PDA

View Full Version : What do I use?

leoejr
08-27-2009, 01:47 AM
Hi All.
I had a shop do a wrap on my Spyder and the guy did not know what he was doing. Long story short he used a can of clear coat to spray over the warp and screwed everything up. I have been able to remove the warp but don't know how to get the over spray off. this has been 2 months ago. is there anything a newbi can use to remove clear coat with out trashing my paint.
thank for any help.
leoejr Feed back please

Mike Phillips
08-27-2009, 07:46 PM
Since this is your first post,

Welcome to Autogeek Online! :welcome:

Have you tried detailing clay?

Tips and Tricks for using detailing clay (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/20259-tips-techniques-using-detailing-clay.html)
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/723/detail-68.jpg

That would be the first thing to try that's safe.

When you say Spyder, my mind thinks of this, the Can-Am Spyder (I want one really bad)
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/715/medium/CanAmSpyder.jpg

There's a number of cars that use the Spyder name, which one are you working on?

2 months ago huh? Is there anyway to make this company liable for the damage?

If it's spray can paint then claying should take it off, you might have to use some aggressive clay to do it, otherwise we'll have to find a solvent that's safe for your paint.

I've never tried this but it's supposed to work on spray can paint.

Motsenbocker's LIFT OFF 4

http://www.liftoffinc.com/images/wizard.gif MOTSENBOCKER'S LIFT OFF 4 (http://www.liftoffinc.com/product-graffiti-remover.php)

It's states it's primarily for Rattle Can Spray Paint. It was less than $8.00 so it wouldn't be to expensive to test out. Next to it were some other products for the same purpose but the Lowe's salesperson said they've tried them all for use in the Lowe's store and the Motsenbockers worked the best.

Here's what the website states about the product,

#4 Graffiti Remover

Mötsenböcker’s Lift Off® #4 Spray Paint Graffiti Remover is the only water–based, biodegradable and Green Cross Certified, by Scientific Certification Systems, graffiti remover in the world! It effectively removes all types of oil based paints, varnishes, lacquers and spray paints from all types of surfaces including: stucco, concrete, cars & trucks, brick, metal, plastic and more!
Features and Benefits

Spray Paint Graffiti Remover
Green Cross Certified
Low–VOC
Water–Based
Biodegradable
Safe for the Environment & User
Works On:

Oil–Based Paints • Varnishes • Lacquers • Spray Paints • Old & Fresh Paint • Acrylics • Primers • Enamels • Sealers • Aerosol Paint • Acrylic Enamels • Semi–Gloss • High–Gloss & More!
Safe On:

Hard, Soft, Porous Surfaces including: Stucco • Concrete • Cars & Trucks • Brick • Metal • Plastic • Street Signs • Utility Boxes • Tile • Vinyl • Plexiglas® • Aluminum • Stainless Steel • Fiberglass • Split Rock • Formica® • Slumpstone & More!

leoejr
08-27-2009, 10:13 PM
Hi Mike,
Thanks for the fast reply on my post. I really don’t have any recourse against the shop. They did fire the guy that messed up my Spyde. Yes it is a Can Am Spyder. It is just an awesome machine. It is so much fun to ride and extremely safe. I have had it 6 months and put over 11000 miles on it. It is a yellow one. I can’t wait to get it back to the way it looked before.
Should I try the Motsenblocker Lift Off 4 before trying the clay. I really thank you for the help.
Leo
:urtheman:

leoejr
08-28-2009, 12:30 AM
Hi Again Mike,
I just tried the Motsenblocker Lift Off 4 and I can't believe how good it is working. Of course it will take some elbow grease but it is working and not hurting the paint at all. thank you thank you. One last question. What would you recomend I use for a protective shine when I get done. I will be buying it from you store for sure.
Leo

Superdutytd
08-28-2009, 01:11 AM
Hi Mike,
Thanks for the fast reply on my post. I really don’t have any recourse against the shop. They did fire the guy that messed up my Spyde. Yes it is a Can Am Spyder. It is just an awesome machine. It is so much fun to ride and extremely safe. I have had it 6 months and put over 11000 miles on it. It is a yellow one. I can’t wait to get it back to the way it looked before.
Should I try the Motsenblocker Lift Off 4 before trying the clay. I really thank you for the help.
Leo
:urtheman:

Good to hear that stuff is working! I am going to get a bit off-topic and ask you what kind of mileage you get with the Spyder and can you use it on the highway? (cruise at 75?)

Mike Phillips
08-28-2009, 05:32 AM
Yes it is a Can Am Spyder. It is just an awesome machine. It is so much fun to ride and extremely safe.
I

You're killing me...

Bring that bad boy by Autogeek and let me take it for a spin...

:xyxthumbs:

Mike Phillips
08-29-2009, 09:21 AM
Hi Again Mike,
I just tried the Motsenblocker Lift Off 4 and I can't believe how good it is working. Of course it will take some elbow grease but it is working and not hurting the paint at all.

Good to hear, I'm sure this will help others in the future. We're going to upgrade the forum in a few weeks and at that time we're going to at "Popular Tags" and then we do cool things like tag this thread to help others find your positive experience and a solution to their problem.

One last question. What would you recommend I use for a protective shine when I get done. I will be buying it from you store for sure.
Leo

Any of our waxes and paint sealants work great, at this time I try not to make specific recommendations but instead let our forum members share their input.

One thing for sure, we offer great products, great customer support before, during and after the sale and this forum as a resource for information.

Can you post some pictures of your Spyder when you get it done? I can even help you to get them into your message as I've helped a lot of people in my life figure out these forum things...

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

TMD
08-29-2009, 12:55 PM
Saw a television show a month or so ago on the Discovery channel that's focus was on Canada, but they talked heavily towards the end of the show about the Spyder. What a machine!

Superdutytd
08-29-2009, 03:27 PM
DP max wax I've HEARD is one of the best bang for your buck waxes.