PDA

View Full Version : Wax On Top Of Wax Question.

samhwheel
08-31-2009, 11:14 PM
i have a 2010 mustang kona blue, sort of a metalic blue. i put a coat of wolfgang paint sealant 3.0 on and than put a cheap wax on top of that. i bought the p21 s paste wax, my question is do i need to take the cheap wax off first and if so how do i get the old wax off? and will it take the sealant off to?

thank you.

Rsurfer
08-31-2009, 11:17 PM
Anything you use to remove the wax will remove the sealant. What did you not like about P21? Fuzion should look good over 3.0 on a metalic blue paint.

belcherm58
09-01-2009, 12:14 AM
Anything you use to remove the wax will remove the sealant. What did you not like about P21? Fuzion should look good over 3.0 on a metalic blue paint.

I think he wants to remove the " Cheap " wax before putting the P21 on. You can do an Isopropyl alcohol rub down to remove the wax. Yes, It will also remove the sealant. I would
do the alcohol rub down and put a new coat of the Wolfgang
Sealant back on and then top with the P21.
You could go on and put the P21 on top of what you have.
What kind of wax are you calling cheap wax? Is there something that the cheap wax did to dissatisfy you? Like
streaking, cloudiness or such?

Rsurfer
09-01-2009, 12:49 AM
I think he wants to remove the " Cheap " wax before putting the P21 on. You can do an Isopropyl alcohol rub down to remove the wax. Yes, It will also remove the sealant. I would
do the alcohol rub down and put a new coat of the Wolfgang
Sealant back on and then top with the P21.
You could go on and put the P21 on top of what you have.
What kind of wax are you calling cheap wax? Is there something that the cheap wax did to dissatisfy you? Like
streaking, cloudiness or such?My bad, read the op post again and it does seem that he want's to put the P21 on. I was LOL when reading your post cause I never heard it being called a rub down. :laughing: It is a rubbing alcohol so technically you are giving the paint a rub down. :xyxthumbs:

belcherm58
09-01-2009, 01:21 AM
My bad, read the op post again and it does seem that he want's to put the P21 on. I was LOL when reading your post cause I never heard it being called a rub down. :laughing: It is a rubbing alcohol so technically you are giving the paint a rub down. :xyxthumbs:

Heck, You know it's a love rub as much as we do it. lol Could not think of wipe down when I was writing it.

Mike Phillips
09-01-2009, 06:10 AM
Moved out of the "Introduce Yourself" forum and into Detailing 101

:laughing:

Mike Phillips
09-01-2009, 06:14 AM
i have a 2010 mustang kona blue, sort of a metalic blue. i put a coat of wolfgang paint sealant 3.0 on and than put a cheap wax on top of that. i bought the p21 s paste wax, my question is do i need to take the cheap wax off first and if so how do i get the old wax off? and will it take the sealant off to?

thank you.

The only way to do this right is to strip the paint back down to a fresh base, the best way to do that would be to clean the paint with a light paint cleaner or a light cleaner/polish or even a cleaner wax. All three of these will effectively remove everything already on the paint so you can start over.

P21S has no cleaning ability in and of itself so it's not going to 'effectively' remove anything, just coat over it.

Washing with a detergent wash might remove most or all of the cheap wax but that's generally considered working backwards.

Do you have any light polishes, cleaner/polish or paint cleaners? In other words, a dedicated product for cleaning the surface of the paint without leaving wax behind.

:)

samhwheel
09-01-2009, 07:17 AM
No I Will Need To Get A Light Paint Cleaner And Start Over. I Will Do Just As You Said. I Will Give It Another Coat Of Sealant And Than Put The P21S Wax Back On. I Wanted To Try The P21S Wax To See If I Could Get A Better Shine. I Have Meguiars Gold Class Paste Wax On There Now.

Thank You.

Streetlife
09-01-2009, 11:46 AM
Trust me, the P21S is better. My first wax that i ever used was Meg Gold Class ( the only wax i've lost) , since discovering detailing i haven't looked back on waxes. I only purchase the best of the cheap LSP's (there's a thread in this forum that's titled "The best of the cheap LSP's that can help you out, very informative) and the high end boutique waxes. The durability on Meg Gold Class is the lowest i've seen of any Paste wax, plus you want a carnauba paste wax, the old tin i used that i lost about 12 years ago didn't have carnauba in it, not sure if there's a new improved version of Meg Gold Class.:dblthumb2:

ryandamartini
09-01-2009, 12:28 PM
Trust me, the P21S is better. My first wax that i ever used was Meg Gold Class ( the only wax i've lost) , since discovering detailing i haven't looked back on waxes. I only purchase the best of the cheap LSP's (there's a thread in this forum that's titled "The best of the cheap LSP's that can help you out, very informative) and the high end boutique waxes. The durability on Meg Gold Class is the lowest i've seen of any Paste wax, plus you want a carnauba paste wax, the old tin i used that i lost about 12 years ago didn't have carnauba in it, not sure if there's a new improved version of Meg Gold Class.:dblthumb2:

I feel ya. I use DP MaxWax on most of my cars. Got it for $20 on sale and the customers are thrilled every time I use it. Only cheap thing about it is the price!

@OP: PIcs of the car when done :D Looks like Mike took care of ya!

ScottB
09-01-2009, 05:05 PM
I would strip it all to see the real look of P21S. You can always try the topper (Wolfgang/P21S) combo later.

samhwheel
09-02-2009, 08:42 PM
Will Washing It With Dawn Take Off The Sealer And Wax? I Hate To Use Any Cleaner On The Paint. I Think I,m Going To Do Like You Said And Just Try The P21S Wax By It,s Self To See What It Looks Like. Thank,s For The Idea.

Sam.