PDA

View Full Version : Crazy question about melting paste wax

Pages : [1] 2

CakeDaddy
09-04-2009, 04:04 PM
First off: I barely made it thru chemistry with a C-

If I melt my PoorBoys Natty's Blue Paste or any paste wax for that matter down to a liquid via my microwave in order to strain all of the small fibers, particals and junk that my foam and cloth applicators created over time during the constant dipping in/outs, will it turn back into a solid once it cools.

Mike Phillips
09-04-2009, 04:53 PM
First off: I barely made thru chemistry with a C-

If I melt my PoorBoys Natty's Blue Paste or any paste wax for that matter down to a liquid via my microwave in order to strain all of the small fibers, particles and junk that my foam and cloth applicators created over time during the constant dipping in/outs, will it turn back into a solid once it cools.

It probably will but you might change how the formula performs.

I wouldn't do it myself. As a best practice, turn you applicator pad over and inspect it before putting back into your can and try to work clean as much as you can, by this the surface of the paint should be clean, your hands should be clean, the garage should be clean, etc.

Maybe just try picking any debris out of the can an not melting it or get a new can of wax?

:dunno:

agpatel
09-04-2009, 05:01 PM
Maybe just take clean cloth and wipe the top portion of the wax off to get at the fresh stuff under it.

Mike Phillips
09-04-2009, 05:16 PM
Maybe just take clean cloth and wipe the top portion of the wax off to get at the fresh stuff under it.

Or a clean/new paper towel, or piece of a paper towel.

:)

smokin' mark
09-04-2009, 06:12 PM
I'm going to catch hell for this, but I melt Dodo Purple Haze and Souveran in the oven (150). Once they are liquid I mix them. Truly the ultimate wax on black. No laughing!

Rsurfer
09-04-2009, 08:52 PM
Some waxes can be melted and re-harden, but some can't. Some will separate the oils from the wax when heated. It could also change the chemistry of the wax. I wouldn't do it.

Jimmie
09-04-2009, 10:53 PM
Some waxes can be melted and re-harden, but some can't. Some will separate the oils from the wax when heated. It could also change the chemistry of the wax. I wouldn't do it.
Yep, in the past I've seen guys on here pretty sad that they couldn't cool their wax back to a solid form. No personal experience. I've always been afraid to try it with paste. However I've always wondered about some liquid waxes mixed with QD's.

detail viking
09-04-2009, 11:37 PM
:poke:Seems like a little overkill...

ScottB
09-05-2009, 07:32 AM
At the price point of Nattys, if you felt it was harmed it would just be time for a new jar. Maybe trying the newest "red" version. I just dont see melting waxes or trying to mix your own superwax.

Nappers
09-05-2009, 09:53 AM
Chris - PorscheGuy994 (or is it 944.....??:D) melts and blends M26 and M16 waxes with good results.....It took him a time or two to get it down.

I have only melted shoe polish to reform it.....

ryandamartini
09-05-2009, 09:59 AM
I know you can melt megs 16 and FK Pink Wax together. Justin did it back in the day to lengthen his supply of 16. hehe

If you are going to melt it, stick the block in a metal bowl and place the bowl in a big pot of boiling water.

unclestu
09-05-2009, 10:43 AM
I am a newbie but I got this tip from Dwayne at AG and it seems to work well for me. He suggested that I use an old credit card and shave off a small amount of wax and butter the pad with it. I find that this method affords great quantity control over the product as well as keeping the tub of wax free of contamination. Thanks Dwayne!!!

nrengle
09-05-2009, 10:55 AM
I melted pieces of Fuzion when I got the Sub-Zero special, and it's worked fine since. Heck it was even recommended on this forum by some of the folks at AG. Just used a hair dryer and did it slowly. Got it to a pliable form, not a total liquid, and molded it all back together. Had worked fine for me ever since.

gofastman
09-05-2009, 11:04 AM
I wouldn't melt wax in the microwave, a lot of them contain various solvents and mineral spirits. I would be concerned that that stuff could somehow get in your food, I could also be a potential fire hazard i would think.
If you are dead set on doing this, i would use a large pot with about 1 inch of water and heat it carefully on the stove, preferably with an exhaust fan on.

CakeDaddy
09-05-2009, 02:11 PM
I'm going to catch hell for this, but I melt Dodo Purple Haze and Souveran in the oven (150). Once they are liquid I mix them. Truly the ultimate wax on black. No laughing!

:props: Im digging that combo, especially on black.

Seems like a little overkill...

no such thing as "overkill" when you want to achieve the best possible solution for a good looking car. Welcome to ATUOGEEKS ;)