PDA

View Full Version : How long to wait between wax coats?

Pages : [1] 2

gooch06
09-04-2009, 08:53 PM
Hi I have 2009 Red Honda Civic Si. I'm gonna use Wolfgangs Paint sealant. I also have Pinnacle Souveran Paste and Liquid. How long should I wait before I use Pinnacle Souveran on top of Wolfgangs? Is there any advantage to using the Paste Souveran wax over the Liquid Souveran? Thanks

loudog2
09-04-2009, 09:00 PM
Usually you would give the sealant 12-24 hours to cure before applying the wax over it. Souveran liquid and paste are 2 totally different waxes. The liquid will last longer than the paste. I know the liquid was polycharged, but I don't know if it still is. The paste will last you a couple weeks only. The paste will look better on red, black and yellow.

rwisejr
09-04-2009, 09:01 PM
At least 12 hrs

gooch06
09-04-2009, 09:08 PM
Is Wolfgang's Paint Sealant a good product to use or should I stay with Pinnacle waxes?

loudog2
09-04-2009, 09:24 PM
I always use wolfgang DGPS. I used it with fuzion, RBOE, souveran, P21S 100% and right now with supernatural as a topper.

gooch06
09-04-2009, 09:58 PM
Would it be okay to use Wolfgang's first then follow with Liquid Souveran 12 hours later then a final coat of Souveran Paste 12 after the liquid? Would this combo. make a red car shine!

Rsurfer
09-04-2009, 10:07 PM
Would it be okay to use Wolfgang's first then follow with Liquid Souveran 12 hours later then a final coat of Souveran Paste 12 after the liquid? Would this combo. make a red car shine!It will if you preped it right, but I think that's overkill. Put 2 coats of 3.0 12 hrs. apart and 12 hrs. latter use one or the other.

Rsurfer
09-04-2009, 10:09 PM
I always use wolfgang DGPS. I used it with fuzion, RBOE, souveran, P21S 100% and right now with supernatural as a topper.
Hey loud, which nuba did you like best over 3.0? I don't have RBOE. Thanks

DonMTV
09-05-2009, 01:14 AM
Cure the sealant for 12 hours after buffing it off? Then do you wash the car and then top with another layer of sealant? Then wait 12 more hours then wash again and top with a wax? or can you just do a quick detailer after each curing session? All depending on the environment of course. I am in MA, but my car isn't garaged and I don't have a cover.

Rsurfer
09-05-2009, 04:51 AM
Cure the sealant for 12 hours after buffing it off? Then do you wash the car and then top with another layer of sealant? Then wait 12 more hours then wash again and top with a wax? or can you just do a quick detailer after each curing session? All depending on the environment of course. I am in MA, but my car isn't garaged and I don't have a cover.Yes, let the sealant cure for 12 hrs. after removing. You can't have moisture touch your paint for 12hrs. while curing. Might be hard to do with no garage, but I guess if the weather forecast is no rain then start early and by the time the sun sets you'll be ok. If no rain that night you could QD or do an ONR wash. Start the process all over and then 12 hrs. later you can wax.

loudog2
09-05-2009, 06:49 AM
Hey loud, which nuba did you like best over 3.0? I don't have RBOE. Thanks
Thanks a hard choice. My 3 favorites are supernatural, fuzion and RBOE. I switch off between each. Usually I use RBOE in the winter. It has great durability. Then I use the other 2 from spring to fall.

rwisejr
09-05-2009, 09:04 AM
Thanks a hard choice. My 3 favorites are supernatural, fuzion and RBOE. I switch off between each. Usually I use RBOE in the winter. It has great durability. Then I use the other 2 from spring to fall.

I have all 3 of those mentioned and I just put the second coat of Wolfgang 3.0 on and it looks outstanding on its own. I'm gonna give the Fuzion a whirl and see how I like that combo. That Wolfgang sealant is really an out standing product.

Mike Phillips
09-05-2009, 10:35 AM
Good thread and great answers, all I want to do is chime in with just a little tidbit of information.

For most waxes and paint sealants, (most not all), the idea is to apply the product as a thin coating working the product into the paint as much as possible. Under a microscope paint is not 1005 flat, it has little hills and valleys, pits and pores, and as it ages it has interstices, which means microscopic cracks and fissures. When you apply a coat of wax you want to try to push the wax, (or paint sealant), into all these sub-surface imperfections.

Next, let the product dry to a haze or until it swipes clear.

After it has dried, remove the excess softly using a premium quality microfiber polishing cloth.

After that... quit touching it and let the protection ingredients you have deposited on the surface completely set-up, harden and bond to the paint.

Each time you give the paint another wipe you disrupt the coating you have just applied and push the protection ingredients around and 'yes' even remove them which is the opposite of what you're trying to do.

Even if the finish doesn't look 100% even, if you can wait, then do wait and let the coating fully set-up.

The 12 to 24 hour rule is just a guideline, it's a window-of-time to let pass so that all the protection ingredients have fully set-up.

The reason this window of time is vague is because you don't know at the microscopic surface level which areas are fully set-up and which areas are not, so you let a window-of-time go by before you either,

Apply another coat
Give the paint a final wipe (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/19956-final-wipe.html)
Just to note, it's not always possible to wait to give the paint a second coating. For example, when I do mobile detailing, if my customer lives a long ways from me then I'm probably not going to be back the next day, (12 hours later), so I wait about a 1/2 hour or so and then apply my second coat.

Two coats of wax or paint sealant insures,

Uniform Coverage
Uniform Appearance
So apply one coat, let it dry, wipe it off and if you do a good job in most cases that's enough. If you can and want to, apply two coats and let your schedule in part determine how long you wait to apply this second coat.

None of us live in a perfect world so we have to let our schedules play a factor in how long we wait to apply a second, or even third coating of wax or paint sealant but the above stated reason is why you want to quit touching the paint after you wipe off any number of coats of wax or paint sealant.

:)

belcherm58
09-05-2009, 12:16 PM
After that... quit touching it and let the protection ingredients you have deposited on the surface completely set-up, harden and bond to the paint.

Each time you give the paint another wipe you disrupt the coating you have just applied and push the protection ingredients around and 'yes' even remove them which is the opposite of what you're trying to do.

Even if the finish doesn't look 100% even, if you can wait, then do wait and let the coating fully set-up.

" Mike Phillips "

I like this comment. In the past, I have sealed a car and after the wipe down, the finish looked kinda blurred. A watery
looking finish. The next day after curing, the finish was clear
and reflective. Have you ever noticed that before?

Rsurfer
09-05-2009, 01:04 PM
Good thread and great answers, all I want to do is chime in with just a little tidbit of information.

For most waxes and paint sealants, (most not all), the idea is to apply the product as a thin coating working the product into the paint as much as possible. Under a microscope paint is not 1005 flat, it has little hills and valleys, pits and pores, and as it ages it has interstices, which means microscopic cracks and fissures. When you apply a coat of wax you want to try to push the wax, (or paint sealant), into all these sub-surface imperfections.

Next, let the product dry to a haze or until it swipes clear.

After it has dried, remove the excess softly using a premium quality microfiber polishing cloth.

The 12 to 24 hour rule is just a guideline, it's a window-of-time to let pass so that all the protection ingredients have fully set-up.

The reason this window of time is vague is because you don't know at the microscopic surface level which areas are fully set-up and which areas are not, so you let a window-of-time go by before you either,

Apply another coat
Give the paint a final wipe (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/19956-final-wipe.html)Just to note, it's not always possible to wait to give the paint a second coating. For example, when I do mobile detailing, if my customer lives a long ways from me then I'm probably not going to be back the next day, (12 hours later), so I wait about a 1/2 hour or so and then apply my second coat.

Two coats of wax or paint sealant insures,

Uniform Coverage
Uniform AppearanceSo apply one coat, let it dry, wipe it off and if you do a good job in most cases that's enough. If you can and want to, apply two coats and let your schedule in part determine how long you wait to apply this second coat.

None of us live in a perfect world so we have to let our schedules play a factor in how long we wait to apply a second, or even third coating of wax or paint sealant but the above stated reason is why you want to quit touching the paint after you wipe off any number of coats of wax or paint sealant.

:)Good advice Mike. Too many detailers will buff the crap out of the wax/sealant before fully curing. They believe the more you buff the more gloss you'll get, when in fact you are removing more product.