PDA

View Full Version : Spots on windows visible with polarized sunglasses

fritzdog
09-21-2006, 05:04 PM
I'm new to this wonderful world of automotive detailing when I stumpled upon this site a couple weeks ago after getting my new 2007 black Saturn Aura. Last week I received my first two packages from AG including a PC and various cleaning and polishing items, pads and microfiber towels.

I've always noticed when I wear my polarized sunglasses that oftentimes there appears to be translucent spots on car windows, typically on the rear window but sometimes visible on the side ones as well. What causes these spots and can they be removed? I've noticed that these spots are visible on my Aura's rear glass and would like to remove them if possible when I detail the car this weekend.

Thanks, Fritz

ScottB
09-21-2006, 06:06 PM
I too see them with my polarized Revo's. It appears to be the glue or holding agent that was used to coat/cover the glass while in transit to the manufacturer. Very noticable on rear windows .... never could remove it, and can see it thru some tinted windows also.

Brace1
09-21-2006, 07:32 PM
I don't think it's tint or glue related, but rather the light refraction (or lack thereof) that distinguishes polarized glasses. One of the selling points that you'll often see on the rack where they sell the shades, is that you can see a fish "underwater" on a tinted glass that you can't see without the shades.

Meghan
09-21-2006, 07:42 PM
I don't think it's tint or glue related, but rather the light refraction (or lack thereof) that distinguishes polarized glasses. One of the selling points that you'll often see on the rack where they sell the shades, is that you can see a fish "underwater" on a tinted glass that you can't see without the shades.
:iagree:
I just got my first pair, and well I find it annoying to look at vehicles, almost all have those little round circles.

dengood1
09-21-2006, 09:01 PM
Kind of like a rainbow effect? I see them with my polarized Oakleys, but I love them. Kills all glare, which kills my eyes!

snomon1017
09-22-2006, 09:18 AM
My experience is that your brain gets used to the spots/rainbows and that you eventually stop seeing them. It also seems to matter how sensitive your eyes/brain are to them. When I got my first polarized sunglasses, it seemed ALL car windshields were totally covered in rainbows, like gas on a puddle of water. Now I don't see it at all, even when I try to look for it.

It's the same way with those new DLP digital video projectors/TV's. Some people see loads of rainbows in bright scenes. Others don't see any rainbows at all. It all depends on your sensitivity.

I remember a first year psych experiement we did in college. My class all had to wear these funky glasses for a week that made everything look upside down. For the first few days, it was hard to do anything . . . I mean it was like walking on the sky/ceiling. But later in the week, everything seemed to go back to normal - with the glasses on. When we finally took off the glasses, the world was upside down again. It took almost a full day for things to return to normal!

I just love the way our brains work!!!!!

FloridaNative
09-22-2006, 10:02 AM
I just love the way our brains work!!!!!

:iagree: The power of the mind is fascinating! Like the levitation that the Indian Guru's can do or martial arts where a Kung Fu master can break through cinder blocks or wood planks with his bare hand. Truly amazing!

Craig
09-22-2006, 10:49 AM
Spots are no big deal. Rainbows, I don't think so. The glass would be busted out and replaced. I just don't want anyone to get the wrong idea.:D

fritzdog
09-23-2006, 09:30 AM
Thanks for the replys. I guess if you guys don't know how to remove these spots it cannot be done. Oh well...

The other thing I do not like about wearing my polarized glasses is that the head up display in our 2004 Rendezvous almost disappears and I have to tilt my head to about a 45 degree angle to see the HUD.

Fritz

shevie
10-02-2006, 04:02 PM
I Had Really Bad Water Sports On My Windows. I Tired Everthing That Was Suggested To Me. Ammonia, Vineger, Clay, Fine Steel Wool, Along With Some Other Things. The Only Things That Worked Was 3m Rubbing Compound Applied With Fine Steel Wool, Then Wipe Off With With Microfiber Towel. Windows Look Brand New. Hope This Helps!