PDA

View Full Version : Lazy wheel cleaning

tktlau
09-03-2009, 03:27 PM
I am a spray and hose off guy. I have been using Meguiar'sŪ Hot Rims Wheel Cleaner but the result is just ok. It seems to me that the forum's current favorite wheel gel cleaners are P21S Wheel Gel Cleaner and DP Gel Wheel Cleaner.

I realize that P21S is non-American. I am worrying that Canadians are going to be charged a big duty at the custom. Any thought?

DP Gel Wheel Cleaner is not a gel anymore. From a review, "the only warning I will give is this is not actually a gel. It is in liquid form..." Is it going to stick to the wheels then?

Thanks!

ScottB
09-03-2009, 06:16 PM
If you want a spray/rinse wheel cleaner than move to Poorboys. P21S and Griots (my favs) do need some agitation in my experiences. P21S offers both a liquid and gel, and the gel is thicker but not a gel in the traditional sense IMO more like those toilet cleaners.

InTheBuff
09-03-2009, 06:22 PM
P21S and Griots (my favs) do need some agitation in my experiences.

I use Griots and I agree. One definitely needs to use the little sponge that comes with the cleaner in order to get the wheels clean.

But...
I'm not sure if this violates the lazy, but if you waxed or glazed the wheels then the cleaning would be much easier.

I'm about to find out, having applied 2 coats of DP Wheel Glaze last weekend. I'm waiting to see some brake dust on the glaze so that I can try the hose off method. I can let you know how it goes, if you are interested.

tktlau
09-03-2009, 06:48 PM
I use Griots and I agree. One definitely needs to use the little sponge that comes with the cleaner in order to get the wheels clean.

But...
I'm not sure if this violates the lazy, but if you waxed or glazed the wheels then the cleaning would be much easier.

I'm about to find out, having applied 2 coats of DP Wheel Glaze last weekend. I'm waiting to see some brake dust on the glaze so that I can try the hose off method. I can let you know how it goes, if you are interested.

Thanks! I definitely love to hear that!

tktlau
09-03-2009, 06:50 PM
If you want a spray/rinse wheel cleaner than move to Poorboys. P21S and Griots (my favs) do need some agitation in my experiences. P21S offers both a liquid and gel, and the gel is thicker but not a gel in the traditional sense IMO more like those toilet cleaners.

Thanks. Let me check out Poorboys and Griots too.

Dusty Bottoms
09-03-2009, 10:09 PM
Amazing Roll-Off Spray it on and watch the dirt roll off! (http://www.autogeek.net/amazingrolloff.html)

ARO is awesome. You should definitely look into a wheel brush, agitation always helps.

loco
09-04-2009, 07:20 AM
If you put a sealant on your wheels, you don't need anything but car wash soap to clean them with. I used UPGP but any good sealant should do. I just spray my wheels/tires with the foam gun, let it soak for 30 seconds or so, and use a wheel brush to get what little brake dust is left.

DLB
09-04-2009, 08:18 AM
My most recent wheel cleaner purchase was the Poorboys, and I have to say, I am not overly impressed for the cost.

If you just want your wheels to be mostly clean, it does a good job with the spray and rinse method. It is a very strong product, but I don't think that you can get a true spray and rinse with no agitation that is going to give superbly clean results.

I think a good wheel washing is the only way to get the wheels clean. After that, take loco's advice and seal them and just use regular wash soap after that.

On customer cars, I think I will go back to the SCG Beyond Steel because it is a tire and wheel cleaner. If you have to agitate anyway, might as well get it all. Plus, it is a very potent cleaner too that is safe for all wheels.

DLB

gofastman
09-04-2009, 12:28 PM
If you put a sealant on your wheels, you don't need anything but car wash soap to clean them with. I used UPGP but any good sealant should do. I just spray my wheels/tires with the foam gun, let it soak for 30 seconds or so, and use a wheel brush to get what little brake dust is left.
Im a fan of NXT on wheels, really stops brake dust from bonding.
I recently tried PPC's Real Wheel Cleaner and found it to be fantastic! Meg's WB has a slight edge in terms of shear HP and cost per Oz, but PPC is alot safer and does a decent job on tires too.
To the OP: I think many of these "high end" wheel cleaners are desined for people who are willing to spend a little more time on each wheel. for a spray on hose off product you should try EO A2Z or Meg's WB

tktlau
09-05-2009, 05:05 PM

Thanks! I've heard good things about UPGP. How well does it work on the wheels?

loco
09-05-2009, 05:51 PM
Thanks! I've heard good things about UPGP. How well does it work on the wheels?

It works great. I put a layer of UPGP on my wheels about 5 weeks ago, and I am able to keep my wheels perfectly clean with just car wash soap and a brush. Much of the brake dust that accumulates during the week comes off with the foam gun soap and water rinse. But I agitate with the brush to get the stuff that likes to stick in the crevices.

The key is to get the wheels really nice and clean before sealing them. P21S is really good to get them clean. After sealing the wheels, you should have a very easy time keeping them clean!

Emile
09-05-2009, 08:18 PM
No can do. If you want clean and shiny rims, you're gonna have to bend over and do the work.

P21S Gel Wheel Cleaner is the best wheel cleaner in the world but it's the most expensive.

I have not been impressed by ARO.

Sticky Gel Wheel Cleaner has been very impressive for me so far. It's pH-neutral and the cleaning power is still really effective diluted down 4:1 which makes it easy on the wallet.