PDA

View Full Version : considering a PC

Kelso
03-29-2006, 11:09 PM
well i work with a guy who also works at lowes. he said he could hook me up with the 10 percent discount on a PC but then i started thinking, thats only about 10 bucks off. and id have to get pads and everything else. i was thinkin....when you take away the value of the pads and waxes and stuff in all the autogeek combo's or whatever you wanna call them, how much does the porter cable actually cost. what is the best kit to get? and the 10% discount code does not apply to PC's right?

Neothin
03-29-2006, 11:19 PM
ive found taht i could usually get more items for the same price if i didn't buy a kit. with the discount @ lowe's, 100 bucks for the machine, and then that gives roughly another 50 bucks to play with online for pads and backing plates. that's more than enough to get a good asortment.

ScottB
03-30-2006, 07:07 AM
The discount does NOT apply to PC's and other buffers unfortunately, but you can do it on all accessories. With most pads costing around 9.00 each and a flexible backing plate costing 15-20, I think some of the kits offered are really not the far off considering everything is in one box and arrives at the same time. Lowes pricing for the 7336 and a 10% off discount is not something overlook however. The point is .... get it one way or another, and get some pads.

http://www.autogeek.net/vcpad.html

Kelso
03-30-2006, 06:19 PM
not sure when i will, but i probably will. im just having a hard time justifying the cost. what is the benefit of the PC? when your spending 100-200 bucks on polishing stuff i just have to wonder why can't i do it by hand? nobody ever really has provided a solid reason to buy the pc. all i hear is buy it buy it buyt it....thats a big investment there

ScottB
03-30-2006, 06:29 PM
not sure when i will, but i probably will. im just having a hard time justifying the cost. what is the benefit of the PC? when your spending 100-200 bucks on polishing stuff i just have to wonder why can't i do it by hand? nobody ever really has provided a solid reason to buy the pc. all i hear is buy it buy it buyt it....thats a big investment there

simple actually , you will never be able to replicate by hand what you have done with a PC. You will understand after the first time of use ... but nobody can force you to take the leap.

joe.p
03-30-2006, 06:35 PM
I know it is tough sometimes to come off the money but, you can get what you need and then detail some cars to cusion the blow. I have to warn you this is the beginning of an addiction and it won't stop with the PC..

Kelso
03-30-2006, 06:54 PM
oh the addiction is long in me. i detail cars at work and i plan on building my own detailing business within a year cause im about to graduate and its something im quite good at, inside and out.

i just thought of some more questions. we have this kinda old orbital polisher buffer in the garage with a 10 inch styrefoam pad and bonnets. it gives instructions on how to remove the pad thing but will the backing plates on line fit this or are they only PC compatible? or where could i find 10 inch stuff? all i read about is 5 to 6 inch stuff

ScottB
03-30-2006, 07:12 PM
http://us.st11.yimg.com/store1.yimg.com/I/cvfsupplyco-store_1888_5859229

Look something like this ?? It will never produce the speed of the PC and the pads and backing plates will not fit. You might be able to find some of the bonnets at Walmart.

Neothin
03-30-2006, 07:31 PM
think of it this way... you learned the "wax on, wax off" circle method of applying products long ago. how many times do u think you can make that motion in a minute? 100, maybe? and youre not going to sustain that pace for very long. The PC makes hundreds, even thousands of these motions per minute. This is what makes the PC FAR more effective than by hand.

Kelso
03-30-2006, 08:23 PM
yea the buffer looks very simlar to that. i rarely use it though. it would be easier to buy the pc if i didnt have these bills now lol

cummins03
04-02-2006, 09:39 PM
If you are going to do cars in bad shape (oxidation, bird dropping etching, etc.) the machine will pay for itself by saving your back, arms, and most important time.

Matt
04-03-2006, 08:23 AM
Go for it....there's no way you will be able to work quickly and efficiently by hand when trying to remove defects, swirls, and oxidation.

FLMike
04-03-2006, 08:49 AM
It sucks and blows at the same time, mine has NO torque...appying even the slightest pressure stops the motor. I ordered a PC last week, I'm expecting it to have tons more oomph....

Kelso
04-03-2006, 06:32 PM
ive been thinking and if i can have access to an air tank, ill get a pnuematic one but if i have to buy a tank, ill get the pc. pnuematic orbitals are very light, extremely durable, and very easy to use and handle. we use them at work but if i start my own business it will likely be mobile detailing. where i work now, we have a 6 bay shop and a massive air tank out back with lines going to all bays. i can always gets electricity for a PC, but for those pnuematic orbitals, id need to also buy an air tank.not cool

BritOn2wheels
04-04-2006, 01:45 PM
I purchased the PC7424 last month when this forum was launched (used the new member discount to get 15% off), mine was the Pinnacle twins special with ASR and AFP. Can honestly tell you it was the best investment I've ever made in the detailing line. Results on my 01 Dodge are outstanding. I've had this vehicle from new and have always been meticulous about its care, but alas after five years it was showing the usual swirl marks and wear and tear associated with its age. The PC has it gleaming like a new pin once again. I will warn you that the purchase of the PC will be just the start......Next comes a selection of pads, backing plates, polishing bonnets etc etc.....;)