PDA

View Full Version : Short Questions

Jossy92
08-31-2009, 11:07 AM
Hope Mike has someone summarize the longer posts before he is discovered and buried in paperwork.

Takes a lot of time for me to figure out long questions. Must be even harder to draft replies. Over the past year, I have always appreciated Mike's picking the right questions to answer: quality versus quantity.

That said, How do you detail a car?

Just kidding

Mike Phillips
08-31-2009, 11:39 AM
Hope Mike has someone summarize the longer posts before he is discovered and buried in paperwork.

Takes a lot of time for me to figure out long questions. Must be even harder to draft replies. Over the past year, I have always appreciated Mike's picking the right questions to answer: quality versus quantity.

That said, How do you detail a car?

Just kidding

I've had people e-mail me, list the 4-5 cars they own, include all the specifics about the car and then ask for a written guide for each car.

Now if that were posted to a forum I would probably answer it after first asking them to post a dedicated thread for each car, but for one set of eyeballs in an e-mail...

Next....

:laughing:

Mike Phillips
08-31-2009, 11:50 AM
Just to note, here's 2 new articles in the Introduce Yourself forum and the purpose of them is simply to help people help themselves.

Limit your message to just 3-4 questions (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/introduce-yourself/20309-limit-your-message-just-3-4-questions.html)

How to write a good Title for your post (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/introduce-yourself/20306-how-write-good-title-your-post.html)

As well as this one,

Post your intro thread here but post topical question in the related forum group (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/introduce-yourself/20177-post-your-intro-thread-here-but-post-topical-question-related-forum-group.html)

It's a common mistake for someone to join a forum, start a thread to introduce themselves in the "Introduce Yourself" forum and then after saying, "Hi I'm Jim", then they start adding questions about how to buff out their Ford Taurus.

It's a harmless mistake, but it defeats the purpose of all the other topical forum groups. Again, it's not earth shaking mistake but I've found over the years it better to correctly guide a new member as to proper protocol and netiquette for posting questions on this forum and this will help them on all the forums they post to the rest of their lives.

About 7 years ago I wrote a report that stated in the future, knowing how to work or interact on a discussion forum will be a job requirement and while I haven't seen that materialize I have recently see discussion where knowing how to Tweet will be requirement at least for some jobs.

It's just about helping people to help themesleves... and if you don't know something then sometimes it's nice if someone brings you up to speed.

Kind of like exercising with gym equipment, you're body will react better when you use the right weight with proper technique then it will if you use too much weight and poor or no technique. But until someone shows you proper technique you're left to your own devices.

:)

Jossy92
08-31-2009, 01:01 PM
I think I will just post to the general forum, then to "Ask-the-experts", etc. Then.........

Mike Phillips
08-31-2009, 01:03 PM
I think I will just post to the general forum, then to "Ask-the-experts", etc. Then.........

Either place is good, format is alway going to be the same.

:props:

Jossy92
09-01-2009, 07:42 AM
I feel stupid, my aging eyeballs somehow confused and combined a good question with a good answer and assumed they were one long question.

Once the eyes go, the only thing I have left to look forward to is loss of bowel control.

How about we delete this thread?