PDA

View Full Version : Black Bumper and Trim w/ White Wax Marks

Pages : [1] 2

SRHTX
08-26-2009, 09:25 AM
Okay, here is another twist to the black bumpers. How can you remove WAX that is on these bumpers and all other black rubber pads on the outside of a vehicle? Vehicles I've been working on have had people wax them before I got my hands on them. They never tape off things SOooooo, there are white wax marks on the rubber sections on the exterior of vehicles. I have the Duragloss Wax Eraser #481 and use it; however, the wax marks show up after the vehicles have been washed a few times.

Here is one vehicle that has the problem. An ' 08 MB GL550.

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r269/srhtx/Mercedes%20Benz/2008%20GL550/DriverSide02.jpg

Any assistance would be appreciated. Feed back please

Stephen

ryandamartini
08-26-2009, 10:01 AM
Is it vinyl? If so, APC and mini scrub brush? I cannot see it very well. The car is all black :p

SRHTX
08-26-2009, 10:26 AM
Is it vinyl? If so, APC and mini scrub brush? I cannot see it very well. The car is all black :p

Oh, it's not the side steps. It's that black rubber panels (whatever it's called...lol) right ABOVE the side steps. It's also on the front bumper, rear bumper and on the dash black stuff.

Buckskincolt
08-26-2009, 11:41 AM
The poorboy's trim restorer Poorboy's Trim Restorer: Touching up the trim with Poorboy’s Trim Restorer provides the final polishing step in your quest for the perfect finish. (http://www.autogeek.net/pbtr16.html) gets rid of it in a snap BUT, I have no clue for how long. Just tried it two days ago on a friends car that has wax on textured trim and it was gone, we will see for how long. I'm sure it's not "cleaned" off just covered up.:dunno:

SRHTX
08-26-2009, 12:30 PM
The poorboy's trim restorer Poorboy's Trim Restorer: Touching up the trim with Poorboy’s Trim Restorer provides the final polishing step in your quest for the perfect finish. (http://www.autogeek.net/pbtr16.html) gets rid of it in a snap BUT, I have no clue for how long. Just tried it two days ago on a friends car that has wax on textured trim and it was gone, we will see for how long. I'm sure it's not "cleaned" off just covered up.:dunno:

Correct. The two things I have used last about a month. After the month, or so, those marks come back. Yes. I have both items. PBs and Duragloss.

ScottB
08-26-2009, 05:22 PM
peanut butter ...

alowe
08-26-2009, 05:46 PM
peanut butter ...

This actually works. If textured, I apply and rub in lightly with a toothbrush. Word of warning, smooth works better then chunky!:hungry:

dschribs
08-26-2009, 07:57 PM
Trim restorer just covers it up...for awhile.

Use GR-40 Cleaner - then trim restorer.

eddie6th
08-26-2009, 08:04 PM
This has been on MOL plenty times.

The above mentioned peanut butter was discussed by Mike. It's the vegetable oil in it. So that would do the same.

Another person has told me that an old style eraser,the pink ones can remove this,but I havn't tried that yet.

I have tried the vegetable oil and it works. I havn't specifically tried it on rubber,but works on ABS plastics.

dschribs
08-26-2009, 08:13 PM
I tried the eraser - wanted it to work - because I paid like twenty five cents for it...but it didn't. I guess it all depends on what you're using it on.

Grab a bottle of GR-40. Just plain works...

nitro78
08-26-2009, 08:24 PM
peanut butter ...

and a microfiber. works very well however i am gonna try vegetable oil next time.

Buckskincolt
08-26-2009, 08:32 PM
Grab a bottle of GR-40. Just plain works...

OK GR-40? What does the GR stand for? I looked at the acronym thread...nothing....yup I'm a noob! So?:dunno:

dschribs
08-26-2009, 08:38 PM
Trim Cleaner (http://www.topoftheline.com/trim-cleaner.html)

loudog2
08-26-2009, 08:52 PM
Mr. clean magic eraser works well. Just rub lightly, don't pver due it.

Steven C
08-26-2009, 09:36 PM
Trim restorer by Car Systems. I use it on avalache cladding it rehydrates the plastic and puts a coating on that lasts months. Tape off well & do it on a dry day the product nds 24hrs to cure, recoat after ten minutes. wipedown to remove excess. cost about 40 bucks for can will last you years.I us it on all plastic trim work just did farring on 05 Jeep Rubicon 2 coats the and they look like new. LOL