PDA

View Full Version : Scratched the Mach

legandrex
08-25-2009, 10:50 PM
Here is the history of the paint on my torch red 04 Mach 1 Mustang. I purchased the car used with 5,000 miles on it three years ago and the car now has 10,000 miles. The paint was decent when I got it, but under parking lot lights noticed some clearcoat scratches. I ordered a Porter Cable from you guys and Pinnacle XMT #2, #1, Glaze, and P21 wax. I pretty much got the paint perfect but wanted more. My brother is a big fan of Zaino so I got some of there product but over the past several months I have difficulty with it smearing although the shine is good. Anyway last night I was ticked I was still getting smearing so I used their Zaio cleaner/polish all in one product and was adding quite a bit of pressure by hand to hopefully remove the smearing layers of Z2 Z5 and whatever else was on the paint...just my luck I noticed some lines developing...wiped it off and realized I just scratched the paint. I noticed a piece of super small grit on my cotton applicator(I have no idea how it got there because it was clean). I tried to correct the scratches with my XMT #2 and a orange pad. Got them better but still there. They are into the clearcoat but not to the red paint. Last night I ordered some Menzerna Super Intense Polish to try to get the scratches out. First of all is it ok to use for my application? Any tips on how to apply on my mustang which are different than general directions. Do you think I will need to follow up with XMT #2 or #1 afterwards?

On another note if I wanted to shelve my Zaino product and go with the Wolfgang sealer, at a minimum what do I need considering the XMT product I have?

Thanks in advance.

mikemurphy234
08-26-2009, 01:44 PM
Welcome to the forum Legandrex!

I own an Azure Blue 03 that I did a full paint correction on before applying Zaino.

First off I will try to try to address the polishing stage. I tried a few different polishes before settling on SIP. The key to getting a good finish with it is to make sure you work it long enough to ensure it is broken down completely. There should be a small amount of clear film that is left over and it should wipe off very easily. Make sure you do an IPA wipedown after polishing to make sure you removed all the swirls/scratches. For the finishing polish I chose PO85RD. I can't tell you what polish in the XMT line is comparable to it, sorry.

Now on to the Zaino. I had the same problems with it that you did. After a few p.m.'s, emails and a call to Sal it came down to the fact that I was putting it on too thick and spraying to much Z6 in between coats. Now just to clarify I was putting it on so thin that I couldn't tell if I was getting full coverage. To get rid of the sticky residue it took a couple washes, rubbing a little harder than I would have liked to, to get rid of it.
You should be able to do the car a minimum of 2 times with 1oz. of product. Now when you spray the Z6 you MUST not let it dry. I believe it is what was causing most of the sticky residue (It's not like a QD in regards to application). A very light spritz, wipe it over the section and flip the towel over to finish it off.
I needed to use alot of towels to get it right.
Once I figured it out I was very impressed with the product. It is so slick that the towel slides off the hood if I just set it there and the sheeting is amazing. I can dry the whole car with a small towel now. Remember with Zaino less is definitely more!

If you need any more help feel free to p.m. me. I'd be glad to help.

BlkTAWS6
08-26-2009, 09:42 PM
This chart might help ya a bit to get an understanding of how each of your chemicals cut/polish compared to one another.

Autogeek Swirl Removers & Compounds Comparison Chart (http://www.auto-geek.net/charts/wax-cut-chart-master.htm)

legandrex
08-27-2009, 12:08 AM
Thanks for the info...for the finishing polishing I am confident I can get it looking pretty good with either the XMT #2 or #1. With the SIP should I expect to get some micro marring with the mustang's finish?

Also, I kind of figured I had been putting the Zaino on too thick. I just did half the hood and the passenger side door and fender with very little product yesterday. I let it dry over night while it sat in the garage and it seemed to wipe off much better. It is difficult to tell if you are getting coverage when it is applied so thin but I know that is how the stuff works now. Regarding the Z-6, I have been using as a quick detailer. I don't drive the car in the rain so I don't like to wash it and deal with water spots under the hood etc. so I use a duster to remove the dust after driving it and then use Z-6 as a final dust remover. I never let it dry on the paint...spray as little as possible and wipe it off immediately. Are you saying the Z-6 shouldn't be used as a quick detailer? I thought it was intended for that. What quick detailer do you suggest that works with Zaino for what I described for my procedure?

the pictures are pre Zaino...P21s wax.

Thanks

mikemurphy234
08-27-2009, 06:04 AM
If you work the SIP long enough you can get a LSP ready finish with it. I like to jewel paint with PO85RD or Ultrafina after all polishing to get that extra gloss and depth.

My car has never seen rain either so I understand what your going thru trying to get it clean without washing. I have induced slight maring trying to keep it clean that way so now I just bite the bullet and wash it. I'd rather dry water in all the little places it likes to hide on these cars than polish it out over and over. Plus the car looked better after washing it.

As for the Z6, I only use it when applying the sealant after that it's Z8. I can say it's pretty hard to beat the look of either of those QD's or match their added layer of slickness. Lol, slickness, is that a word?

I use to use P21S also but it didn't last that long, even though it was on a garage kept car so I kind of put it on the back shelf.

If your not to far I'd be happy to send you some UF or 85 to use if you decide not to use the XMT.

Good luck and nice car! :xyxthumbs:

Don't mind the driveway. A new one is on the way, money permitting! Winter is hard on cement here.

legandrex
08-27-2009, 08:34 AM
If you work the SIP long enough you can get a LSP ready finish with it. I like to jewel paint with PO85RD or Ultrafina after all polishing to get that extra gloss and depth.

My car has never seen rain either so I understand what your going thru trying to get it clean without washing. I have induced slight maring trying to keep it clean that way so now I just bite the bullet and wash it. I'd rather dry water in all the little places it likes to hide on these cars than polish it out over and over. Plus the car looked better after washing it.

As for the Z6, I only use it when applying the sealant after that it's Z8. I can say it's pretty hard to beat the look of either of those QD's or match their added layer of slickness. Lol, slickness, is that a word?

I use to use P21S also but it didn't last that long, even though it was on a garage kept car so I kind of put it on the back shelf.

If your not to far I'd be happy to send you some UF or 85 to use if you decide not to use the XMT.

Good luck and nice car! :xyxthumbs:

Don't mind the driveway. A new one is on the way, money permitting! Winter is hard on cement here.

I like your car...I am a big fan of the Azure Blue too. My color and yours are my favorite colors on the car. What does LSP mean? I am a detail noobie. My mach is the first car I have done any serious work on. I have spent way more hours on it that I want to admit to my wife. Originally when I did all the paint correction I started with XMT #2 and an orange pad...It was aggressive enough to get out everything that was on it when I bought it. I did several finishing applications with the XMT #1 and a grey pad with no cut. In direct sunlight there were/are no clearcoat swirls at all so I am happy with the finished product. Since I have never used the SIP I am expecting to get some micro marring with the orange pad...is that correct to assume? In addition, is the SIP relatively foolproof or can I damage the paint beyond repair if I not careful enough with it. I ordered it because I think the scratches are bad enough to warrant the product. It is hard to describe the scratches in print but they are pretty bad...you can feel them with your finger nail. Thanks I just don't want to mess it up and make it worse than it already is.

Buckskincolt
08-27-2009, 11:01 AM
Don't take any of this as gospel because I'm a noob too! On the Scratch you might want to be very careful if you can catch a fingernail on it. Maybe send Mike Phillips a PM for some help and guidance on this. Remember to start with the least aggressive first so start with the SIP and a white pad. But I would not start at all until I was comfortable that it can be fixed without going through the clear.

You might want to consider a glaze like Poorboys black hole Poorboys Black Hole Show Glaze can be applied any time to hide minor imperfections and to enhance gloss on black, red, and all dark vehicles. (http://www.autogeek.net/poorboys-black-hole-show-glaze.html) or White diamond Poorboy’s World White Diamond Show Glaze for Light Vehicles cleans and hides fine swirls on light paints, silvers, pearls, and white. (http://www.autogeek.net/poorboys-white-diamond-show-glaze.html) as an option. I'm thinking this is what I would try being the noob I am and not wanting to make things worse. (I'm not even sure which one for you color of car:doh:) Probably the Black Hole.

As for the Zaino, I've had really good luck with it but I also put in on thin. I use 1.0 oz for a New Honda Pilot that has a lot more area than you stang. also are you using the ZFX flash cure additive? That really helps Z5 and Z2 set up hard. If you are not using it I'd try it I think you will like the results. I'm still looking for a product that will compare to Z5/Z2 here. I love this place and would like to find a replacement product line I can buy here that will shine as well and be as durable as the Z products.......Anyone?:)
As for the Z6 I love this stuff. I have never had any trouble with it and it dries slick and hard but again VERY thin light coats. My father in law had a similar problem with it kind of smearing on his black truck, I watched him apply it way to heavy. After that he went lighter but still too much so What I did was dilute it 75/25 with Distilled water (75% z6) and now he is a happy camper. Zaino even says it's OK to do this up to a 50/50 mix so you might play with that.

I'd get a some help with that scratch (post some pictures) before I started something I could not finish...my .02 cents and another noobs advice. Good luck and like I said, take this for what it's worth.....Not Much!:dunno: Oh, LSP means "last step product" add this to your bookmarks it helps a noob a lot! http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/expert/863-acronyms.html

legandrex
08-27-2009, 11:49 AM
With a Lake Country white pad and the porter cable 7424 can unfixable damage be done with Menzerna SIP if I use the product as directed? I am kind of a perfectionist with the car and although I don't want to get it repainted I would consider it over living with scratches if I do damage it beyond repair.

Regarding the glaze...I do have some XMT glaze that I could layer up I can't fix them completely. I should receive the SIP on Monday so I will keep everyone updated on my results.

What is weird is I have no problem with the Zaino product on either of our Subaru's. My 09 Legacy has Zaio on it and I use Z-8 all the time as my quick detailer. My wife's 06 Tribeca has Zaio on and looks pretty nice for 50,000 miles. I use the Z-8 on the Subaru's because it smears on the Mustang. Kind of expensive as a quick detailer but I figure I might as well use it up. I can lay it on thick on the Legacy and Tribeca an no problems. I know it isn't supposed to be used that way, but I think alot has to do with the paint difference between the cars.

Buckskincolt
08-27-2009, 12:16 PM
With a Lake Country white pad and the porter cable 7424 can unfixable damage be done with Menzerna SIP if I use the product as directed? I am kind of a perfectionist with the car and although I don't want to get it repainted I would consider it over living with scratches if I do damage it beyond repair.

Regarding the glaze...I do have some XMT glaze that I could layer up I can't fix them completely. I should receive the SIP on Monday so I will keep everyone updated on my results.

What is weird is I have no problem with the Zaino product on either of our Subaru's. My 09 Legacy has Zaio on it and I use Z-8 all the time as my quick detailer. My wife's 06 Tribeca has Zaio on and looks pretty nice for 50,000 miles. I use the Z-8 on the Subaru's because it smears on the Mustang. Kind of expensive as a quick detailer but I figure I might as well use it up. I can lay it on thick on the Legacy and Tribeca an no problems. I know it isn't supposed to be used that way, but I think alot has to do with the paint difference between the cars.

I'm thinking at some point something was put on your car Zaino products do not like. I think I would do a complete Dawn double wash, a IPA wipe down and start over. There should be no difference in the product from one paint to another as far a cure and slickness. I can see a look difference but a smearing thing NOT. Good Luck!

legandrex
08-27-2009, 12:40 PM

I'm thinking at some point something was put on your car Zaino products do not like. I think I would do a complete Dawn double wash, a IPA wipe down and start over. There should be no difference in the product from one paint to another as far a cure and slickness. I can see a look difference but a smearing thing NOT. Good Luck!

I did do one dawn wash and went from there. The bottom line is think I put it on too thick and never really got it buffed off completely nor did I probably allow it to dry long enough. When i applied it extremely lightly the other day it looked pretty good and in the sunlight I could tell it was all removed. It is a pretty finicky product to work with however.

legandrex
08-27-2009, 10:53 PM
I couldn't wait until Monday for my Mernzerna SIP to show up so I tried my neighbors Pinnacle Advanced Swirl Remover tonight. I used an orange pad as directed and set the speed to #5 on the Porter Cable. I broke it down for at least 10 minutes. Did pretty well on the scratches but still not perfect. I was a little nervous to use it because I know it is pretty aggressive but I felt like the scratches warranted it. Anyway does anyone think the SIP will improve on what Pinnacle accomplished or am I better off saving my money and returning it?

There are several areas of some minor micro marring that I will need to work on with my XMT #2 or #1 but I am confident I can get them out.