PDA

View Full Version : Teflon Coating and Polishing

coondog64
09-19-2006, 11:18 AM
Well now that I have the bug, my dad has been bite too. But he is concered that the teflon coating that the dealership put on his truck may be ruined by polishing.

Anyone have any experience in this? I know you can wax the teflon, but what about polishing and sealing?

3Dog
09-19-2006, 11:24 AM
The car does not have teflon coating...they may have use some wax/sealant the says it has teflon in it but that is a joke.
I watched a program on TV about teflon coating on cookware. I dont remember the exact temp that the metals had to be heated for teflon to stick but it was great enough that it would burn any paint off the car.
Dupont ,at one time, even stated on their website that teflon type car care products were useless.

BILL
09-19-2006, 11:27 AM
The car does not have teflon coating...they may have use some wax/sealant the says it has teflon in it but that is a joke.
I watched a program on TV about teflon coating on cookware. I dont remember the exact temp that the metals had to be heated for teflon to stick but it was great enough that it would burn any paint off the car.
Dupont ,at one time, even stated on their website that teflon type car care products were useless.

I agree........sales gimmick......;)

FloridaNative
09-19-2006, 11:56 AM
It has to be heated 250-320 degrees depending on which type of coating is used. There is no way that a dealership is going to fire up the cars to that temperature in order to apply a teflon coating. It's a sham.

coondog64
09-19-2006, 12:00 PM
That's what I have been trying to tell him. I hate how they try to sell you all that crap like simonizing. Its so not worth the price, and if people would simply take some time to care for their vehicle there would be no need for such 'extras'.

Alright I will try to convince him again ( and get him to participate in the moving sale! ).

Thanks for the facts about the temperature!

FloridaNative
09-19-2006, 12:04 PM
That's what I have been trying to tell him. I hate how they try to sell you all that crap like simonizing. Its so not worth the price, and if people would simply take some time to care for their vehicle there would be no need for such 'extras'.

Alright I will try to convince him again ( and get him to participate in the moving sale! ).

Thanks for the facts about the temperature!

When I bought my car the sales person at the dealership was trying to sell me their protection package which was basically a paint sealant and scotchguard for the interior for $470.00!! I just smiled and nodded and said, "no thanks. I'll take care of it myself" :p

supercharged
09-19-2006, 01:01 PM
When I bought my car the sales person at the dealership was trying to sell me their protection package which was basically a paint sealant and scotchguard for the interior for $470.00!! I just smiled and nodded and said, "no thanks. I'll take care of it myself" :p
Same here. A dealer offered me a package for $700. This how many products you can get form AG for $700. i told him that I am a detailer myselft, so no thanks.

Surfer
09-19-2006, 02:05 PM
Call up a Sports/Exotic car dealer and ask how much their "paint treament" cost, you'll laugh. Kinda like Ferrari charging 2K for purchase and install of a K40 radar setup:rolleyes:.

ScottB
09-19-2006, 05:41 PM
polishing his paint will remove any paint sealant (professional or boutique) used on the paint. That said, if on the car for more than six months its likely toast anyways. The environment and UV likely took its toll.

You see the real gimmic is the fact that even improperly protected clearcoat paint should last 4-5 years before failure. The dealers use this to their benefit. You'd be lucky if they really actually added the paint sealant to begin with. So next time ... get him some Wolfgang and have him use the $$ he saved for his next set of tires.