PDA

View Full Version : Klasse Sealent under Souveran

ward
09-01-2009, 09:55 AM
I am looking at my first time using high end products and doing a full paint correction and wax. What will the coat of Klasse sealent or any other sealent under Souveran provide? Does it extend out the protecition of the wax?

Mike Phillips
09-01-2009, 10:10 AM
I am looking at my first time using high end products and doing a full paint correction and wax. What will the coat of Klasse sealant or any other sealant under Souveran provide? Does it extend out the protection of the wax?

A lot of people like to layer a Carnauba type wax over a synthetic paint sealant with the idea being sandwiching the two will provide more protection. Makes sense at one level, but keep in mind the surface of your car's paint will only hold so much wax before you reach the point of diminishing returns, that is applying more and more wax doesn't mean a thicker and thicker layer.

It's better to put your car on a regular maintenance program where you're washing and applying a fresh coat of wax or paint sealant.

Klasse is some kind of acrylic paint sealant and is different than just about anything else on the market. I have not personally applied a Carnauba type wax over it but others have and love the look. As far as protection goes any high quality wax or paint sealant is going to protect the surface but again, it's better to wax more often.

Just remember to apply the Klasse product using very thin coats and choose a non-cleaning wax to apply over it, both P21S and Souveran are non-cleaning waxes as are some others in the Autogeek line-up.

:)

02nissanISR
09-01-2009, 12:57 PM
this was the forum favorite combo when i got it the claim was added protection but i think the big thing with carnauba over sealant is appearance. in the past sealant tended to mute the shine vs a good carnauba wax so the answer was to top it, carnauba over sealant bringing back that glossy wet look. Klasse from my understanding is basically the same as it was in the 70's so appearance wise there is a possible benefit. as sealant has progressed this is really not an issue anymore the lines have become blurred if you will as sealants are now closer in appearance to waxes. I currently have this exact combo on my car (Klasse/Souveran) which is only 2 coats of protection a lot of people will do 2 coats of wax to get good coverage. i think if you let the sealant cure and top off with souveran you could se some added protection but as mike said to much of any thing and your just wasting your time and product (he is the pro):props: one thing is for sure it looks really good (not posting pics of my car because its dirty needs a regular maintenance program)

kaptain_zero
09-01-2009, 04:56 PM
I've been thinking about this layering thing a fair amount and I do have some issues with it. My problem is with the sealants and how they work. Apparently sealants can be removed in the same way that waxes can, such as using a 50/50 mix of IPA/water. I'm going to assume that mineral spirits, naphta and the like will do the same. So...this is where I see the problem. All waxes are dissolved/softened/liquefied with some sort of solvent, and that solvent is more than likely capable of dissolving the previous layer of sealant, just like it can dissolve the previous layer of wax, thus the resulting in a maximum thickness of wax and or sealant on paint no matter how many layers you put on.

The threads on this topic (on Detailingworld) have already confirmed that additional layers do NOT build thickness as far as waxes are concerned, though the sealants have not been tested to the same extent.

Waxes such as Collinite 845 use some form of mineral spirits/turps/naphta as the solvent for the waxes (based on my nose) and most other waxes use something along those lines so I just don't see how the sealant can survive intact underneath with all that rubbing and such. If sealants were not affected by these things, I think we'd have a dickens of a time getting them off, something that does not seem to be a problem, nor does it require anything special in the way of solvents.....

Just my two shekels worth....

Regards

Christian

ScottB
09-01-2009, 05:00 PM
Souveran does not last longer over Klasse, but it sure does make it look nicer. Its a great combo.