PDA

View Full Version : Griots Garage ROP vs PC 7424XP

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

mchess1
08-30-2009, 03:37 PM
Griots Garage ROP vs PC 7424XP (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/20316-griots-garage-rop-vs-pc-7424xp.html)

Well, after many weekends of having really sore shoulders and arms from hand polishing I believe have finally been broken.

Reading Mike's recent post on hand vs Random time frames, I am ready to purchase a machine to help out.

So here's the question, the Griots vs PC argument breaks down to raw stats as in amps (7 to 4.5) and wattage (850 to 500). Anyone have any real world experience with the two to substantiate the large difference on paper?

The movable handle on the Griots looks much more user friendly as well.

Have always heard great things about the PC, but those numbers are hard to ignore.
Feed back please

Buckskincolt
08-30-2009, 05:21 PM
Well, after many weekends of having really sore shoulders and arms from hand polishing I believe have finally been broken.

Reading Mike's recent post on hand vs Random time frames, I am ready to purchase a machine to help out.

So here's the question, the Griots vs PC argument breaks down to raw stats as in amps (7 to 4.5) and wattage (850 to 500). Anyone have any real world experience with the two to substantiate the large difference on paper?

The movable handle on the Griots looks much more user friendly as well.

Have always heard great things about the PC, but those numbers are hard to ignore.
Feed back please

I have the new Griot's, (keep in mind I'm a total noob) but so far I have been impressed. One thing that was a drawback to the old version was it would not accept other size backing plates from other manufactures, that has been fixed I know I bought a 3.5" LC backing plate for a PC and tried it, it fit perfect.

The power seems to be great, it spins 6.5" pads with out any trouble or bogging down. Even after the pad gets loaded with product it still handles it great. RPMS are extremely adjustable in 1/2 number increments ie: 2, 2.5, 3, 3.5 and on from 1 to 6.

I like the loop handle but it can get in the way in tight areas. This handle does not adjust with a snap but you need to loosen Allen screws to adjust it's position. I use the loop handle to hang it by when I'm working on a ladder so that's a plus.

Weight and balance seems good to me. one thing I do not like is the power switch is on the side, it can be difficult to find some times and is easy to bump and turn off at times. The PC's is on top, a better place IMO.

All I have this to compare to is the old PC and that use is very limited. I have never ran an XP.

All in all I think the NEW Griot's is under rated and is still living with the reputation of the old model that was, (from what I have read) under powered and was not compatible with aftermarket backing plates. I would not hesitate to purchase another Griot's, I think the drawbacks to the old model have been addressed. It would be great to see a side by side, my money would be on the Griot's to come out on top.:buffing:

ryandamartini
08-30-2009, 06:08 PM
If you are going to be doing this professionally and not just on your own cars, I think the FLEX 3401 is a better option for you.

BlackSunshine01
08-30-2009, 08:10 PM
this is the same decision i am trying to make. griots vs pc xp.

VISITOR
08-30-2009, 11:11 PM
this is the same decision i am trying to make. griots vs pc xp.

get the PC7424XP, you can't go wrong with anything made by porter cable and they've been tried & true for many many years...

Lasthope05
08-30-2009, 11:35 PM
I'd go for the Griots for three reasons. More amperage=more power/torque, backing plate and Lifetime warranty. None of which is offered by the PCXP.

BlackSunshine01
08-30-2009, 11:40 PM
get the PC7424XP, you can't go wrong with anything made by porter cable and they've been tried & true for many many years...

very true

I'd go for the Griots for three reasons. More amperage=more power/torque, backing plate and Lifetime warranty. None of which is offered by the PCXP.

this is a big reason for my delima

VISITOR
08-31-2009, 12:49 AM

while on paper it has more "amperage/power", i would not buy one (nothing against Griot's, just would rather be safe than sorry) until someone does a thorough/side by side comparison with the PC7424XP. years ago, joe from superiorshine did a side by side test with the older Griots D/A (was suppose to have more power than the 7424 at the time) vs. PC7424, and he ended up returning the Griots. "if" Griots has outdone themselves and indeed upgraded the new D/A to be better than the 7424XP, my hat is off to them...

I think I like it !! - Car Care Forums: Meguiar's Online (http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10915)

2003 GMC Denali
08-31-2009, 02:55 AM
I too, look forward to a side-by-side test of these 2 Machines.

While the PC 7424-XP might be the industry standard, this doesn't mean that it's the best in it's class.

The Flex always comes up as being the best, yadda, yadda, blah, blah, blah... but it's more than double the price, too.

belcherm58
08-31-2009, 03:07 AM
You can have the PC 7424-XP and a Makita 9223C for the price of the
Flex. Just a little food for thought.

RTexasF
08-31-2009, 05:56 AM
Sounds like a potential comparison article for Mr. Phillips to take on, eh?

mchess1
08-31-2009, 06:51 AM
That's kind of why I started the thread in his forum. His new write ups have been fantastic (check them out if you haven't perused them) and I thought he would do a H2H fairly.

Plus he has used the Megs Random in one of the write-ups so I know he doesn't use just one brand.

I have read many posts and everyone raves about the Flex, but again it is more then double the price of both of the others. I am not going to do it professionally, just my BMW and wife's Odyssey.

I am not opposed to any of them (I would buy the Flex based on recommendations, but I have a hard time shelling out for the cheaper ones once you add on pads, pad cleaner, etc) but can't just let the PC stand on it's reputation as the best for the beginner.

Thanks to everyone for the two cents so far, it seems like I am not the only one having this internal debate.

Mike Phillips
08-31-2009, 07:32 AM
I think I like it !! - Car Care Forums: Meguiar's Online (http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10915)

Just to note, the time stamp for Joe's review is over 3.5 years ago

Feb 3rd, 2006, 06:53 PM

And I'm pretty sure the tool Griot's is selling now is different than the one they were selling when Joe reviewed it.

:)

MisterShark
08-31-2009, 08:12 AM
I plan on picking a machine up eventually and am solidly in Porter-Cable's camp, having had nothing but great experiences with all of my PC power tools (and I do have quite a few) except for a minor issue with my circular saw which PC's customer service addressed efficiently and satisfactorily.

Being as I'm new to auto detailing and will not be making a career/side-career out of it, I'll be happy to go with the random orbit of the PC since it's safer for beginners and also since I have no need to be a speed demon with only 2 cars to ever attend to at any given time.

This said though, I'd still like to see someone give a true and fair comparison analysis on all 3 of the popular random orbit machines: Meguiar's, Porter-Cable's and Griot's.

And I'll throw one little suggestion into consideration for the person who decides to conduct the side-by-side comparison review (if a person does indeed step to the plate): if possible, don't forget reliability/dependability. One of Porter-Cable's product strengths is their enduring reliability. With products such as their drills, polisher's etc,.. their 100% ball bearing construction provides for a long, durable product life.

Buckskincolt
08-31-2009, 09:19 AM
I plan on picking a machine up eventually and am solidly in Porter-Cable's camp, having had nothing but great experiences with all of my PC power tools (and I do have quite a few) except for a minor issue with my circular saw which PC's customer service addressed efficiently and satisfactorily.

Being as I'm new to auto detailing and will not be making a career/side-career out of it, I'll be happy to go with the random orbit of the PC since it's safer for beginners and also since I have no need to be a speed demon with only 2 cars to ever attend to at any given time.

This said though, I'd still like to see someone give a true and fair comparison analysis on all 3 of the popular random orbit machines: Meguiar's, Porter-Cable's and Griot's.

And I'll throw one little suggestion into consideration for the person who decides to conduct the side-by-side comparison review (if a person does indeed step to the plate): if possible, don't forget reliability/dependability. One of Porter-Cable's product strengths is their enduring reliability. With products such as their drills, polisher's etc,.. their 100% ball bearing construction provides for a long, durable product life.

I guess you can base your opinion on a Ford VS. Chevy thing or you can look at the facts, specs, and performance. I think the Griot's Warranty speaks loudly of their quality commitment. The name means nothing to me, it's more about what's in the package IMHO. While I'm sure the XP/PC is an awesome machine, I stand by my statement that the Griot's is way under rated. IMO you will get a great product in either one....:buffing: