggressively like compounding with some passion.

It's still a very nice paint sealant. If the paint is neglected, that is it's not in new or like new condition you should use some kind of pre-cleaner first and also clay the paint if it needs to be clayed.

This car started out pretty hazy with swirls and oxidation. This is a single stage paint so it's pretty easy to work on. I used M80 Speed Glaze with a foam polishing pad on a DA Polisher followed by a couple thin coats of NXT Tech wax using a finishing pad and it came out pretty nice.

http://www.showcargarage.com/gallery/files/1/BatmobileFinished001_566880.jpg

At this time Meguiar's doesn't offer a non-cleaning paint sealant in either their Consumer Line or their Professional Line. While I worked for them I was the biggest advocate of such a product because I knew that's that serious online enthusiasts wanted.

Most serious online enthusiasts as well as professional detailers, pre-clean the paint through a multiple step compounding and polishing process. By the time they're ready for a wax or a paint sealant they don't' want something with a cleaner it it. Luckily, Autogeek understands this and offers a number on non-cleaning waxes and paint sealants for people that are willing to invest the time and effort in dedicated cleaning and polishing steps.

SEMA is coming up, maybe they'll introduce a pure sealant, or a non-cleaning sealant for 2010? I haven't heard anything, it's one of those wait and see things.

The do offer 3 products that do not offer any cleaning ability but they all use some type of waxy substance in these formulas and I know most people differentiate a wax from a paint sealant by whether the product contains natural occurring ingredients or all man-made/synthetic ingredients.

These would be, M26 Hi Tech Yellow wax, (Blended wax, non-cleaning), Deep Crystal Carnauba Wax, (Blended wax, non-cleaning), M16 Professional Paste Wax, (Blended wax, non-cleaning). M16 was discontinued in the U.S. because apparently the U.S. has the tightest pollution restrictions, (V.O.C restrictions), than the rest of the world, not that a can of wax is even remotely close to being a part of the problem as far a protecting the environment goes as there are a lot worse things going on around the world.

Hope that helps a little...

:)

Mike Phillips
09-07-2009, 08:52 AM
Good evening all,
I am wondering if I can use NXT over the synthetic sealant 2.0, or should I use #26 yellow?

Thanks,
Lee

The short answer...

Most people would choose M26 or a product like Pinnacle Souveran over M21

If you're using M21 then using NXT would be redundant.

Jossy92
09-07-2009, 09:03 AM
Thank you, Understanding the "whys" sure helps.

Mike Phillips
09-07-2009, 09:45 AM
I'm a big believer in teaching both

What to do
Why you're doing it
How to do it
All three are important...

korny351
09-08-2009, 01:15 AM
Wish I had seen this thread a week ago. Used the Klasse twins on my old Ranger and proceeded to top with NXT 1st gen. This truck is my test bed. Trying to get my technique down as well as my lineup of products before I attack my '07 Tacoma. Used the NXT just because that's what I had on hand. From what I have just read I'm assuming that I've already damaged the sealant coat if not actually removed it. At this point, would a Dawn wash to remove th NXT be sufficient prep before reapplying the Klasse sealant? Will be topping the sealant with Natty's as soon as my next order is received.