PDA

View Full Version : Best OTC exhaust tip polisher?

murdock
08-28-2009, 10:26 AM
Hey guys, the exhaust tips on my car are covered in black soot. They are supposed to be stainless steel. I have some old metal polish stuff, but its so old, I can't make out the label anymore so I have no idea what it is, or if it's any good. I just received my first AG order this week and forgot about the tips for my detail tonight so I would like a recommendation on something I can pick up at a local store. Any ideas? Thanks guys.

Feed back please

dublifecrisis
08-28-2009, 10:54 AM
Steel Wool#0000 with Flitz Metal Polish. Steel wool at wally world and Flitz available at most marine shops.

Finemess
08-28-2009, 10:54 AM
Nevr-Dull works great on mine.

Jimmie
08-28-2009, 11:07 AM
P21S Polishing Soap. Here's a link.... P21S Polishing Soap - State-of-the-art German metal-polishing technology is now available from P21S. (http://www.autogeek.net/p153.html)

Since it's aluminum you're working the Duragloss Metal Brightener isn't bad for a spray and rinse.

loco
08-28-2009, 11:30 AM
+1 for Nevr Dull. Great stuff!

Deep Gloss Auto Salon
08-28-2009, 11:39 AM
For OTC Never Dull or Blue Magic works great!!

murdock
08-28-2009, 12:34 PM
:xyxthumbs:

thanks for the awesomely quick replies guys. i will be looking to see which of the products recommended is easiest to find for me near home.

now if only the sun would shine tomorrow so that my wax job really shows....

ScottB
08-28-2009, 08:23 PM
quad zero steel wool ... local walmart carries it in paint section.

SRHTX
08-28-2009, 08:55 PM
Nevr-Dull works great on mine.

:iagree:

murdock
08-29-2009, 08:18 AM
ended up getting some nevr-dull because they had it in stock. thanks for the replies. i spent several hours last night and ended up finishing not quite satisfied because the wax that came with the kit i received seemed hard to work with. I got the P21S 100% carnauba wax and it seemed like i could not get ANY of it on the applicator. if i tried to rotate the foam pad on the wax in the tub, the actual wax would rotate within the tub. I ended up with more flakes than anything. I dont know if I'm explaining this very well, but it was pretty frustrating. I didnt want to start another thread for just this, but do you guys have any clue what I have going on here?

BlackSunshine01
08-29-2009, 04:17 PM
i see what your saying. the wax is just spinning in the can, maybee if you try taking a swipe with the pad instead of a spinning motion?

murdock
08-29-2009, 04:33 PM
yeah i tried the swiping, it was just that the can didnt allow for much of that. i did manage to get a very light coat on the hood though. i will have to figure something out for this problem.

Steven C
08-29-2009, 07:23 PM
Try using a cheap plastic putty knife spread on your pad. And if you are still fighting with the Exhaust tip try scotch brite green pad & some ajax powder. Soak pad put a little ajax on it lightly scrub then rinse then dry use metal poilsh Flitz the ajax takes off almost everything then then you rubbing for hours. I use it on my work truck chrome exhaust they bugs,suut , taking every thing of without scrachting the chrome . Stainless steel is harder so it will work fine .I've use the process on magnaflow exhaust tip for 1 year.

murdock
08-30-2009, 04:29 PM
thanks for the tip on the scotch pad. i thought about using a hard wire brush i had in the garage but that might be too hard and scratch it up. the nevr dull did wonders though. did take off about 90% of the soot.

anyone have any trouble like i have with the p21s wax? this is my first paste wax usage and it was just flaking off. i feel that if i use a knife to try to spread some on the pad, it would just flake off instead of actually staying on the pad.