PDA

View Full Version : interesting job coming soon

BarryK
09-01-2009, 05:03 AM
had a customer bring in a car yesterday for an estimate and to see what I can do to make it look better.

car is a '78 Porsche 930 Turbo. It's been used hard during it's life and approx 1/2 - 3/4 of the car has had body repairs and repaints (too may "incidents" during fun track days I believe).
About the biggest patch of original factory paint is the roof of the car.
The front bumper and the front of the hood/bonnet is covered in road rash and peppered with chips and one or two bad scrapes and scratches.
Tons of oxidation all over the paint and most especially on the fiberglass rear bumper which may or may not have also been repainted at some point and either the oxidation got really bad on the bumper or the repaint has a really poor match as it's a good 2-3 shades lighter than the rest of the car.

The repaints work on the various fenders was very poorly done, you can see tons of orange peel from it and it has a very 'flat' look to the repairs and practically no gloss or shine to the repaired areas at all.

The owner claims that while the paint still beads up when he washes the car, it has not been detailed nor had a coat of wax applied to the car is about 10 years!

I did fast test spot on one fender with a terry cloth applicator and a spot drop of M105, by hand - not machine, and a lot of the oxidation and haziness in the paint came out fairly easily so with my flex 3401 we should see a significant amount of improvement on the overall appearance of the car.
He understands that the chips/road rash I can't do anything about but bringing life back to the neglected paint is going to make the car look TONS better - including the difference it will make when I remove all the old wax, etc that is still showing very plainly and obviously in the panel gaps and alongside the rubber trims and such fro the last 10 year old detail!

the paint is single stage red - non-metallic - so after a good wash, clay, M105/M205, M07 glaze, than M21 sealant (maybe also topped by M26) it's should really shine.

Oh, the interior is all WHITE leather also that hasn't been touched either since the last detail 10 years go and is filthy!

customer is suppose to call me back today to schedule the job if he decides to get the work done. If so, as soon as the car is back here for me to work on I'l post up some before and after pics.

This should definitely be an interesting job....

Gary Sword
09-01-2009, 05:18 AM
A good friend of mine has a 78 930 Turbo. His is in perfect condition. Out of the 8 Porsches he has I like the 930 the best. I love the back.
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/P930_sm.jpg

BarryK
09-01-2009, 05:33 AM
A good friend of mine has a 78 930 Turbo. His is in perfect condition. Out of the 8 Porsches he has I like the 930 the best. I love the back.
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/P930_sm.jpg

I'd take an older 930 Turbo like this customer's car or your friends car over most of the newer / current Porsche's.
A lot of the reason is simple - in their day these were THE hot performance car on the market.
In '78 I was just about to start high school and i remember the 930 turbo's as one of my all-time fantasy cars.

This car (to me anyway) is like my own classic 1965 Corvette. The newer models out perform the older ones is every way - handling, speed, comfort, etc but there is nothing like the looks and appeal of the older classic.

Oh, and i agree with you about the back of the car. To me the greatest appeal is that super wide back with the wide rear quarter fenders the Turbo models had along with the whale tail

alowe
09-01-2009, 06:09 AM
That is a hot car!

Mike Phillips
09-01-2009, 10:43 AM
!

the paint is single stage red - non-metallic - so after a good wash, clay, M105/M205, M07 glaze, than M21 sealant (maybe also topped by M26) it's should really shine.

Single stage red paints are so much fun to work on and that above combo should get you a good tip when you're done.

:xyxthumbs:

BarryK
09-01-2009, 11:19 AM
Single stage red paints are so much fun to work on and that above combo should get you a good tip when you're done.

:xyxthumbs:

Mike, with my experience with classic cars and single stage paint, I so much prefer the looks of really good single stage paint job of lacquer (the older original style lacquer with the lead in it, not the newer reformulated crap they pass of as lacquer after they removed the lead) or enamel over a modern 2-stage base/clear paint job, especially when it's a solid, non-metallic color.
The depth and shine you can get out of those types of paint is incredible and maybe it's just me but i just don't get the "WOW!!!" factory out of most base/clear paint jobs.

Even my own '65 vette. When i had it repainted back in '04 we stripped off a much older lacquer paint job (there were about 6 layers of various colors and different paint jobs we striped away) and repainted it with B/C and i've semi-regretted it ever since. It looks really good but just doesn't have the depth I like.
Only reason i went with B/C was convenience and factoring in future repairs and maintenance. Since the factory color is a metallic I couldn't go with enamel and the current lacquer paints are just horrible. sigh...

I am hoping you are right though and when i'm done with this Porsche the difference should be significant and it should really "pop" with that red.
i just wish that front nose wasn't so peppered with road rash as that's what's going to kill the overall presentation the most.

With the quote on the job i'll be happy just to get the job an won't worry about any tip. with all the paint corrections it needs I quoted him approx 8-15 hours just on the paint at $65/hr, another $70 for the interior detail, than I still have the time on the clock to charge to do the rims, engine bay, etc.
By the time i'm done and even with a discount I offer all new customers (10% off all services for a new first-time customer) it should be almost a $700 detail job.
The car definitely needs the work and time put into it though

SRHTX
09-01-2009, 12:48 PM
With the quote on the job i'll be happy just to get the job an won't worry about any tip. with all the paint corrections it needs I quoted him approx 8-15 hours just on the paint at $65/hr, another $70 for the interior detail, than I still have the time on the clock to charge to do the rims, engine bay, etc.
By the time i'm done and even with a discount I offer all new customers (10% off all services for a new first-time customer) it should be almost a $700 detail job.
The car definitely needs the work and time put into it though

I charge people $25/hour for the interior work. Now, with the Aztex coming, I will charge $75 just to use it in the interior carpets. Still working on the rates though.

Stephen