PDA

View Full Version : Prepping & DGP Sealant 3.0

Esse Ocho
08-25-2009, 02:05 PM
Hi Guys,

I'm a detailing enthusiast and familiar with several brands (Poorboy's, Meg's, Autoglym, Chem Guys etc.) I'm relatively new to Wolfgang, but recently bought the absolutely superb Black Diamond Tire Gel, got interested in the brand and now Paintwork Polish Enhancer and DGPS 3.0

Please allow me a quick question whilst detailing:

I've just polished my car with Poorboys Professional Polish (first orange CCS where needed, then on white, using Flex 3403 VRG rotary).

As a next step I intend to use Wolfgang Polish Enhancer, to refine the finish and clean any eventual residue. (Sorta instead of Dodo Lime Prime)

Usually I then like to apply a pure glaze - PB Black Hole in this case - before applying a sealant (either EX-P or Jetseal). After that I usually top the sealant with a wax (Natty's, Pete's 53, Dodo Supernatural, or even Zymöl Concours Glaze).

I get good (great say others) effects this way, so I like to go the same route, up to the sealant. I like to try DGPS (2x) on it's own at first, to fully appreciate it's quality.

The only thing I'm worried about with DGPS is the 'bonding' issue I read about.

So, is it possible to use Black Hole - maybe even covered with a coat of the amino functional EX-P - before applying DGPS?

Or is it absolutely crucial to apply DGPS directly after PPE on 'bare paint'?

(NB: Zymöl claims you NEED to apply Concours Glaze on 'bare paint', but that's been debunked).

Wondering what the case is here... ;)

TIA!

loudog2
08-25-2009, 02:47 PM
IMO there is no need for the galze if the paint is corrected. The PPE has mild fillers in it anyway. Use the PPE and apply the DGPS 3.0 after x 2. I recently did my car with the DGPS and Supernatural after polishing. I debated using the Pinnacle cleansing lotion before the DGPS. But, went with the DGPS on bare squeeky clean paint.

There has always been a debate if the wolfgang PPE, Dodo lime prime or Pinnacle cleansing lotion affects sealant bonding. I know it looks great under a carnuba.

Esse Ocho
08-25-2009, 07:36 PM
Thanks for your reply loudog2,

Perhaps I'll try just PPE and then DGPS, if I'm satisfied with the result of PPE.

However, for example, in the past I've used Black Hole after a final cleanse/polish with Lime Prime (also not strictly necessary according to many) ;) and - IMO - still noticed a visible improvement (on my Ebony Black Pearl paint).

I really like a glaze for the added depth, as well as the fillers. Therefore I'm still curious if anyone ever tried DGPS over anything else, like Poorboy's BH and/or EX-P (which is said to be a real good 'in-between' due to the amino functional resin). Just to know whether it's possible, and if so, if it's any good... :)

I know the opposite has been tried (http://www.autogeek.net/pbexp16.html) already... :xyxthumbs:

loudog2
08-25-2009, 07:44 PM
How did you like the lime prime? I used it last time(the one with micro-abrasives) followed by DGPS and Fuzion. It did a great job, and left the paint nice and glossy. Here are the photo's after.

Rsurfer
08-25-2009, 07:47 PM
DWG seems to be a good glaze either over or under any sealant.

Esse Ocho
08-26-2009, 07:08 AM
How did you like the lime prime? I used it last time(the one with micro-abrasives) followed by DGPS and Fuzion. It did a great job, and left the paint nice and glossy. Here are the photo's after.

I really like the Lime Prime as a final polish, it definitely adds some extra finesse to the prep work! The permanently yellowish-green stained pads are a just slight minus. All in all a fine Dodo product. (I was a bit underwhelmed by the beading/sheeting of their SN1 though, but that's another story) ;)

I'm curious about FPE for that matter, how it holds up against LP. Test spots are promising though! :)

Great shine on those pics! :xyxthumbs:

DWG seems to be a good glaze either over or under any sealant.

Thanks for the tip! That's not (yet) in my collection though... However, do you know of anyone who successfully tried DGPS over this (or any other non-Wolfgang) glaze?

Still a bit on the fence re the BH (+EX-P) as a final step under the DGPS here, so if anyone has experience with the bonding issue... Don't be shy! ;)

keke1987
08-26-2009, 08:22 AM
I've already use poorboy black hole before Wolfang DGPS and no problem for durability or bonding issue
process was
wolfgang PPE
poorboy black hole
WDGPS
wolfgang fuzion

Esse Ocho
08-26-2009, 09:21 AM
Ah, great! That's the answer I was hoping for! Thanks keke!

I'll go the same route then, except for the Füzion (that one is still on the wish list) ;)