PDA

View Full Version : Polishes and swirls

Excessive Detail
09-20-2006, 05:01 PM
I know someone has probably asjed this before or commented on it, but can polish like xmt or ssr act as fillers if not properley removed and if a swirl is filled how long would it stay filled, after the first was or two washes. You see I've started to notice some very light swirls, in my paint and I've only washed twice since I fully polished out all the swirls, or maybe they just could have been filled and didn't notice, also can sealants and waxes act also as fillers. I pretty sure the swirls didn't come from me washing. I took every recomended step to prevent them, its agrivating the crap out of me. I know swirls can be totally prevented, but I know it should have taken longer time than this to get any.

OCDetails
09-20-2006, 05:51 PM
The 'fillers' that some polishes contain that hide swirls are so small that they can fit in the microscopic space that actually is the swirl. Just neglecting to buff off polishes without any such fillers would not fill in those small scratches in the clear coat. In fact, in using an XMT product or SSR you would actually be removing swirls, so why are you concerned about hiding them? I would suggest that you focus on the actual removal of the swirls rather than looking for ways to hide them. At the most you can only hide them for a couple weeks no matter what filler you use, so it really isn't much of a solution. Focus on your process for removal and then evaluate your products and processes in car care to prevent them from returning. There may be something you can do to limit contact with the paint and thus reduce the chance of causing swirls.

Excessive Detail
09-20-2006, 06:35 PM
The 'fillers' that some polishes contain that hide swirls are so small that they can fit in the microscopic space that actually is the swirl. Just neglecting to buff off polishes without any such fillers would not fill in those small scratches in the clear coat. In fact, in using an XMT product or SSR you would actually be removing swirls, so why are you concerned about hiding them? I would suggest that you focus on the actual removal of the swirls rather than looking for ways to hide them. At the most you can only hide them for a couple weeks no matter what filler you use, so it really isn't much of a solution. Focus on your process for removal and then evaluate your products and processes in car care to prevent them from returning. There may be something you can do to limit contact with the paint and thus reduce the chance of causing swirls.

I'm not really wanting to hide them, I was wondering if mabye I had overlooked some becuase they were filled, basically i thought my car was swirl free and now I'm starting to see some so I wasn't sure if they were filled from the get go and just started unfill.

ScottB
09-20-2006, 07:34 PM
most polishes have some filling ability. Thats the trouble, and why I suggest rewashing or wipe down with alcohol.