PDA

View Full Version : Options for Polishing 2 cars with 105/205

PTMathMan
08-31-2009, 12:45 AM
1) I've promised my dad that I would help him polish his Mustang when it cools down here in AZ. I currently have the the Megs 105/205 combo and a few different pads to go on the PC 7424.

What's the best pad combo for these polishes on the previous generation Ford Mustang? I have no idea how hard or soft the clear coat may be. We'll definitely do a test area to see what's working, but I was hoping for a heads-up to help us narrow down the possibilities.

It's a weekend driver and is kept clean and in the garage, so there are no major defects. Might not even need the 105 except for specific areas that require it.

2) After we take care of the Mustang, we'll have a go at my 2006 Honda Civic in white. I think I've read that Honda paint is soft in general. The paint will need more correction than the Ford due to a bit of swirling/scratches/hazing. Would you use a different/less aggressive pad combo? What exactly?

Thanks in advance -

Mike Phillips
08-31-2009, 08:38 AM
With the M105 you can use either a polishing pad or a cutting pad just be sure to do your test spot and inspect the results.

Cutting pads are great because their aggressive nature but not all paint systems react the same way, some will polish out great with anything while others will be more prone to micro-marring, so that's why it's important to do a little testing to one small area first and see what kind of results you're getting and if the results are looking great then move forward, if they're not then try a different pad or a different chemical or both.

So maybe try the M105 with a polishing pad first to one section and then inspect the results, if it looks good or even great, then re-polish this section with the M205 and a new/dedicated pad for the M205 and then inspect the results.

The idea being that with each step you should be refining your results and hopefully this will show up with a more clear, more glossy surface. Once you reach this level then your choice of wax or paint sealant will be like frosting on a cake.

Cake is good, but frosting makes it even better.

Use the M105 on the 5.0 Speed Setting and make sure your pad is rotating for the defect removal step. Do the same with the M205 but for your last few section passes with the M205 bring your pressure up a little bit and you can move the polisher at a little faster clip.

You don't have to tape off a perfect square when you do a test spot, but placing one strip of painters tape down a section and then only buffing on one side will really enable your eyes to see a difference in the before and after results as there will be a clear demarcation line that separates the results.

Also, always keep in mind how the car will be used and taken care of after the job. If it's going to be run through a brush type car wash then maybe just use a cleaner/wax on it instead of doing a multi-step, show car buff-out.

If it is going to be washed carefully and pampered then give it your best effort and remember to start early, use good technique and in everything you do work clean.

:)